Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely no genuine Tom Lynch type KPF in this draft.
Probably around 12 a grade mids.
If there are any next yr we have the option to get some future picks in so we can get one in. the type u mention is the exact type we need.

It’s a really weird time to be in this position but as a long term fan I’m excited to see the club go through this rebuild to see how we respond. I’m liking Yze so far, we’ve played with heart and had some exciting passages.
My club positions as follows
Premiership window/knocking on the door: Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Collingwood.
One step back: Port, Gold Coast
No man’s land: Essendon, Bulldogs, Freo, Adelaide, St.Kilda
Rebuild: Richmond, Hawthorn, North, West Coast
Based on that I think the Top 7 listed will play finals the next 3-4 years (maybe Geelong could slide), Port could slide and I think the no man’s land sides how found the true direction/sides yet.
We need to build for long term success and be able to play finals for 10 years.
Love these boys but I’d look to offload them best on where we sit and get some pics which we can go to draft and/or get an up and coming star if possible.
Rioli potential 1st Round
Baker 1st Round
Broad 2nd Round
Martin Retire Frees up cash
Prestia Retire Free up cash
Grimes undecided may go one more
Ralphsmith move on
McIntosh Float a trade may go to WA
Cumberland Float a trade
Graham Trade to SA
Pickett may go again but may get locked up

Players that need to elevate to the next level: Dow, Ross, Clarke, Coulthard, Brown, Mansell, Ryan, Sonsie, Banks, Campbell
Our lock for Top 23 if all fit: Vlaustin, Taranto, Short, Gibcus, Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Nank, Bolton, Brown, Young, Miller that’s only 12 when fit. We need a minimum of 5 from the players that need to elevate group especially Ryan.
That’s 17.
We need to find a solid spine and a midfield we’ll need to be very smart over the next two drafts and work on our medical team. We also need to make some big moves unfortunately otherwise there’s a fear we could be stuck in no man’s land.
For 1 (u may have posted before GWS v bris) but Bris are no longer a contender. As for the "move on" list that's "full norf" right there. We can only move those on u mention if one of the kids u mention takes their spot in our best side. Retirements u can do nothing about but some of those i'd keep, even if for depth purposes. Moving 11 players on is exactly what Norf did a few yrs ago & they have been stuck on the bottom ever since. Cut that # in half incl retirements & you'll probably find that's the way we'll go.

Ideally we would like brisbane to finish 11-12 and not too much lower
that way we can trade for their pick if its too low they will just trade out to next year
If they trade it into next year how do they accumulate the points they need for Ashcroft?

Love these boys but I’d look to offload them best on where we sit and get some pics which we can go to draft and/or get an up and coming star if possible.
Rioli potential 1st Round
Baker 1st Round
Broad 2nd Round
Martin Retire Frees up cash
Prestia Retire Free up cash
Grimes undecided may go one more
Ralphsmith move on
McIntosh Float a trade may go to WA
Cumberland Float a trade
Graham Trade to SA
Pickett may go again but may get locked up
Rioli - He's contracted until 2027. If we are to trade him then it needs to be a deal we can't refuse. Unless if it's a top 5 pick I would be expecting more than a single first round draft pick.

Baker- Unfortunately I think he is certain to go to WA next year. If it's Freo then they have a spare first round pick to trade for him. If it WC then I can't see them parting with a first round pick. My guess is we will get their 2nd this year and next year.

Graham - he is likely to want a trade. I think we'll be getting a second round pick for him.

Martin- unsure what he is going to do. At the moment I'd say 40% chance he'd stay with us, 40% chance going to either a Sydney or Queensland club, 20% chance retiring. If he continues on I think it will be a 2-3 year contract at around 650-700k. If he leaves I think that would net us a band 3 (2nd round) compo. I'm starting think band 2 (before 2nd round) compo was a bit too optimistic of me in my previous comments.

Prestia and Grimes - Ideally I would like them to play on. Even if they can't play a full season their experience will be valuable.

Broad - Idealy I want to keep him. But if he wants trade then a second round would be expected.

I wouldn't trade anymore than what I mentioned above. While we want more youth on the list we don't want to cut too deep in the bigger bodies and experience. The youth we bring in won't learn much if they lose by 10+ goals every game.

Last edited:
Yep, sucks if you are after an A grade KPF (looks around). But rebuilding you midfield this a good draft to be deep into.

No generational star, but a lot of high quality mids.

For us we really need that KPF, but the midfield is he engine room everything else is built around. So, IMHO, if we can build a top end midfield now then we can find that forward line over time.
As long as we don't overkill with Mids like Norf.

For 1 (u may have posted before GWS v bris) but Bris are no longer a contender. As for the "move on" list that's "full norf" right there. We can only move those on u mention if one of the kids u mention takes their spot in our best side. Retirements u can do nothing about but some of those i'd keep, even if for depth purposes. Moving 11 players on is exactly what Norf did a few yrs ago & they have been stuck on the bottom ever since. Cut that # in half incl retirements & you'll probably find that's the way we'll go.
Yep, some of the suggestions to trade a lot of our decent performing older players is just idiotic. Going the full Hawks or Norf rebuild is not a path I’d be wanting our club to be treading.
We have a more than decent draft hand this year, will trade picks to get into a few high end selections hopefully.
Need to just suck it up a bit for this season and next. But having said that, we should improve a lot next season if we get even a half decent run with injuries

Adelaide have picks 4, 35, 40, 60, 78.

Port Adelaide have picks 38, 56 and beyond.

A pick in the 30's for Graham would be desirable but we may have to give some change.
He is an unrestricted free agent, so the compensation will be based on the contract he receives
Reckon a band 3 (2nd round compo) is likely.

If they trade it into next year how do they accumulate the points they need for Ashcroft?
If say they had pick #5
Other teams would come for that with offers like melbourne F1+37, 44, 49 who would end up with #5+#14 this year
that would give brisbane 37, , 44 ,45 ,59 ,63 which is nearly 1500 points
Pick #3 bid for ashcroft would be 1750 points roughly after the discount leaving a small deficit which they would happily go into

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is an unrestricted free agent, so the compensation will be based on the contract he receives

Within pick 25. Sounds sweet.
Multiple players add up so if we lose a couple we might get something quite nice.

Don't be shocked to see us get B.Ellis compo (end of R2) for Graham leaving.

Hotton's first game of the season was a sign of things to come. His competitiveness and excellent athletic attributes were on display here, the only thing that let him down was his accuracy in front of goal.

If Ned Maginness and Will McLachlan are eligible for the MSD could you do a video of them please.

Also can you do the Whitlock boys for the draft itself.

Last edited:
B Ellis wasn’t end of round two it was just round two. Only became end of because we won the flag

The same compensation band for Graham would likely (based on current results) see us gain a much juicier pick
I stand corrected however I still think we'll end up with an end of R2 pick for Graham. I don't see him getting a deal that nets us the higher pick

Hello tigers, will you be after players like Perryman, Cumming, Hayward?
All are free agents, some unrestricted.
Unlikely as we have Jack Graham likely to leave as an UFA. Would lose the compo pick if we picked up another free agent.

Back