Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Gun footballer, wasted talent, had some attitude problems.

Could have been right up there with the best. Injury was severe but, as Deep Wells says, attitude was an even bigger problem. No winners all round with Jesse.

Can we never talk about JWS? Please? The hurt is.. still too raw.

This board has talked about getting players like Tuck and Cornes - JWS would be that player and a massive upgrade on both of them. He would have been our Pendlebury, our Murphy, our Lewis.

Reading that article and seeing him compared favourably to one of the most freakishly talented players to have ever played the game and a man who has won games off his own boot countless times just makes me a little bit sad.
I saw him as our Bob Murphy actually. Had the height to play on a forward but also had the agility and silky skills to rebound off half back and set up forward thrusts.

It will be revealed after we win the 2012 premiership, that it was all a troll and was always the grand plan.

Has to be. I remember an article by Allen Aylett i 2003-2004 saying we were planning to challenge for the flag in 2006. Yep. Great challenge that was.
Some serious trolling back in those days

:(

Round 12, 2005 - Jesse's 5th game aged 18 and a bit and built like a wet lettuce leaf. He didn't do much, but he did one thing that endeared him to me immediately, namely laying the biggest hip and shoulder he possibly could on Richo of all people, who was steaming in the other direction. Jesse came of second best, unsurprisingly.

yeah, I liked the kid :thumbsu:

Just wondering what happened to Jesse Smith, I know he was injury prone.
He was going to be a star. Then He went to St.Kilda, apparently because we at North Melbourne have crap facilities, slagged off the club he baracked for ( Ironic the day he left was when we unveiled the new world class facilities) didn't he hurt his thumb playing playstation. I wonder how he would fit into the club now, could've been a leader, a superstar, wonder what he thinks of our list now.

Jack Zeibell > Jesse Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point I'm trying to make is, he bad mouthed our club, when we took him on, gave him a chancde, father-son. Played around 28 games, bad mouthed us, wondering what he thinks now....

OK, at the time we didn't even have full time staff to cater to payer injuries, if you look back we didn't have a great resume in getting players ready after injuries.... he loved our club, he was frustrated and he left to try his luck elsewhere, he also had an Issue with someone high up in the Club (not providing a name), a real shame because he would have been one of the best players from that draft.....
im sure he thinks "man i wish i didn't suffer my injuries and could still play football"

Currently assistant coach of the Sunshine Kangaroos senior team, apparently tries to sneak out on the track a few times but is held back by the clubs trainers. Sad to see him wasting away, looks a shell of the confident kid we all watched in that final against the Hawks.

Just wondering what happened to Jesse Smith, I know he was injury prone.
He was going to be a star. Then He went to St.Kilda, apparently because we at North Melbourne have crap facilities, slagged off the club he baracked for ( Ironic the day he left was when we unveiled the new world class facilities) didn't he hurt his thumb playing playstation. I wonder how he would fit into the club now, could've been a leader, a superstar, wonder what he thinks of our list now.

Jack Zeibell > Jesse Smith

Your post indicates you are new to this board. Your post counter indicates you have been around awhile.

I'm confused.

OK, at the time we didn't even have full time staff to cater to payer injuries, if you look back we didn't have a great resume in getting players ready after injuries.... he loved our club, he was frustrated and he left to try his luck elsewhere, he also had an Issue with someone high up in the Club (not providing a name), a real shame because he would have been one of the best players from that draft.....
im sure he thinks "man i wish i didn't suffer my injuries and could still play football"

I dont think he played a game at St.Kilda, I couldn't of been happier. Unfortunate for his injuries could've wouldve been a star. We have Jack now, so not to worry ;-)

Currently assistant coach of the Sunshine Kangaroos senior team, apparently tries to sneak out on the track a few times but is held back by the clubs trainers. Sad to see him wasting away, looks a shell of the confident kid we all watched in that final against the Hawks.

Sad to hear this.
Must deep down think what may have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back