Delisted 18. Charlie Constable (2018 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/a153f4d865832a1abfbe3b612b3db724

But having watched the Cats closely this year, Constable said he had been privately hoping for a little while now that he would be heading down the highway next year.

“I’m absolutely thrilled because it was the club I’d wanted to go to for the past two months, so for them to read my name out, I was over the moon,” Constable said.

“The first time I met with them was at the (national draft) combine and then they came over about a week ago and just had a chat.

“They didn’t really say anything about taking me, they just said they really liked how I play, but I had no idea at all.

“I don’t read too much into the phantom drafts or anything but I’d heard I might have gone higher, but I just go out there and try to do what I do which is to be strong and clean around the contest and that is what has got me drafted to a great club, so I couldn’t be happier.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/a153f4d865832a1abfbe3b612b3db724

He knows how to say the right things........

Interesting to read this bloke won his school’s B&F ahead of Andrew Brayshaw (pick #2), LDU (#4), Bonar (#11) and Clavarino (#35).
Seriously? Were they all at Haileybury?
Bloody sports scholarships.
That school (along with Caufield G) ripped off school athletics carnivals etc for years, before the APS, in frustation, gave into sports scholarships.

No wonder they won the APS Flag with that line up.

It'll be interesting to see where we play him, personally I think it might be more as a defender than mid or forward. I just think that Guthrie brothers depending there's more of an opening down back than in our stacked midfield or the nursery that is our forward line.

Ole Charlie will need to ruin a dozen pairs of runners before he gets an AFL gig I think. Potentially might get a taste like the Irish lad did but I am not expecting much for his first season.

Sorry for the intrusion guys, just want to say I think you got the pick of the crop in Constable.
May not have the pace, but more than makes up for it with an excellent football brain.
200+ gamer there, well done & good luck for the season.
A club my dear departed mother barracked for, can’t be all that bad.;)

Judging purely from the highlights package in this thread and what I've read on these boards, he seems to be a bit of a Clayton Oliver type - not overly athletic, but good in the contest and excellent at getting his arms free in a tackle and handballing to teammates on the outside. A fair comparison?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sounds like we have done well with this pick ... It would be interesting to see why it was Geelong he wanted to go to...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/b98a96932186405e3a32b562f6a9c57f

THEY call him “Chook”.

Geelong draftee Charlie Constable says Melbourne midfielder and mate Angus Brayshaw is to blame for the nickname. And there’s not much to it.

“That’s for my love of chicken,” Constable smiled.

“Everyone calls me that, and I’ve had that for the last three years. A nice roast chicken from Safeway is my go.”

Geelong’s dietitians shouldn’t be too unhappy with that, but Constable — who the Cats selected with pick 36 in the national draft — is hoping to make the shift from bayside Melbourne to Geelong and move in with a teammate, to “teach me the ropes and the professionalism needed to be a good player”.

The 18-year-old was in nappies when now-teammate Gary Ablett was embarking on his first pre-season.

e4485981294cbdd6fc9f24b074bbfe09

Ablett, 33, is now in his 17th and this week unveiled his new No.4 alongside Constable, who donned the hoops for the first time and will wear No.18.

It was evident that even after a few days at the club, the teenager couldn’t quite believe it.

“I’ve been having a look through some books that they gave me, and there’s some pretty big names on my locker and a few big names that we get to play with, which is pretty cool,” he said.

“We get to walk through the locker rooms with Gary Ablett and Joel Selwood, so it’s pretty surreal feeling.

“It’s obviously pretty surreal (to have his number unveiled alongside Ablett), but he’s a really nice guy. I’m sure all the first-year boys will learn a lot off him, which will be great.”

There is a familiar face.

Not only did Constable play state-league football with now-fellow Cat Lachie Fogarty — who the Cats selected with pick 22 in the recent national draft — but the duo have been mates since Under 12s.

Brayshaw, who was selected by Fremantle in the recent draft, joined Constable in the post-selection celebrations, but the teenager admitted some alone time was required as AFL officials including chief executive Gillon McLachlan read the names.

“I had just the family over, I didn’t really want the friends over,” Constable said.

“At about pick 20, I had to go to the other room and just watch it by myself — I got pretty nervous.

“When my name got read out to Geelong, I couldn’t be happier. It was the club I wanted to go to.”
Naturally, there were early nerves for Constable as he made his first trip to Geelong this week, with no time wasted in addressing what is expected of players entering the Cattery’s new facilities.

“It was clear from the start how strong the culture is here and how big they are on values and the person (as well as the player),” he said.

“We sat down with a few people this week and had a long chat about the person you need to be, and then talent comes second. So that’s really exciting to know how much emphasis they place on (that).

“In terms of (making the last two preliminary) finals, it’s pretty cool that hopefully we could play a few finals and maybe even win the flag.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/b98a96932186405e3a32b562f6a9c57f

Could have gone inside p15 ..we needed his type considering the amount of smaller types selected over the last couple of years.
He has the talent.
I didn't see him ever going top 15 personally, those guys are all pretty powerful or have pace, Constable's challenge will be whether he improves his aerobic capacity enough to make it, it's why he slid down the draft order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back