List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't remember the taxi driver, I was thinking about a fight at the pub he had.
Belted a bouncer. Was 10 years ago. Things have changed and a young player doing something similar this year would face far harsher penalties through the courts and club.

Toby’s father got 9 months for head-butting a female police officer in 2019. A little light for my liking.

Think it was one and the same. Wasn’t really a “fight”.
Stepped in to help his mate who was wrestling with a bouncer when they were cut off from drinking.

Hit him with a crutch he was using then punched him three times.

No conviction recorded. $2500 fine.

Stepped in to help his mate who was wrestling with a bouncer when they were cut off from drinking.

Hit him with a crutch he was using then punched him three times.

No conviction recorded. $2500 fine.
That is how I remember it as well

So.... Been a while since I have been on here... But here we go:

If we lose both of Cumming & Perryman to big money offers then like someone else stated we could be the recipient of end of first round picks. Those added to out own 18th pick (after winning the flag) We would have pick 18,19,20 now that would be tasty! Seem we have so much depth everywhere with talent on all lines I think we would be crazy not to trade one or two of those picks into the first round next year.

The only area I see a weakness currently is in the ruck as after Briggs we don't have much in reserve. Usually you can pick up a 2nd rank ruckman for a pick in the 40's + so that will be no issue.

Do we also trade in for Elliot Himmelberg to perform back up ruck / key forward reserve position? Surely won't cost us anything more than a pick in the third round?

Exciting time to be a Giants fan.

If we lose both of Cumming & Perryman to big money offers then like someone else stated we could be the recipient of end of first round picks. Those added to out own 18th pick (after winning the flag) We would have pick 18,19,20 now that would be tasty! Seem we have so much depth everywhere with talent on all lines I think we would be crazy not to trade one or two of those picks into the first round next year.

The only area I see a weakness currently is in the ruck as after Briggs we don't have much in reserve. Usually you can pick up a 2nd rank ruckman for a pick in the 40's + so that will be no issue.

Do we also trade in for Elliot Himmelberg to perform back up ruck / key forward reserve position? Surely won't cost us anything more than a pick in the third round?

I was a no regarding EH until watching him last week. He is a solid option and better than I thought

Madden's looking really good in the reserves at the moment too.
He's a free agent, so no trade required.

dlanod beat me to the punch: Madden's stats in VFL are surprisingly good for a very young ruckman. I am no longer surprised by the club's 2-year extension earlier this year, that was outstanding foresight. Our only risk is another club coming to poach him. If he can do that for this year, it probably moves him into solid 2nd ruck territory from next year onwards.

Yes, I fully expect we'll go and get EH this year, as a free agent. He's solid enough, and is that "utility tall" who can cover forward, back and ruck (none well, of course).

Do we then get a third ruckman to replace Preuss? Possibly someone who's seen as washed up elsewhere? Or perhaps we go get another young ruck to start building up. Logan Smith in the GWS Academy would be one option; I'm sure there will be others uncovered in the U18 championships or could be pulled from VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with EH is he has too many occasions where he is out bodied too easily. By his age he should be better in the contest.
Interestingly, this appears to be where Madden is starting to thrive.
Meh he is costing us nothing, if he comes, and he is back up.
Wil be used in a tweet to be the first time brothers play at the Giants.

Of course he could prove us wrong and kill it under Kingers.

Meh he is costing us nothing, if he comes, and he is back up.
Wil be used in a tweet to be the first time brothers play at the Giants.

Of course he could prove us wrong and kill it under Kingers.

I lean towards him killing it under Kingers.

The club has been pretty on point with the players they've signed on in recent times*, I reckon they'd be onto something with this signing if they pursue it by seasons end.

*Not sure what was occurring prior to me arriving on the Giants scene but looking at our players now, seems like a lot of good selections.

I'd be interested to see if we got any bites trying to move up the order for a top 8 pick to give us a shot at one of the top end mids in the draft, I think our current young midfield brigade is fairly light on when considering they're going to be replacing the likes of Cogs and Jelly long term, another top end prospect to go into the mix is never a bad thing.

Cumming injured again. If he can't get on the park it seems less and less likely a big offer comes from another club. He might end up staying at this rate

Moneyball: All the latest trade news from across the AFL

By GLENN MCFARLANE

SPORTS REPORTER

JON RALPH

SPORTS REPORTER

and JAY CLARK

SPORTS REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

08 MAY 2024

Versatile Giant’s stock rising across the AFL

Footy’s most lucrative three letters have become “UFA” as unrestricted free agent Harry Perryman’s value skyrockets despite only a single top-ten best-and-fairest result in his entire career.

The Giants have offered general defender Perryman a five-year offer but are aware clubs will offer the free agent $800,000 or more per season to jump ship.

The extraordinary price for a general defender comes because of his free agency status in period where the salary cap will jump 27 per cent from early 2023 to 2025.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide are leading the chase, with the Giants offer is around $600,000-$656,000 a season.

So Perryman might have to sacrifice more than a million dollars over the life of his contract if he wants to stay.

He is a loyal clubman and his long-time girlfriend Jamie-Lee Price plays netball for the Giants and is an Australian Diamond.

So it would be a huge decision to leave a club in the premiership window, with GWS hopeful he will follow Harry Himmelberg in accepting an excellent contract that still falls short of rival offers.

Perryman’s only top-10 result since being taken at pick 14 from the Riverine town of Collingullie is a third-placing in the 2020 season.

This year he is ranked 25th of all general defenders in football and is the 140th ranked player via Champion Data’s Player Rankings.

He plays a valuable role as a defender taking difficult match-ups to allow Lachie Whitfield and Lachie Ash to play a more offensive role.

He is also in the club’s leadership group for the second year, but is no one’s idea of a champion player.

Yet with so many clubs having significant salary cap space both South Australian clubs are interested.

The Giants are also keen to secure fellow free agent Isaac Cummings – currently playing in the VFL – but the Suns have interest in him as a rebounding defender.

The salary cap hits a staggering $17.7 million in 2025 _ as well as a $1 million marking allowance – so clubs keen to get into contention are prepared to spend that cash.

Moneyball: All the latest trade news from across the AFL

By GLENN MCFARLANE

SPORTS REPORTER

JON RALPH

SPORTS REPORTER

and JAY CLARK

SPORTS REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

08 MAY 2024

Versatile Giant’s stock rising across the AFL

Footy’s most lucrative three letters have become “UFA” as unrestricted free agent Harry Perryman’s value skyrockets despite only a single top-ten best-and-fairest result in his entire career.

The Giants have offered general defender Perryman a five-year offer but are aware clubs will offer the free agent $800,000 or more per season to jump ship.

The extraordinary price for a general defender comes because of his free agency status in period where the salary cap will jump 27 per cent from early 2023 to 2025.

Port Adelaide and Adelaide are leading the chase, with the Giants offer is around $600,000-$656,000 a season.

So Perryman might have to sacrifice more than a million dollars over the life of his contract if he wants to stay.

He is a loyal clubman and his long-time girlfriend Jamie-Lee Price plays netball for the Giants and is an Australian Diamond.

So it would be a huge decision to leave a club in the premiership window, with GWS hopeful he will follow Harry Himmelberg in accepting an excellent contract that still falls short of rival offers.

Perryman’s only top-10 result since being taken at pick 14 from the Riverine town of Collingullie is a third-placing in the 2020 season.

This year he is ranked 25th of all general defenders in football and is the 140th ranked player via Champion Data’s Player Rankings.

He plays a valuable role as a defender taking difficult match-ups to allow Lachie Whitfield and Lachie Ash to play a more offensive role.

He is also in the club’s leadership group for the second year, but is no one’s idea of a champion player.

Yet with so many clubs having significant salary cap space both South Australian clubs are interested.

The Giants are also keen to secure fellow free agent Isaac Cummings – currently playing in the VFL – but the Suns have interest in him as a rebounding defender.

The salary cap hits a staggering $17.7 million in 2025 _ as well as a $1 million marking allowance – so clubs keen to get into contention are prepared to spend that cash.
Marketing allowance?

A profile on Sam Taylor prior to his 100th match today. Other than Taylor wanting to have the nickname “Serge” (and not “Slammer”!) , the most interesting answer was his absolute commitment to stay with us - hope our club signs him up soon as his contract expires next year and there will be other clubs chasing him with big $

Do you see yourself staying at the Giants long-term?
Definitely. I love the club and I want to win games. I'm surrounded by great people and I don't think there's any better place to be so hopefully we can get something done but I'll leave that to my manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back