Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Inside Football has an article on the up and coming U18 Championships and Jesse is summarised along with 4 or 5 from each state.

The coach of Vic Metro says that he is "bigger than his father Ross at 190cm", meaning that he has probably had a growth spurt this year and is a good size now. Which means he may develop into the 6' 2" running player we are so desperately in need of.

Also said that "he wouldn't put him in the Chris Judd category but he's in the elite class of player that I've seen go through Vic Metro, big grounds will suit him."

Gee that growth spurt sounds like good news as it would make him a valuable player for us as he would give added flexibility i hope.

Jess sounds good to me.

Actually I noticed a Henshaw name in one of the U/18 sides a few weeks ago, either Eastern or Dandenong I think, does anyone know if he's any relation to Ross.

I'm actually pretty stoked about this happening, it will be our first ever Father and son draft pick. Good to hear it sounds like we are going to get a really good young player for a bargain.

PS I love seeing the Pies with heaps of F/S picks, yet, no premiership success:D :D (Pies not winning a premiership deserved a double smile).

Thanks for that Moti.

Talking Footy had a segment on the best prospects of this year's end of season draft, the other night, and Jesse was one of only a handful who was highlighted by Whatshisname Sheahan, the junior footy talent guru, as being in the upper echelon of talent. He was probed a little further by Timmy Watson and he said he's only just below the very best of the best who'll be drafted, and even went on to say that if he was one of the prized draftees of 2001 (Judd, Hodge, Ball, Hale etc) he'd still rate as either a late first round pick, or an early 2nd round.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Royal Blue and White, as we could definitely do with another Doctor Sholl sized player.....

T'toes

That would be nice our very own Chris Judd.
btw can some one explain to me the F/S rule. Do we nominate him before the draft and just draft him when our turn comes and no-one else can?

Originally posted by jozeph
That would be nice our very own Chris Judd.
btw can some one explain to me the F/S rule. Do we nominate him before the draft and just draft him when our turn comes and no-one else can?

Think we have to nominate him before the draft, i think we inform the AFL that we intend to use our 3rd round pick on him, they allocate him to us in the draft, and they inform the other clubs he is not eligble to be drafted by them. Correct me if i'm wrong, by the AFL actually calls out the F/S picks before the draft proper starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching the rumblin roos the other night. They do an interview with Ros Smith and ask Jesse about his Ros' cooking (Ross was the home husband at the time). He replies its not too good! My observation was however that their is another son. Can this boy play as well?

A father-son pick is agreed upon by the player and club prior to the draft for a 3rd round pick. If the club selects a second player via the father-son rule (I think it is 100 games for the club) then the club gives up a second round pick.

They are still announced at the draft, when that selection comes up.

I would hope that North and Phil's son can come to some sort of under the table agreement, where the club agrees to draft him next season (and it will only cost us a third round pick).

Otherwise we would have to give up our second round pick for him (as we will select Jesse Smith too).

Myles is only 17, and barely eligible for the draft (it took a rule change to allow him to nominate).

There's very little chance he will get a senior game in 2005, so why not promise to draft him later, and save the second round pick next season?

Originally posted by fusion
A father-son pick is agreed upon by the player and club prior to the draft for a 3rd round pick. If the club selects a second player via the father-son rule (I think it is 100 games for the club) then the club gives up a second round pick.

They are still announced at the draft, when that selection comes up.

I would hope that North and Phil's son can come to some sort of under the table agreement, where the club agrees to draft him next season (and it will only cost us a third round pick).

Otherwise we would have to give up our second round pick for him (as we will select Jesse Smith too).

Myles is only 17, and barely eligible for the draft (it took a rule change to allow him to nominate).

There's very little chance he will get a senior game in 2005, so why not promise to draft him later, and save the second round pick next season?

I agree with the premise, but isn't our biggest problem the fact that any club can take Myles in the upcoming draft if we do not put our hands up....?

You can bet that if we do not take him, he will not be around to take in the 2005 draft.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
I agree with the premise, but isn't our biggest problem the fact that any club can take Myles in the upcoming draft if we do not put our hands up....?

You can bet that if we do not take him, he will not be around to take in the 2005 draft.
No, what Fusion means (I think) is that we would come to an agreement with Krakouer to draft him in the following years draft and use a F/S on him then. To do this, he would have to not nominate for the upcoming draft, or he will most likely be taken.

From what I have heard through contacts at Vic Metro Miles is nothing to get excited about as a prospect, and picking up both Jesse and Miles would mean round 2 and 3 allocated to F/S, which I suppose is okay considering Jesse is considered easy 1st round quality.

Originally posted by year of the roo
No, what Fusion means (I think) is that we would come to an agreement with Krakouer to draft him in the following years draft and use a F/S on him then. To do this, he would have to not nominate for the upcoming draft, or he will most likely be taken.

I think Phil's thinking will be if Myles does his knee next season or a really bad injury and clubs will be less likely to draft him as opposed to this year , or his form really drops off , then drop out of the system alltogether.

Originally posted by benno87
From what I have heard through contacts at Vic Metro Miles is nothing to get excited about as a prospect, and picking up both Jesse and Miles would mean round 2 and 3 allocated to F/S, which I suppose is okay considering Jesse is considered easy 1st round quality.

But was the rumour mill that great with Andrew Krackour ????

Smith now are TrueRoo.
Roos confirm Smith father-son pick
1:53:24 PM Wed 28 July, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal
The Kangaroos announced on Wednesday they will select Jesse Smith, son of club legend Ross Smith, in this year's the National's AFL Draft under the father-son rule.

The club will use a third-round selection to secure the promising 17 year old, who plays for the Calder Cannons in the Under-18 competition.

"I've been here all my life, even when I was a little boy. I don't know where else I’d want to be," Smith said at the familiar surroundings of Arden Street.

"It’s a bit weird. A long time ago I was five or six years old and they were towering over me and now it's just a bit of a reality check to be here."

Coach Dean Laidley says there are a lot of similarities between Jesse and his father Ross, who played 224 games between 1994 and 1996.

"Both are very tough, courage is exceptional and it's something that we rely on heavily at this footy club and I'm sure he'll win the respect of his team mates pretty quickly by the way he plays the game," Laidley said.

Smith is in the final stages of completing his year 12 studies and until draft day, Laidley has counselled him to concentrate on four things - Maths, English, Biology and PE.

"I've got a daughter doing year 12 now and the next few months are crucial. He needs to make sure he does his homework and studies and finishes off that well before he thinks about coming down here," Laidley said.

Originally posted by NorthBoi96

Smith is in the final stages of completing his year 12 studies and until draft day, Laidley has counselled him to concentrate on four things - Maths, English, Biology and PE.

"I've got a daughter doing year 12 now and the next few months are crucial. He needs to make sure he does his homework and studies and finishes off that well before he thinks about coming down here," Laidley said.

JYD the school councilor eh..?

Re: Re: Jesse W Smith: Now officially a TrueRoo.

Coach Dean Laidley says there are a lot of similarities between Jesse and his father Ross, who played 224 games between 1994 and 1996.

That's pretty impressive! So many games in so few years. Hope Jesse isn't burnt out trying to emulate his father;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back