Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be disappointed to see him in gold Coast colours. They desperately need some leadership on and off field. Should honestly try and go for a player coach role
Don’t think he would go interstate, his foundation is set up here in Melbourne, at punt road as a matter of fact and he has a young family

Cant think of any Melbourne clubs that would give him a run given his age and injuries
Agree, I think it would only be as a PR exercise if any one took him on

here is my take on the Houli retirement:

BH - Dimma i want to go on in 2022.
DH - yeah, but what if your legs don't hold up ?...and don't forget we may have to release/delist/trade/offload/cut/limit opportunity for Mansell and or Parker or Hugo or another to make it all fit money and list wise. someone has to go....we were hoping to promote these guys and get 300 solid games out of them.

BH - Dimma i understand and will do what's right for the future.
DH - We love you, your a tiger for life
BH - nods in agreement
:sweat:

I hope it's not true that he's resentful.

His time is clearly up, and I wasn't convinced he should have played on in 2021 either TBH.

He popped a calf before the 2020 GF, played regardless which was selfish in itself. Should have retired then after being lucky enough to be carried to that 3rd flag.

I'd like him to stay as a coach/mentor/VFL player.

He popped a calf before the 2020 GF, played regardless which was selfish in itself. Should have retired then after being lucky enough to be carried to that 3rd flag.

What are you talking about? He injured it during the GF, and played out the game through significant pain so we wouldn't be a man down

What are you talking about? He injured it during the GF, and played out the game through significant pain so we wouldn't be a man down

He had tightness in the warm-up and considered telling the coaching staff, but elected not to (ie to play on) before doing his calf almost immediately in the first quarter.

The responsible thing to do would have been to sit out the game.

He played the game out because it's a GF and Floss was concussed so if he didn't get on the park we would have been 2 down.

'Houli, who said he felt tightness in his calf before the match, heard a 'pop' as he ran across the field during an opening term'

Tightness is an absolute precursor to soft tissue injury. This is why blokes are often rested with tight calves/hamstrings etc.

Houli wants to go again with another club….. knew he was dirty he had to retire.
Should be enjoying retirement mate you were a shadow of the player you used to be.
completely up to him! doesn't affect his legacy/reputation at all if he tries to go again even if it doesn't work out

LET IT BE, LET IT GO: Inside the real Bachar Houli story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shouldve had one more year to go, the guy helped us get two GFs and played injured when Vlaus went down to sniperman.

We owed him another year, badly handled IMO. it's not as if he was a liability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back