Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of egg on my face with Melk. Thought he was cooked even last year. Is now a really dangerous part of our team who also defends much better than I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair I would think the majority of the people on this board are in the same boat, myself included.

No one expected this purple patch from him.

To be fair I think we all wrote him off.

My only concern with Melksham has been if he can sustain this. He has always struck me as a high IQ player who sometimes messes up his execution.

I have always had absolute belief he can pop up and have a real impact BUT can he keep going. Would love him to keep this up and finish his career with a GF win (because if he keeps playing like this he will be huge for the team).

Thread overdue for some Melk love, that tap on to Chandler was straight out of the Casey Globetrotters playbook. Love how committed to defense he is also, if he cant mark the ball hes determined to make sure his opponent doesn't either.

Luke Darcy: “FOR GOAL NUMBER FI-OUR!!!”

I definitely wrote him off.

He had the purple patch late last year too, then had two shocking finals. So I really hope he carries this form into finals when the tempo ratchets up.

He's definitely moving much better than previous years and is fighting for everything in the air and on the ground. Good on him. Plays better at AFL level than at Casey funnily enough.

I definitely wrote him off.

He had the purple patch late last year too, then had two shocking finals. So I really hope he carries this form into finals when the tempo ratchets up.

He's definitely moving much better than previous years and is fighting for everything in the air and on the ground. Good on him. Plays better at AFL level than at Casey funnily enough.
I'd say his purple patch this year has been better than his purple patch last year.

Except for that game against Carlton, that was unreal

Yep, I wrote him off as well.

Really enjoying his output and on form alone he deserves another contract imo.
I know someone who mixes in the same broad social circles as Melk. They’re also a Melbourne supporter.

They were at the same kid’s party and he said that this was going to be his last year in the AFL and next year would be local footy.

This was a few months back when he was in the VFL. Things may have changed since.

Lot of egg on my face with Melk. Thought he was cooked even last year. Is now a really dangerous part of our team who also defends much better than I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I reckon I've been melkshams biggest fan and even I cant pretend I saw this coming. Looks fitter than he has for a while kinda feels like his role is perfect for him

Why dont commentators refer to the pocket in front of the members/Ponsford as Jake's pocket like they did at AO for Eddie Betts?

His left foot snaps never miss from there.
"THE MELK MAN KICKS IT FROM THE CORNER SHOP!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say his purple patch this year has been better than his purple patch last year.

Except for that game against Carlton, that was unreal
he was unbelievable in that Carlton game late last year though

With the news of Melk potentially tearing his ACL, Headless has inspired me to open up a thread based on our favourite moments from the man with ice in his veins.

If this is the end (hopefully not), he's been a brilliant clubman and a key contributor to our success on plenty of occasions. We love you, Melky 💖

Just speaking on his career though, I was annoyed when we got him, thought it was a ******* terrible idea as I considered him nothing more than a faux tough guy and inconsistent as heck, had him as a delist candidate in 2-3 years. How ones opinion can change. A pleasure to watch when in full flight in 2018, so dangerous around goal and a fantastic field kick over a distance, grew into a great clubman and leader as others have mentioned. Never got the sooks up when dropped, worked his ass off to get another chance and made the most of his opportunities when they presented themselves. He should be so bloody proud of his year this season, many of us had written him off (including myself) and he made us look stupid. ******* love you Melk.

My favourite moment was his potential last one, sitting on the bench high fiving and encouraging his teammates when he would have known his career is probably over. Also hugely admirable he came back into the side as a 31yo when every campaigner had written him off (me included) and produces arguably career best footy. Onya Melk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back