Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That's really sad news. Poor guy, was playing some seriously good footy. Fingers crossed he can find his way back for a farewell game at the very least, as unlikely as that may be.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Really saddened to hear about Melks. I will be barracking for dees if we get knocked out first (likely) but losing Melks in such great form will definitely hurt. Really liked Melksham since he has been in the red and blue. One of those true match winners that can make a dull game exciting. Hope he gets back next year and gets another crack at a title.

Love Melk! Same with Hibberd, saw them both as Essendon players coming over, but they're both Demons forever now.

So happy they came over to us after post the drugs saga, saw a good club in us on the rise, and we're still strong now, I reckon they'd be very happy with the choice they made.

Hope he stays on in some capacity, great clubman, demon for life.
Our club's the winner of having them both, as Demons...

Really shattering, he really proved a lot of us wrong this year myself included.

I would love to see him given. Year to get himself right and see what he can do when he is for hopefully it’s a finals tilt next year.

Love ya Melk
I'd love to see him rookied and play as a leader for Casey teaching developing the up-n-comers.

One of our best wins of the season and I almost didn't care I was that flat with this. No one else in the side you'd want the ball in the hands of anywhere inside 40 with a shot at goal deep in the last.

To go from a joke on this board with the abuse he was copping to really being one of the main reasons we made top 4 and even have a shot at this flag is an unreal comeback and I'm ******* gutted he ain't gonna play in the finals

Some of the contested pack grabs he'd been taking lately have been incredible for a guy of his height and age, couple of rippers vs Brisbane and another beauty on the weekend vs the Swans to which he converted a goal on the set shot (note: his kick wasn't one of those stupid low drop punts, beautiful kick with some height :) )

We just dont have anyone who can take the contested marks he'd been taking in our front half, not to mention the refusal to let the oppositions best defender mark the ball if he cant. The competitive juice Melk has brought the past 2 months are going to be sorely missed this finals campaign, massive blow and gut punch not just for him but for the team. :(

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the contested pack grabs he'd been taking lately have been incredible for a guy of his height and age, couple of rippers vs Brisbane and another beauty on the weekend vs the Swans to which he converted a goal on the set shot (note: his kick wasn't one of those stupid low drop punts, beautiful kick with some height :) )

We just dont have anyone who can take the contested marks he'd been taking in our front half, not to mention the refusal to let the oppositions best defender mark the ball if he cant. The competitive juice Melk has brought the past 2 months are going to be sorely missed this finals campaign, massive blow and gut punch not just for him but for the team. :(
Mate if he'd played this way from round 1 he'd be in AA discussions. You're right though his ability to win outnumbered contests or make a big moment his has been huge. He's a massive blow, seemed to learn his limitations and adapt to his new role perfectly this year. heck

I thought when Fritsch went down Melksham would come in and stink it up - but massive credit to him for pulling out probably career best form.

Gutted he won't be able to play a part in this year's finals series but he will end his career a melbourne favorite if he does decide to hang the boots up.

He's a player that always looks better at AFL level than VFL and has always relished a big moment. Onya Melk - hopefully the players can dig a little deeper in September for you.

Jake Melksham’s birthday today.

Poor bastard.

Get him in the coaches box for the finals, and on the ground as assistant during breaks.

Was a critic the last couple of years but he was really giving us something this season and kudos to him for working hard and earning his spot in the side. Pretty easy to just see out your contract in the 2s at his age and on the outer, but he clearly wanted to be part of some success.

Personally not for giving him a senior contract if he's unlikely to play at all next year but could do worse than a rookie spot or some type of mentoring role at the club.

It really shouldn't help, but you hope that if there was any complacency at all left in this team in regards to do every little thing to win a flag, you'd hope seeing Melk go down on the eve of finals would remind this group to ******* make this count because you never know when it could be over

It really shouldn't help, but you hope that if there was any complacency at all left in this team in regards to do every little thing to win a flag, you'd hope seeing Melk go down on the eve of finals would remind this group to ******* make this count because you never know when it could be over

I’m very scared of saying this out loud but we’ve got that steeliness back in our game again. I’m not sure if we are better than Brisbane or the pies, but anyone who beats us will have to play bloody well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back