Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What an awesome guy and career. Without him, there is no Dynasty. The Dynasty only happens because of 2017 & without Houli & Rance's incredible defensive performance in the GF - we do not win that game, especially in the first half. His performance in that game was decisive to our win. He clearly wanted to go again based on his comments earlier this week - but I do think now is the right time for him. His body was not holding up as well as he thought - he leaves a massive hole in our backline though. I don't think Rioli is the answer there, so will be interesting to see what the long term plan is

Unfortunately it is Effective immediately. Always a shame when you dont know that you are seeing a player for the last game. Must be harder for the player to have it called by injury at a random point in a game.

Great shame for both Bach and Dave to not have a massive chunk of the Tiger Army give them the farewell they so thoroughly deserve. With any luck we can kick off next year with full crowds back and remind these two champions one last time how deeply appreciated their service was.

I'm taking heart from the fact that they'll both have the the sights and sounds from 3 glorious flags in their memories for the rest of their lives.

Great shame for both Bach and Dave to not have a massive chunk of the Tiger Army give them the farewell they so thoroughly deserve. With any luck we can kick off next year with full crowds back and remind these two champions one last time how deeply appreciated their service was.

I'm taking heart from the fact that they'll both have the the sights and sounds from 3 glorious flags in their memories for the rest of their lives.

At least we have some quality coming in for our homecoming hero bit for home games. We were scraping the barrel last time I was at a game.... I've actually forgotten who it was but remember thinking 'wow'.... I want to say Lionel Proctor but that wouldn't be right :(

At least we have some quality coming in for our homecoming hero bit for home games. We were scraping the barrel last time I was at a game.... I've actually forgotten who it was but remember thinking 'wow'.... I want to say Lionel Proctor but that wouldn't be right :(
images (1) (11).jpeg

LOL...been some *interesting* 'named after past players for each side' games in recent weeks too. ;)

Ah Strawbs.... the good old days when we would bring in washed up decent players so they could get a few more paychecks..... I could also get a seat at the ground pretty easily.
You could take your pick for a seat back in those days.

You could take your pick for a seat back in those days.

I used to have basically a whole bay in the Ponsford part of the MCC.... shocking spot for watching footy but I loved it. I could yell and scream, pace up and down with no-one near me. The trade off.... we were putrid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done bachar.... a great role model and player for our club! He nearly won two NS medals if it wasn't for a number 4.
Honestly, we lost two remarkable players this week to retirement. and maybe another as our dynasty winds up to an end.
These players cant be replaced right now. but I hope our new guys have something to aspire to.

hey did bashar retire voluntarily? sounds like it was suggested?

Time to go fishing: Richmond flag hero Bachar Houli in retirement shock, effective immediately (afl.com.au)

Edit, yep, it came from the top...Houli wanted to stay on.

yeah but its true.....
Not the point. It's actually just stating the bleeding obvious. The point is he's championed other retiring players in his little column before but because he's Richmond it's 'let's go the gutter angle'.

Not the point. It's actually just stating the bleeding obvious. The point is he's championed other retiring players in his little column before but because he's Richmond it's 'let's go the gutter angle'.
"Bachar delt with it with pure class.".

The club could've done it better, I thought he had another year left TBO.

Let's not be the Tigers of old who fed our players and coaches to the lions.

"Bachar delt with it with pure class.".

The club could've done it better, I thought he had another year left TBO.

Let's not be the Tigers of old who fed our players and coaches to the lions.
The fact he clearly hadn't been spoken to about it until basically the day he announced his retirement says either the club was waiting till the very last minute while behind the scenes plans took shape or they really let him down and botched it completely. Or, I guess when he said he 100% wants to play on it was with another club in mind and he changed his tune later in the week.

Players never know when they're done. Always think they can go again...a good break, pre season...flying.
Decision is almost always led by management, whether directly or led to the obvious conclusion.
Nothing sinister, it's just human nature
You'd assume at 33 either the club or Bachar would've broached the subject earlier in the year. The last minute nature of it seemed a bit weird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back