AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Single handedly his worst attribute is his handpass, the amount of times I have seen him miss a basic handpass is bewildering.
But at his best, he's shown flashes of brilliance. Hitting players lace out on either foot, but it's inconsistent.
It would be good if he can fix it as his vision is pretty good as far as seeing the targets quickly. As you say the execution is not great.

It would be good if he can fix it as his vision is pretty good as far as seeing the targets quickly. As you say the execution is not great.
I have even seen him spot difficult targets in tight spots, just stuggles with his handpass. Thankfully it's a skill you can improve drastically.

There’s never been a 200+ cm flanker/winger in league history and don’t think he’ll be a particularly successful one. Has to develop as a KP and needs to bulk up. Barely put on anything in the time he’s been here..unbelievable..get him his own dietitian.
Supposedly put on 10kg to be 96kg by start of season. Might be one of the few guys who goes to the gym but skips arm day.

Some parallel 200cm non-KP guys.
IMG_8908.jpeg

Supposedly put on 10kg to be 96kg by start of season. Might be one of the few guys who goes to the gym but skips arm day.

Some parallel 200cm non-KP guys.
View attachment 1956543
Blicavs plays ruck or KPD. Westhoff was a tall marking forward

Blicavs started playing wing / flank (when Cox’s age). Westoff only came into his own when switched onto the wing.
Westhoff played up the ground for a season at most and it wasn’t the wing. Then went back to forward line where he played most of his career and kicked over 300 goals. Also played in latter career in the ruck. Blicavs made his name back and ruck.

The lack of competitiveness is a bit of a worry.
Agree . That is my biggest concern. He has to start really wanting it.
One observation from my training source that gives you an insight to attitude is the fact that The likes of Hobbs have some hustle during breaks in training. They jog over at a quick rate where Cox often just ambles over .
May not seem much but it is a mindset thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs is the prototype. Just an incredible player.

Cox is nowhere near it.
Yep. Blicavs also started as a part-time ruck and had a crack right from the start.

Cox looks like he might be one of those hard-gaining types like Matthew Lappin, Andrew Mackie etc who struggle to put on the muscle. That might be the other problem.

Blicavs is the prototype. Just an incredible player.

Cox is nowhere near it.
I think you've missed the point. Nobody has equated them as being the same right now.

But at Cox's age Blicavs was a hack. He improved.

If Cox can get half of that improvement he'll at the very least become serviceable.

I think you've missed the point. Nobody has equated them as being the same right now.

But at Cox's age Blicavs was a hack. He improved.

If Cox can get half of that improvement he'll at the very least become serviceable.
Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

but yes i did.....

He needs to find some aggression or desire for the contest. Id love to see him lay 8 tackles tonight and have 10 contested possessions.

He needs to find some aggression or desire for the contest. Id love to see him lay 8 tackles tonight and have 10 contested possessions.
8 tackles as a KPD is not realistic. Fletcher, Scarlett and Rance did it once collectively across their career's.

We’ve spent so much on key backs through salary cap space and draft capital.
How many others are missing from that list? 5 isn't heaps.

Ridley? Laverde coz he had to coz we had no one else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back