Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute massive mistake from us, and he should've played more this year. On the other end, I guess we needed to move him on if he 'realllly' wanted to get out. This isn't u9's Auskick, where you simply pick the team you went for as a kid. For this reason, I really hope we smash them every single time he plays against us now. I think he will be an absolute gun, similiar to when Steele was traded from the Giants to St.Kilda.

So the only revenge/focus is to keep winning premierships, or at least be contenders while the Saints don't end up making it.

Yeah the abuse for Higgins can disappear thanks. It's classless.

Sometimes supporters forget that this is people's careers we're talking about, and unlike the vast majority of careers, you get probably 10 years max to make the most of it, more only if you're very lucky.

This is a guy who is leaving for a lot more opportunity and maybe more $$$. It becomes a rather easy decision in those terms, and we would probably all do the same in our careers. He gave his all whilst here and added plenty to our culture.

Personally I hope he has a long and successful career at the Sainters.

At the expense of Richmond?

How is it at our expense? We got value for him. Most objective commentators think it was a fair trade.

This is simply a product of being a successful club. We've done bloody well to hang onto most of the talent in our best 22 thus far.

At the expense of Richmond?
One doesn't necessarily lead to the other.

Honouring contracts and letting fringe players go to the clubs they desire for a reasonable return is part of keeping a happy club, or we could fake it like Buckley and the Magpies?

Whatever we have been doing it's working so why change?

Yeah the abuse for Higgins can disappear thanks. It's classless.

Sometimes supporters forget that this is people's careers we're talking about, and unlike the vast majority of careers, you get probably 10 years max to make the most of it, more only if you're very lucky.

This is a guy who is leaving for a lot more opportunity and maybe more $$$. It becomes a rather easy decision in those terms, and we would probably all do the same in our careers. He gave his all whilst here and added plenty to our culture.

Personally I hope he has a long and successful career at the Sainters.
Long career sure. Saints are already in the 8 last year. Can they improve? I
don't care who we come against. Be interesting to see if Lions and Port can keep the momentum going.
We have a challenge every year to turn up hungry for another flag. We've been great at focussing on the flag each year. And a change of faces doesn't hurt. With Higgins out, Ross, stack etc will be a step closer to games.
I'd back our depth to provide any competition for spots and step in for injury or loss of form.

Absolute massive mistake from us, and he should've played more this year. On the other end, I guess we needed to move him on if he 'realllly' wanted to get out. This isn't u9's Auskick, where you simply pick the team you went for as a kid. For this reason, I really hope we smash them every single time he plays against us now. I think he will be an absolute gun, similiar to when Steele was traded from the Giants to St.Kilda.

So the only revenge/focus is to keep winning premierships, or at least be contenders while the Saints don't end up making it.
Higgins is the first player to leave mid contact. I think he can play but I also believe we have his position covered. I don't see the Saints much. The final was the last time. Not a bad team, the fact that they had a couple of injuries helped us. I'm glad we got a decent pick for him. But if Higgins gets them to a grand final you can cut off me legs and call me shorty

What was his contribution to the culture of the club I wonder? Was he popular or a bit of a knob?
Seemed like the kid you meet on the first day of school and hang out with because you don’t know anyone else

Than 6 months down the track you have new mates but he still calls you his best friend and calls you 8 times a day when you cbf with his antics

How is it at our expense? We got value for him. Most objective commentators think it was a fair trade.

This is simply a product of being a successful club. We've done bloody well to hang onto most of the talent in our best 22 thus far.
I’m not talking about the trade: see Brett Deledio.

What was his contribution to the culture of the club I wonder? Was he popular or a bit of a knob?
He told a really funny joke once at half time.
Either that, or it was extremely unfunny and everyone laughed because they felt sorry for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people here genuinely liked higgins and feel betrayed and that fair enough dude also, this is a place we can vent a little. You may feel like it's childish but on a deeper level everyone feels the same and just feels disappointed in him. Some express it differently.

This is kind of where I'm at.

Heart says "GAGF you ungrateful little campaigner" but in truth you can't really blame the guy for taking his opportunities.

Yeah, I reckon he should have fought for a spot in our best 22 and owes us a bit for sticking by him through his ordeal with the brain bleed, but meh...

My bigger issue, TBH, isn't to do with Higgo specifically but more just with the way the AFL system makes it hard to retain players, especially when we've had to work so hard to find decent talent given our lack of low draft picks of late.

But the nature of the industry these days is that we'll occassionaly loose a player we'd rather have kept.

What gives me some genuine consolation is that we're no longer talking about loosing our "messiah" -- as we did when Brad Ottens went to Geelong or Craig Lambert to the Bears. Now we're loosing players that are "depth" rather than "core" and that's not a bad place to be, I think.

Anyway, all the best Higgo. I've moved your photo from the back of the dunny door to the dart board. That'll teach ya!

Just don't see upside in him .Was at times a momentum killer for us to field kicking was poor even skills. If he had the want he would have buckle down and force himself in the team obviously didn't.
This isn't even true.

Wish the best at another club.
No harm in that, he's a young man.
That's footy.
However, he was not good enough to consistently make our first 22.
Our football department made the decision.
It was crucial for example to re-sign Jack Graham.
Everything is relative, everything is prioritised.

He told a really funny joke once at half time.
Either that, or it was extremely unfunny and everyone laughed because they felt sorry for him.
I remember Dusty being asked about that joke and he said he honestly couldnt remember it but everybody was just laughing trying to understand what he was saying as he was mumbling with excitement and got the punch line mixed up and couldnt exactly remember the real punchline

I remember Dusty being asked about that joke and he said he honestly couldnt remember it but everybody was just laughing trying to understand what he was saying as he was mumbling with excitement and got the punch line mixed up and couldnt exactly remember the real punchline
Sounds about right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back