Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda recruit Jack Higgins says he was doing “fist pumps” after learning of his trade from Richmond and is determined to help the club he supported as a child snare its second premiership.
Higgins had a contract with the Tigers for 2021 but admitted he had struggled in the Queensland hub this year as he managed just 10 AFL games, including only one match after Round 10.

“Hub life I probably didn’t enjoy as much as a lot of other blokes did,” Higgins said.

“I know a lot of blokes struggled up there. I just found it really hard living with blokes next to you all the time. I’m a homebody.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Jack Higgins will fulfil his childhood dream of playing for St Kilda. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images
Jack Higgins will fulfil his childhood dream of playing for St Kilda. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images
“It was a really hard decision for me to leave Richmond.

“They’re such a great club and have got such good players and blokes there and coaches.

“So it was a really hard decision but at the end of the day I thought St Kilda would be the best for my future and I can also see how much the club’s going to go in an upwards spiral.”

Higgins phoned Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at the start of the trade period to request the move after hearing from his manager Paul Connors that the Saints were interested and could provide greater opportunity.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*
“He (Hardwick) was driving his car so it was really hard to hear him but I just said, ‘I really want to explore a trade, don’t take any offence, you’re a ripper bloke and ripper coach but I just want to explore my options’,” Higgins said.

“He didn’t try to talk me out of it.

“He said, ‘Whatever’s best for you’. He was pretty understanding.”

Higgins completed work experience with St Kilda in Year 10 and idolised Nick Riewoldt and Nick Dal Santo as a youngster.

Higgins speaking with the media on Sunday. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images
Higgins speaking with the media on Sunday. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images
He was caught by broadcast cameras celebrating a Riewoldt goal in the front row of the crowd at the Saints’ 2009 preliminary final win over the Western Bulldogs.

“I remember at the time … me and dad watched it about 12 times, that vision,” Higgins said.

“But I went to a lot of Saints games when I was younger and always, not thought I’d play for St Kilda, but always dreamt of me playing for St Kilda.

“To be here now, I’m over the moon.”

Higgins said he was confident his health issues were now behind him after two rounds of brain surgery over the past 18 months.

“I feel like I’m just a new draftee at the moment,” he said.

“I’ve watched two (Richmond) Grand Finals, last year for a reason and this year I didn’t get picked.

“But I just really want to play in a Grand Final and get some consistent games and hopefully be in St Kilda’s second premiership team.”

SAINTS SEE HIGGINS AS A MIDFIELDER
– Nick Smart and Chris Cavanagh

St Kilda has flagged more midfield time for new signing Jack Higgins after enticing the Richmond livewire to Moorabbin.

The Saints were one of the big winners out of the AFL trade and free agency period, bringing in Adelaide’s Brad Crouch, Bomber Shaun McKernan and Higgins without losing much in the other direction.

“We’re really happy, we think we’ve brought in a couple of guys who will certainly go straight into our best 22,” Saints list boss James Gallagher said on Friday.

“We’ve retained all the guys from this year in our best 22, so we think we’re a stronger side going into next year plus the development of our younger guys.

“And with Shaun McKernan coming in as well, he’s a good AFL player and he’s exactly what we need to complement our group.

“Overall, we’re really happy and we’ve retained a first-round pick for this year and next year, so they were real priorities for us.”

Higgins is now a Saint.
Higgins is now a Saint.
Higgins played predominantly as a forward in his 43 games at Punt Rd, but Gallagher said the Saints saw the 21-year-old as being able to move into the engine room.

“He’s a talented footballer, Jack, and clearly he’s played his best footy at AFL level as a forward,” he said.

“We really want to promote guys who can play and in a number of different positions.

“He’s got the ability to play close to goal, he’s got a big engine so he can play up the ground as well and win plenty of ball.

“And we certainly believe over the coming years he’ll spend plenty of time in the midfield as well to complement our guys that can play through the midfield in a variety of positions too.”

Richmond agreed to trade the contracted forward to the Saints along with pick 21 and a future fourth-round selection, in exchange for St Kilda’s pick 17 and a future second-round selection.

Originally selected by the Tigers at pick 17 in the 2017 national draft, Higgins managed only 10 AFL games this year but had missed only four games during a sizzling debut season in 2018.

Higgins will join former Richmond teammate Dan Butler in the Saints’ forward line but also holds hopes of earning more midfield time at his new club.

“It’s amazing to join the Saints next year and I really can’t wait to get started,” Higgins said.

“I grew up barracking for the Saints, so it really is a dream come true to represent the club.

“I’m really keen to meet my new teammates and be part of the Saints moving forward, because they’re definitely heading somewhere pretty special.”

FOXSPORTS3:58
Montagna's compare the pair
AFL: Former Saints champion Leigh Montagna believes some clubs are overvaluing the likes of Jeremy Cameron

Higgins had two rounds of surgery on a brain bleed condition last year which threatened his career, but was cleared to return to the football field for the Tigers this season.
Richmond had high hopes Higgins could return to his best and play a key role for the reigning premiers in 2021, but the 21-year-old informed coach Damien Hardwick of his wish for a fresh start last weekend.
St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said the club was thrilled to have secured Higgins.
“It’s terrific for us to acquire Jack’s services and add another dynamic mid/forward to our list,” Gallagher said.
“Jack has overcome significant challenges at such a young age and it’s a testament to his character for coming out the other side with that same passion.”
Higgins joined former Adelaide midfielder Brad Crouch and Essendon forward Shaun McKernan as St Kilda’s recruits during the trade and free agency period.
Speedster Nick Hind was traded to Essendon in a late deal along with pick 77, with the Saints receiving picks 67 and 74 in return.
MORE

Missing 2 flags spurs him on ???

My god maybe he should go have a chat with Adam Treloar. Higgins football in 2020 was no where near best 22 level and he was gifted most of the 10 games he played and i think all were surprised he played at all and he was not available to play in 2019 so whats he talking about ?

St Kilda recruit Jack Higgins says he was doing “fist pumps” after learning of his trade from Richmond and is determined to help the club he supported as a child snare its second premiership.
Higgins had a contract with the Tigers for 2021 but admitted he had struggled in the Queensland hub this year as he managed just 10 AFL games, including only one match after Round 10.

“Hub life I probably didn’t enjoy as much as a lot of other blokes did,” Higgins said.

“I know a lot of blokes struggled up there. I just found it really hard living with blokes next to you all the time. I’m a homebody.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

“They’re such a great club and have got such good players and blokes there and coaches.

“So it was a really hard decision but at the end of the day I thought St Kilda would be the best for my future and I can also see how much the club’s going to go in an upwards spiral.”

Higgins phoned Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at the start of the trade period to request the move after hearing from his manager Paul Connors that the Saints were interested and could provide greater opportunity.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

“He (Hardwick) was driving his car so it was really hard to hear him but I just said, ‘I really want to explore a trade, don’t take any offence, you’re a ripper bloke and ripper coach but I just want to explore my options’,” Higgins said.

Higgins completed work experience with St Kilda in Year 10 and idolised Nick Riewoldt and Nick Dal Santo as a youngster.

He was caught by broadcast cameras celebrating a Riewoldt goal in the front row of the crowd at the Saints’ 2009 preliminary final win over the Western Bulldogs.

“I remember at the time … me and dad watched it about 12 times, that vision,” Higgins said.

“But I went to a lot of Saints games when I was younger and always, not thought I’d play for St Kilda, but always dreamt of me playing for St Kilda.

Higgins said he was confident his health issues were now behind him after two rounds of brain surgery over the past 18 months.

“I’ve watched two (Richmond) Grand Finals, last year for a reason and this year I didn’t get picked.

“But I just really want to play in a Grand Final and get some consistent games and hopefully be in St Kilda’s second premiership team.”

St Kilda has flagged more midfield time for new signing Jack Higgins after enticing the Richmond livewire to Moorabbin.

The Saints were one of the big winners out of the AFL trade and free agency period, bringing in Adelaide’s Brad Crouch, Bomber Shaun McKernan and Higgins without losing much in the other direction.

“We’re really happy, we think we’ve brought in a couple of guys who will certainly go straight into our best 22,” Saints list boss James Gallagher said on Friday.

“We’ve retained all the guys from this year in our best 22, so we think we’re a stronger side going into next year plus the development of our younger guys.

“And with Shaun McKernan coming in as well, he’s a good AFL player and he’s exactly what we need to complement our group.

“Overall, we’re really happy and we’ve retained a first-round pick for this year and next year, so they were real priorities for us.”

Higgins is now a Saint.
Higgins is now a Saint.
Higgins played predominantly as a forward in his 43 games at Punt Rd, but Gallagher said the Saints saw the 21-year-old as being able to move into the engine room.

“He’s a talented footballer, Jack, and clearly he’s played his best footy at AFL level as a forward,” he said.

“We really want to promote guys who can play and in a number of different positions.

“He’s got the ability to play close to goal, he’s got a big engine so he can play up the ground as well and win plenty of ball.

“And we certainly believe over the coming years he’ll spend plenty of time in the midfield as well to complement our guys that can play through the midfield in a variety of positions too.”

Richmond agreed to trade the contracted forward to the Saints along with pick 21 and a future fourth-round selection, in exchange for St Kilda’s pick 17 and a future second-round selection.

Originally selected by the Tigers at pick 17 in the 2017 national draft, Higgins managed only 10 AFL games this year but had missed only four games during a sizzling debut season in 2018.

Higgins will join former Richmond teammate Dan Butler in the Saints’ forward line but also holds hopes of earning more midfield time at his new club.

“It’s amazing to join the Saints next year and I really can’t wait to get started,” Higgins said.

“I grew up barracking for the Saints, so it really is a dream come true to represent the club.

“I’m really keen to meet my new teammates and be part of the Saints moving forward, because they’re definitely heading somewhere pretty special.”

AFL: Former Saints champion Leigh Montagna believes some clubs are overvaluing the likes of Jeremy Cameron

Higgins had two rounds of surgery on a brain bleed condition last year which threatened his career, but was cleared to return to the football field for the Tigers this season.
Richmond had high hopes Higgins could return to his best and play a key role for the reigning premiers in 2021, but the 21-year-old informed coach Damien Hardwick of his wish for a fresh start last weekend.
St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said the club was thrilled to have secured Higgins.
“It’s terrific for us to acquire Jack’s services and add another dynamic mid/forward to our list,” Gallagher said.
“Jack has overcome significant challenges at such a young age and it’s a testament to his character for coming out the other side with that same passion.”
Higgins joined former Adelaide midfielder Brad Crouch and Essendon forward Shaun McKernan as St Kilda’s recruits during the trade and free agency period.
Speedster Nick Hind was traded to Essendon in a late deal along with pick 77, with the Saints receiving picks 67 and 74 in return.
MORE
Blah Blah

sounds like a little immature sook we will not miss him at all we have older players such as arrts that went past him I hope we boo the crap out of him when we play them that’s if he gets a game
Cant wait to see Higgins trying to tackle Martin when we play them,

Higgo could end up in the 4th row of the southern stand

sounds like a little immature sook we will not miss him at all we have older players such as arrts that went past him I hope we boo the crap out of him when we play them that’s if he gets a game

No he doesn't, sounds like he was just excited to join the club he supported as a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on 9 news fu** me, crouch hardly got any air time

Will boo haha

Saw it and just as I said in a previous post,media now making him out to be the next Hodge,Ablett and Martin combined,Vickery anyone?

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Higgins is now a Saint.
Higgins is now a Saint.

MORE
Cheers for posting it

There is more to this than whats coming out imo

Higgins has mentioned the Hub challenges a few times now and loks like things didnt go his way in the hub but hey Jack st kilda was also in a hub and it was not just richmond. Im thinking he kind of got on the nerves of a few of the boys and they had enough of his 'pestering childish behavior and he got on alot of the boys nerves and they let him know. Sounds like he sooked up and ignored and asked for a trade.

When he told Dimma he wanted a trade Dimma just said what ever is good for you.

WHY the hate!!!!

Awww , did he hurt your feeling when he left, awww, get some vicks and make a nice cup of tea, make you feel better.
Gee I'm glad none of you wingers are playing for the Tigers, We would've won 3 wooded spoons with you wingers instead of three premierships.

The kid wants to play for the team he loves and grew up with..... and he has a chance of getting a game to boot.

yeah ok mate, Ahhhhh, i guess that is one way to look at it, completely one sided!!!

There is more to this than whats coming out imo

Higgins has mentioned the Hub challenges a few times now and loks like things didnt go his way in the hub but hey Jack st kilda was also in a hub and it was not just richmond. Im thinking he kind of got on the nerves of a few of the boys and they had enough of his 'pestering childish behavior and he got on alot of the boys nerves and they let him know. Sounds like he sooked up and ignored and asked for a trade.

When he told Dimma he wanted a trade Dimma just said what ever is good for you.
Yep I don’t think Dimma gave a two *s about whether he left or stayed he has no hope breaking into their midfield first of all he is slow and has no defensive skills in his body

Remove this Banner Ad

Back