Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Ive ever seen a player spoil a team mate in a better position that Josh. It would be two or three per game..

He has a crack but gee theres a reason Geelong and Brisbane didnt have him for long.

He would be brilliant as a KPB in our VFL side and that where he should stay..

I don’t think Ive ever seen a player spoil a team mate in a better position that Josh. It would be two or three per game..

He has a crack but gee theres a reason Geelong and Brisbane didnt have him for long.

He would be brilliant as a KPB in our VFL side and that where he should stay..
If only we had someone to take his spot 🤔

Bergman plays off half back, not a key position defender.
Reminds me of Laidley, would love to see him given an opportunity soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would McGuiness be a better option than Walker in about 6 - 10 weeks?

Because for all his flaws he consistently wins contests that stop opposition goals. Right now we need a one on one defender more than an intercepting defender.

We're under too much pressure down there because everything breaks down up field. But assuming we get fit (and we should by the second half of the season, we'll have a greater improvement curve thru match fitness than the fitter sides because they're already at that level, whereas we won't be till about rounds 12-20,) then we will be at least able to pressure opposition attacks and their entries will be less of a walk in the park. So hopefully by then MM can come into the side and clean up those pressured entries.

Right now defensive structure is not helping us anyway cos we don't have time to set it up. That's not on the defense themselves.

We need him now and hopefully we won't for the second half of the season. But I'd still give him another year for depth.

Because for all his flaws he consistently wins contests that stop opposition goals. Right now we need a one on one defender more than an intercepting defender.

We're under too much pressure down there because everything breaks down up field. But assuming we get fit (and we should by the second half of the season, we'll have a greater improvement curve thru match fitness than the fitter sides because they're already at that level, whereas we won't be till about rounds 12-20,) then we will be at least able to pressure opposition attacks and their entries will be less of a walk in the park. So hopefully by then MM can come into the side and clean up those pressured entries.

Right now defensive structure is not helping us anyway cos we don't have time to set it up. That's not on the defense themselves.

We need him now and hopefully we won't for the second half of the season. But I'd still give him another year for depth.
I honestly think the sooner we thank Walker for his service the better off we will be, but moving the Captain out has arguably made it so that we can play a bloke like walker as a 1v1 and be able to bring in a mobile intercepting defender. The dilemma is that it is also probably McDonald's best spot, but he is probably undersized at AFL level for the role. I wouldn't be against having someone like McGuiness into that back 6 with Walker still there and see how it goes.

The ultimate cooler.

Everything he touches, turns to s**t.
Sadly I kind of agree. He's just not proactive enough at this level, when filling in as depth it works okay. When a week in week out player teams have him worked out and sit off him for the easy pickings. Soon.

Sadly I kind of agree. He's just not proactive enough at this level, when filling in as depth it works okay. When a week in week out player teams have him worked out and sit off him for the easy pickings. Soon.
Slow decision maker, taking teammates out of contests but having no impact himself, horrific disposal.

The list goes on.

Slow decision maker, taking teammates out of contests but having no impact himself, horrific disposal.

The list goes on.
Yep. Big heart but we should have been in a position last year list wise to let him go and thank him for his service. It would have been a respectful and mutally beneficial parting. Unfortunately it now looks like it will need to get dark before it happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Big heart but we should have been in a position last year list wise to let him go and thank him for his service. It would have been a respectful and mutally beneficial parting. Unfortunately it now looks like it will need to get dark before it happens.
The fact the list management team dismissed the KPD situation when questioned is a massive red flag.

People keep saying Corr isn't a kpd but he absolutely his. I think McKay and Corr man the key posts, mcguiness perhaps gets a run later in the year as a 3rd kpd. I think as someone else said moving Jack to FF has created an opportunity for Lmac or even Bonar/Young to also play more mopping up. I think though should we choose to play one ruckman and comben, Josh would be used as a 2nd ruck. Not sure I'd want comben in the ruck just yet.

People keep saying Corr isn't a kpd but he absolutely his. I think McKay and Corr man the key posts, mcguiness perhaps gets a run later in the year as a 3rd kpd. I think as someone else said moving Jack to FF has created an opportunity for Lmac or even Bonar/Young to also play more mopping up. I think though should we choose to play one ruckman and comben, Josh would be used as a 2nd ruck. Not sure I'd want comben in the ruck just yet.

Walker was better than Corr and not the worst yesterday , 80% DE, 6 intercepts and 60% of his possessions were contested.

Regardless, McGuiness is looking likely to force him out by years end. McGuiness played a great game on the weekend and if he keeps it up it could be sooner than we think!

Last edited:
He is doing his job as well as he can and has to contend with a lot of slingshot entries.

If we had a more mature line in front of him, we wouldn't be talking about him.

Thommo and Tarrant had to deal with losing contests because of this stuff. You can't be superhero forever.

Walker was better than Corr and not the worst yesterday , 80% DE, 6 intercepts and 60% of his possessions were contested.

Regardless, McGuiness is looking likely to force him out by years end. McGuiness player a great game on the weekend and if he keeps it up it could be sooner than we think!
steady on, old friend; McGuiness is still very slight, and might have one of those body types that doesn't really bulk out - at best, he could play as third tall, but the consequences of him playing on a power forward might be unpleasant to behold. People can bag Walker all they like, but at least he can play on the gorillas if needed, there's no chance McGuiness can atm

steady on, old friend; McGuiness is still very slight, and might have one of those body types that doesn't really bulk out - at best, he could play as third tall, but the consequences of him playing on a power forward might be unpleasant to behold. People can bag Walker all they like, but at least he can play on the gorillas if needed, there's no chance McGuiness can atm

Agree on all points.

But in my eyes, Corr would need to be 2nd KPD and McGuiness 3rd tall as you suggest. McGuiness is only 192cms.

He's doing all the right things to create an opportunity if Walkers or Corr's form for that matter drops off but not for a few months and a few roast chickens.

FWIW - i'm one of Walkers biggest defenders - I'm very thankful we have him.

I agree Corr and McKay can both be KPDs with McGuiness as a third tall. That could work. But Walker as a ruck does have some merit too and I dunno how that works with the other three back, Comben and Larkey.

I agree Corr and McKay can both be KPDs with McGuiness as a third tall. That could work. But Walker as a ruck does have some merit too and I dunno how that works with the other three back, Comben and Larkey.
Either way we are a long way from McGuiness bumping Walker off the perch. As merls said Walker is a big boy, so we would be changing how we approach the back 6 as a whole for McGuiness in his current state to come in and play.

He is doing his job as well as he can and has to contend with a lot of slingshot entries.

If we had a more mature line in front of him, we wouldn't be talking about him.

Thommo and Tarrant had to deal with losing contests because of this stuff. You can't be superhero forever.
I would give my second child to have a 26 yr old Hunter or Taz right now..

Walker is on borrowed time, honest toiler and good bloke but very limited footballer.

Either way we are a long way from McGuiness bumping Walker off the perch. As merls said Walker is a big boy, so we would be changing how we approach the back 6 as a whole for McGuiness in his current state to come in and play.
There is nothing wrong with picking sides depending on the oppositioin's forward set up. For example against a side like Geelong bring in Josh and against the Tigers swap him for McGuiness. (Depending on their forward set up with Balta I guess.)

Before we get there McGuiness needs a body of work in the VFL and we need more pressure on opposition f50 entries.

Agree on all points.

But in my eyes, Corr would need to be 2nd KPD and McGuiness 3rd tall as you suggest. McGuiness is only 192cms.

He's doing all the right things to create an opportunity if Walkers or Corr's form for that matter drops off but not for a few months and a few roast chickens.

FWIW - i'm one of Walkers biggest defenders - I'm very thankful we have him.
He is now 196.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back