Delisted 18. Charlie Constable (2018 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong Football Club welcomes

Charlie Constable

at Pick 35

Go Catters

Last edited:

We have three picks who were all ranked top 20 pre draft, Wells has bent them over alright...

No Norm Smith medals given out tonight but on paper, yes, it seems we have done ok. No Wells specials from no where but its much nicer to read that people think he's done a heist rather than the opposite and taken some WTF is that?!?!

We shall see in time no doubt..

Go Catters

I'm not unhappy with the pick but I don't really understand where he will be playing. I would have thought a KPD, outside mid, KPF or even ruckmen would have made more sense to develop. Nothing against the talent though, he looks decent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hoping for him to slide to us P22 or24, kid was outstanding across the carnival for Vic Metro averaging 26 disposals.
Bit disappointed we left Noah Balta on the table considering Richmond jumped with their next pick after our P24.
3 more smalls, thank goodness we got Constable.

If we are looking to build a list for the future, we have the class smaller midfielders in Parfitt and Fogarty, and we have mid-sized midfielders like Cocky; but this guy looks like a nice bigger midfielder that can get the clearances. Not exactly what we need right now, but in 2-3 years he could easily make his way into the team.

Will be interested to see if he can play Forward and be a marking target. He seems strong enough in the air for marking, but that's against U18 midfielders, and many are smaller, so it will be interesting to see how he transitions in this regard.

Hopefully he can work on his Endurance, maybe he could turn into a Cameron Ling type, or better a Pat Cripps type. Not sure, time will tell, he was a major slider though.

Think we really stuffed up in overlooking Petty for this selection.

To me, he seems a taller version of GHS (opposed to a Cripps). He lacks the speed and agility of those gun tall mids. Meanwhile we have no back ups to Taylor and Henderson apart from Gardiner who is 50/50 to make it or be delisted. Poor decision for mine.

The other 3 selections were great.

Interestingly the two most accurate phantoms in Matt Balmer and Knightmare are polarised on this bloke. MB had him #6 in his power rankings and KM had him going in the 40s in his mock draft.

I'm not unhappy with the pick but I don't really understand where he will be playing. I would have thought a KPD, outside mid, KPF or even ruckmen would have made more sense to develop. Nothing against the talent though, he looks decent.

Sometimes you just have to take the best available player when you are later in a draft and there's a clear top 20 standard player there. My guess is that once Constable develops his endurance he will play in the midfield along with Danger both Selwoods and Menegola (with Duncan and Kelly up and down both wings) and both Guthries will play in defence (which is where I prefer them both) but we will see what setup we go with.

One thing is for sure there aren't many teams in the comp with more midfield firepower than us.

Think we really stuffed up in overlooking Petty for this selection.

To me, he seems a taller version of GHS (opposed to a Cripps). He lacks the speed and agility of those gun tall mids. Meanwhile we have no back ups to Taylor and Henderson apart from Gardiner who is 50/50 to make it or be delisted. Poor decision for mine.

The other 3 selections were great.

I think you will find the club is pretty confident that House will make a good fist of CHB after his year in the VFL this year and Kolo can and should go back to key defence not midfield.

The issue with GHS is he lacks depth in his kicking (he can hit decent targets but not quickly over 50-60m) and he doesn't have the height to fend off tackles and free his arms to dish off like Menegola goes and Constable looks like he does. There are plenty of slow gun inside mids (see JPK Priddis when he played Parker Prestia Sloane etc) they just have to have either the body big enough to always dispose in a tackle of the quality by foot to make up for a lack of legspeed. This kid looks to have that.

How many spots do we still have in the Rookie Draft? I think we could go a couple of talls there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back