Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - Rd9 AFL Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Some improve their decision making but it’s really hard to change a kids kicking technique. Once it’s developed it’s generally hard wired
It's like having a s**t guitar technique - or so someone once told me.

McKerch already a top contributor - in 3 or 4 years.... 🤤

30 possessions for the third game in a row, but still won't get the Rising Star nomination.
Rising Star panel:

Suck It Take That GIF by Travis

Out of all eligible rising stars who have played more that 3 games Kerch leads:

• Avg Disposals
  • Avg Kicks
  • Avg Meters Gained

Additionally he ranks:

• 5th avg intercepts
  • 3rd avg uncontested possessions
  • 2nd avg effective disposals
  • 4th avg rebound 50’s.

All of this in a position that isn’t his most natural.

The media can talk about cheap possessions all they want (the same way they did with Sheezel), but you still have to have the footy IQ to get the ball in your hands.

They can talk about possessions at half back all they want but that hasn’t stopped the last two rising star winners from taking their games to another level this year

Finally. Well deserved Colby.

I not sure how many players required 3 consecutive 30+ disposal games to get a nomination, but I'm guessing it can be counted on one hand.
They have to hand out rising star noms so they can argue against priority picks being needed end of year (again).

The media can talk about cheap possessions all they want (the same way they did with Sheezel), but you still have to have the footy IQ to get the ball in your hands.

They can talk about possessions at half back all they want but that hasn’t stopped the last two rising star winners from taking their games to another level this year

To give up a goal from an errant kick out of the backline but then front up to go again minutes later is the sort of skill, confidence and faith in his own ability that most kids his age don't have. Or if they do, it is a misplaced confidence that teammates and coaches don't necessarily share, and so they are not given that responsibility so soon after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally. Well deserved Colby.

I not sure how many players required 3 consecutive 30+ disposal games to get a nomination, but I'm guessing it can be counted on one hand.
Counted on 1 finger I think.

So happy he got the nom! First Tasmanian rising star nom since Tarryn Thomas... hopefully his career goes a lot better than Tarryn's has so far...

Wonder if anyone in the media or the rising star judging panel have the brains to realise when they report on or look up his averages that they include the game he was subbed out early in the first quarter.

It’s criminal the lack of attention he is getting when it comes to rising stars. Playing in an under siege backline, desperately trying to create run and carry off half back.

Has been so impressive especially over the last month. Once he matures he is going to be an absolute weapon through the midfield.
His defensive running and pressure up the ground and in defence is super impressive and has taken me by surprise. Love it.

Our defence is slowly forming and we now have a few players who are fit enough and have the will to apply defensive pressure in general play.

We now need to increase the pressure inside and importantly up forward. 2x small forwards need to be on the agenda come trade/draft eon.

Out of all eligible rising stars who have played more that 3 games Kerch leads:

• Avg Disposals
  • Avg Kicks
  • Avg Meters Gained

Additionally he ranks:

• 5th avg intercepts
  • 3rd avg uncontested possessions
  • 2nd avg effective disposals
  • 4th avg rebound 50’s.

All of this in a position that isn’t his most natural.

I would say that he is having more impact than Sheezel was at the same time last year despite averaging fewer disposals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back