#13 - Taylor Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Taylor Walker on a thoroughly deserved Rising Star nomination :thumbsu:

[youtube]qx5IhEos7LQ&fmt=18[/youtube]
NAB AFL Rising Star 2009 - Round 10 Nominee - Taylor Walker (Adelaide Crows)
Talented forward sensation, Taylor Walker from the Adelaide Football Club has been awarded the NAB AFL Rising Star 2009 nomination for Round 10.

Walker - recruited from Broken Hill through the NSW Scholarship Program with pick 75 in the 2007 National Draft - kicked 5 first-half goals in Adelaide's 27 point victory over reigning premier Hawthorn at AAMI Stadium on Sunday, taking his goal-kicking tally to 20 in his debut season.

'Texas' becomes the third Crows' youngster nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star award in 2009 following the recognition of Patrick Dangerfield in Round 3 and Andy Otten in Round 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5IhEos7LQ&fmt=18
(Click to watch video in WIDESCREEN)

I heard that 5AA were going to do an interview with Walker today but I had to teach, so I left my computer on recording the radio for seven hours while I taught, went to a birthday party, played some cards, and finally got back home :eek: Then I cut out the interview and uploaded it and here we are!

walker_interview.mp3 - 12.03MB

The interview in short:

- Taylor keeps referring to how different life is to being back in Broken Hill (which he says "has 27 people in it").
- Doesn't know what the twirl the hands around the head signal means and says he doesn't really have any role in particular in the forward line other than to just play there. Said he doesn't have a role in the zone.
- Says his biggest problem is his consistency. Claims his second quarter was poor because he was getting too excited after his good first half. Either extremely honest or just not well trained enough to avoid giving such an answer but it was great to hear such honesty.
- Says that his playing weight is now 93kg (not the 87kg that it is currently listed at).
- Says Craigy is a fantastic coach, he respects Craigy and that everything he says is right. Says Craigy gave him a bake once about needing to hunt the ball when he didn't have it. Says he really loves playing at Adelaide under Craigy.
- Said that players love to hit forwards in the ribs when the umps aren't watching but that doesn't bother him.
- Got asked by Graham if he had felt the pressure to get a Rising Star nom after Otten and Danger had received them and he said he didn't know how to answer the question :D
- Says his mum is his hairdresser and seemed quite amused when Rowe told him he needed a haircut.
- Said that Biglands was the one who raised the story about Walker not liking the 'Tex' nickname. He said he would be happy with any nickname, Tex or Wacky or otherwise.

Edit: Listening to it again, he said twenty thousand, not twenty seven people in Broken Hill. Oh well :eek:

Fitzy interviewed him recently as well, it was on Nova this morning at about 8:30am. Was pretty funny, much more light hearted than I guess the 5AA interview was. He said he rates media interviews a 1 or 2 out of 10 though, lol.

Fitzy interviewed him recently as well, it was on Nova this morning at about 8:30am. Was pretty funny, much more light hearted than I guess the 5AA interview was. He said he rates media interviews a 1 or 2 out of 10 though, lol.

Yah, I was hoping to find a copy of that online somewhere but never did =\ Is it on a podcast somewhere?

Iddy - my dedication to go out and party instead of staying at home and posting about footy? :D Nah, I wanted to hear it as much as anything else.

Yah, I was hoping to find a copy of that online somewhere but never did =\ Is it on a podcast somewhere?

No idea, I'd have to check out the Nova site when I have a spare 10 minutes.

Edit: Turns out I have more spare time than I thought.
http://nova919.com.au/site/shows/fitzy_claire_jules.aspx
They have podcasts of each show but today's isn't up yet. It will probably be up later tonight or tomorrow morning I'd say. If you want to take the Walker interview off just go to near the end of the show, its one of the last things.

I heard that 5AA were going to do an interview with Walker today but I had to teach, so I left my computer on recording the radio for seven hours while I taught, went to a birthday party, played some cards, and finally got back home :eek: Then I cut out the interview and uploaded it and here we are!

walker_interview.mp3 - 12.03MB

The interview in short:

- Taylor keeps referring to how different life is to being back in Broken Hill (which he says "has 27 people in it").
- Doesn't know what the twirl the hands around the head signal means and says he doesn't really have any role in particular in the forward line other than to just play there. Said he doesn't have a role in the zone.
- Says his biggest problem is his consistency. Claims his second quarter was poor because he was getting too excited after his good first half. Either extremely honest or just not well trained enough to avoid giving such an answer but it was great to hear such honesty.
- Says that his playing weight is now 93kg (not the 87kg that it is currently listed at).
- Says Craigy is a fantastic coach, he respects Craigy and that everything he says is right. Says Craigy gave him a bake once about needing to hunt the ball when he didn't have it. Says he really loves playing at Adelaide under Craigy.
- Said that players love to hit forwards in the ribs when the umps aren't watching but that doesn't bother him.
- Got asked by Graham if he had felt the pressure to get a Rising Star nom after Otten and Danger had received them and he said he didn't know how to answer the question :D
- Says his mum is his hairdresser and seemed quite amused when Rowe told him he needed a haircut.
- Said that Biglands was the one who raised the story about Walker not liking the 'Tex' nickname. He said he would be happy with any nickname, Tex or Wacky or otherwise.

Edit: Listening to it again, he said twenty thousand, not twenty seven people in Broken Hill. Oh well :eek:
He also mentions 'Mark Ross' was the man who found him originally.

No idea, I'd have to check out the Nova site when I have a spare 10 minutes.

Edit: Turns out I have more spare time than I thought.
http://nova919.com.au/site/shows/fitzy_claire_jules.aspx
They have podcasts of each show but today's isn't up yet. It will probably be up later tonight or tomorrow morning I'd say. If you want to take the Walker interview off just go to near the end of the show, its one of the last things.

Wasn't it from a couple of weeks ago or something though? Do they not have that one up yet?

Over the last month you have jumped from #2 to #1 in my heart:). But that was more to do with CC getting his youtube account terminated but meh:p

Keep it up:thumbsu:. I hope to see at the end of the year, one for every single goal. Which at the current rate will be very close to 50:D (give or take 5 depending on how deep into the finals we go)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I assure you, there will be videos for every goal he kicks this year. In future years it will be dependent on my ability to get ahold of match replays but I'm quietly confident I'll be able to do it.

CC's account getting deleted was a tragedy, I wish there was something we could do :( He hasn't been around much since then either.

Anyway, back on topic - who wants to place money on how many goals Tex will kick this week? $20 says 2 goals :D

Oh I assure you, there will be videos for every goal he kicks this year. In future years it will be dependent on my ability to get ahold of match replays but I'm quietly confident I'll be able to do it.

CC's account getting deleted was a tragedy, I wish there was something we could do :( He hasn't been around much since then either.

Anyway, back on topic - who wants to place money on how many goals Tex will kick this week? $20 says 2 goals :D
Ill put $70 on 7 with 5 in the second half in a 130 point win. (am I being too optimistic?:eek:)

That naughty fella got banned for a week for 'an offensive remark' by a moderator with a picture of Ben Cousins giving the finger as his avatar. ;)

CC's still kicking on though...

He should be back in full flight later this week.

That naughty fella got banned for a week for 'an offensive remark' by a moderator with a picture of Ben Cousins giving the finger as his avatar. ;)

CC's still kicking on though...

He should be back in full flight later this week.
I can swear I saw a moderater with that avatar, and another person as well. CC should feel hard done by. Hopefully he gets back soon

Not sure where to put this, but here seemed a reasonable spot.
I heard young Taylor was out and about at the cricket on the weekend.
From the reports, he was enjoying himself in the middle of the hill crowd, was very loud and as one described it 'absolutely smashed'.

Just a good old country boy being a good old country boy!

Great article

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/87970/default.aspx

“I couldn’t be happier with what Taylor’s doing at the moment and when we meet as a match committee after training to debrief he’s one player being talked about.

“The coaches are sitting around saying, ‘did you see Taylor out on the track today?” It’s a great sign for a player when the coaches want to talk about him in a positive sense in debrief.”

That really is a great article. Glad to hear he's catching the eye of the coaches again, history tells us that when the coaches talk someone up preseason they tend to play next year so fingers crossed he's coming back into the side to stay :thumbsu:

Also super pleased that he's talking about working on his agility. I was wondering if he'd be able to make inroads on this at all, but if he's working on it I'm sure it will improve.

Great work Taylor Walker :thumbsu: Keep working your ass off mate! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back