AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

8 tackles as a KPD is not realistic. Fletcher, Scarlett and Rance did it once collectively across their career's.

ok so 8 might have been a stretch but 6 would be a pass.

Im sure if i was to google stats on most defenders they all would have had games of or more tackles kpd or otherwise.

ok so 8 might have been a stretch but 6 would be a pass.

Im sure if i was to google stats on most defenders they all would have had games of or more tackles kpd or otherwise.
Defenders as a general to me don't have large tackle numbers. They're either intercepting or spoiling.

Fwiw. Same age.

And most of the discrepancies can be explained by the different roles they play.
Who are you boncer34 - bringing facts to an emotional debate?!?!

The stats don’t lie…

Ok, usually stats are just manipulative interpretations to prove a misguided point.

But these do show at a competitive age, Cox is on a reasonable trajectory. In comparison. For now. Will be hard to replicate Blicavs subsequent trajectory but the (dreaded) potential is there… backed by stats (for what they’re worth).

BTW - Cox has (slightly) more 1%ers…

There’s never been a 200+ cm flanker/winger in league history and don’t think he’ll be a particularly successful one. Has to develop as a KP and needs to bulk up. Barely put on anything in the time he’s been here..unbelievable..get him his own dietitian.

I’d say he has put on weight. It’s usually pretty imperceptible on the tall lanky guys.

I agree on position. Said from the start we need to decide if he’s a key back, key forward or a ruck. He’s not going to be something else.

Oh but he can run. So what? That is just a nice bonus as a KPP or ruck.

i think it's only a matter of time until there's a 200cm wing/flanker. people are getting taller.

not saying cox is that mind you, but he's miles off being powerful enough for KPP game.

Fwiw. Same age.

And most of the discrepancies can be explained by the different roles they play.
Not sure that’s a fair comparison. Cox is in his fourth year and played over 30 AFL games.

Blicavs played his first game of football since u14s in July 2012. So 2013 season was his first in senior football. Played in the ruck a fair bit that first year and if you look at his stats in first 8 games his ave disposals was 8 ..in his last 14 games it was over 12 per game. Again played a fair bit in the ruck.

Not sure that’s a fair comparison. Cox is in his fourth year and played over 30 AFL games.

Blicavs played his first game of football since u14s in July 2012. So 2013 season was his first in senior football. Played in the ruck a fair bit that first year and if you look at his stats in first 8 games his ave disposals was 8 ..in his last 14 games it was over 12 per game. Again played a fair bit in the ruck.
Yes as a ruck he should have more touches

Over 12 doesn't seem more than 14 to me.

Seems about the same.
Gawn averages 15 over his whole career so yeah pretty good for a ruckman..in his first year with only a handful of games since u14s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good game and got some ruck time. Now that we've got McKay I'd be putting him at CHB. He has to be the key back we recruited him to be or drop him for Hayes

Have to say that even though his numbers where not on the Duursma scale he looked okay on the wing playing the slide back defensive bloke when he was there. It was set style of role and it did not appear to be confusing him as far as who he had to be chasing or picking up which is what usually burns him on the wing. Maybe like Perkins he just needs a basic type of role in the side to get the best out of him which is why he has looked better as a third defender or like Friday the defensive winger that reads the ball from behind the play.

Like his progression. Just needs more time and development. One thing I’d like to see more of though, he can kick the ball a mile both feet. Love to see him use it more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back