Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd assume at 33 either the club or Bachar would've broached the subject earlier in the year. The last minute nature of it seemed a bit weird.

33yo and out of contract...I've no doubt the issue wouldve been discussed many times, even last year post GF with his busted calf and all.
From a list management perspective though you don't make firm decisions too early, just in case things change elsewhere on the list, trade possibilities, injury.
He knew, just didn't want to face it, like any other footballer. Normal.

"Bachar delt with it with pure class.".

The club could've done it better, I thought he had another year left TBO.

Let's not be the Tigers of old who fed our players and coaches to the lions.
Let's not be old Tigers. Age has to give way to youth, law of the jungle. Bachar understood in the end, gracious as always.

33yo and out of contract...I've no doubt the issue wouldve been discussed many times, even last year post GF with his busted calf and all.
From a list management perspective though you don't make firm decisions too early, just in case things change elsewhere on the list, trade possibilities, injury.
He knew, just didn't want to face it, like any other footballer. Normal.
Some great footage of these kinds of decisions and discussions on the prime doco making their mark
The segments with Eddie Betts show him having meetings with club doctors for the post season medical review and coaches discussing his future
It’s a great insight into how it all plays out

From the HS but I can't read because of the paywall. Any truth in regards to Bachar?
It’s from Tony Sheahan so probably not, you’ll find more info on the article in the club greats time to say goodbye thread

From the HS but I can't read because of the paywall. Any truth in regards to Bachar?
HOULI RETIREMENT HAUNTS HIM

Retired Tiger Bachar Houli wants to play for another AFL club in 2022.
Houli was forced into calling time on Thursday by the Tigers, a decision he already regrets.
The club offered him a farewell game against Hawthorn at the MCG yesterday but he decided against playing one last game for the yellow and black in the hope of wearing another club’s colours next season.

Bachar Houli wants to play on. Picture: Michael Klein

Bachar Houli wants to play on. Picture: Michael Klein

Houli woke up Friday morning angry and resentful, seeking counsel from friends as to what he should do.
But one club Houli was keen on playing for next year told Sheahan Ink Houli’s age and injuries would rule him out of contention.
The 33-year-old managed just 12 games this year, and 13 in 2020.
According to Houli insiders, Richmond told him he would be re-signed for next season during the year, but the club’s ordinary finish forced them into making the tough decision.
Captain Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt will retire next year with the club bringing forward Houli’s retirement.
He has vowed to train throughout the summer in order to impress potential suitors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to be overly speculative. Our fd ultimately decided our list would be better served investing in younger guys which at the end of the day is their responsibility to make calls like that. If bachar still feels he has the body and hunger to continue elsewhere and a team wants him on board that's completely his call and everyone here would wish him the best I'm sure (unless it's against us in a gf of course!)

Sometimes ya gotta know when to go...but good luck to the champion if he thinks he can do it and add value to a club. Could see the bummers giving him a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back