Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

When Checkers missed everything with those two kicks late in the last quarter, he was literally out on his feet. He looked completely done to me. He may have even struggled to show some emotion!

I know you’re not otherwise being critical of him, but he’s such a workhorse for us. He takes so much contact but gets up to do it again and again and again. I can’t imagine what our forward line would have looked like the last six years without him there.
If he’s so gassed so as not to be able to score in those moments take your 30 lower your eyes and spot someone up. Gut feel he’s fine enough to take his shot and didn’t execute.

If he’s so gassed so as not to be able to score in those moments take your 30 lower your eyes and spot someone up. Gut feel he’s fine enough to take his shot and didn’t execute.
100%, two terrible kicks, should of gone the drop punt with his first miss rather than banana on his left.

This is the attitude that is a part of what got West Coast to where they’ve been the last few years

Sorry but he literally hasn’t played a “good” game this year.

He’s either been genuinely bad, or just…there. At best, he’s played one “ok” game.

At some point we have to accept that it’s time.
Which players did WC keep playing when they were clearly past it?

For one of those opportunities - first one I think - Checkers had Sidey on his own some 15-20 metres to his left and on a better angle. I don’t know why he didn’t pass it to him. Again, exhaustion and muddled thinking could have contributed to that mistake. You may not agree.

We can't focus on single moments. A games about all the minutes.

Although Checkers missed two shots. He played well kicking double his career average in goals to finsh with a strong contribution. And we would have lost without him.
Elliott had a couple of missed chances too, but again contributed well overall with two goals.

Essendon kicked 3.12 from late in the 1st Quarter to start of the 4th Quarter.
Lots of chances for them to have put more scoreboard pressure in the middle of the game.

Siddebottom has really dropped off this year. The 6 game sample size is enough for me to want to see HH, Sullivan or Macrae given full games in his place for the next month in his place.

At 0-3 I thought the best recovery from there was getting to the Carlton game for our next lost, and launch from 4-4 where our draw switches from playing mostly top 8 teams plus a bogey team to mostly bottom 10 teams for the next few months.

Last edited:
We can't focus on single moments. A games about all the minutes.

Although Checkers missed two shots. He played well kicking double high career average in goals. And we would have lost without him.
Elliott had a couple of missed chances too, but again contributed well overall with two goals.

Essendon kicked 3.12 from late in the 1st Quarter to start of the 4th Quarter.
Lots of chances for them to have put more scoreboard pressure in the middle of the game.

Siddebottom has really dropped off this year. The 6 game sample size is enough for me to want to see HH, Sullivan or Macrae given full games in his place for the next month in his place.

At 0-3 I thought the best recovery from there was getting to the Carlton game for our next lost, and launch from 4-4 where our draw switches from playing mostly top 8 teams plus a bogey team to mostly bottom 10 teams for the next few months.
Clock definitely ticking for Sidey. After we get past Carlton we have a lighter set of challenges ahead in terms of opponents and an ideal opportunity to provide some extended match opportunities to the next potential 200 gamer. I’d be starting with Harvey. Looks like a winger to me. Start him in the 22 vs Carlton and then the sub can be either another young challenger, or Steele

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im even happier with how we are building into the season. We didnt lose but reading comments on here, half the team is gone. So for everyone canning our players, our worst is sitting on the edge of the eight. In reality I only have Sydney and GWS ahead of us right now. It’s a season where there will be a lot of surprise losses. I am expecting we will finish on the edge of the top four depending on results. Have patience and celebrate this amazing ride we are on.

We out scored them yesterday except for the first five minutes! We played well. The players were out on their feet in the last quarter. Great game of footy. The two points may be a huge point of difference at the end of the season.

The players busted their arses yesterday. Some of you keyboard warriors should be ashamed. In fact come back in September and apologise.
Seriously the attacks on warriors of our team are a joke.

We didnt lose yesterday, without Sidebottom, Mitchell, Quaynor, Howe, Crisp, WHE, DeGoey (who btw was one of our best players), Shultz, should I go on…that then was a monumental effort to get even close🤣🤣

Ive wanted HH in for a long time but he looked good because he had fresh legs when everyone else had nothing left to give.

Be respectful and celebrate this team.
We are NOT done yet.

Go pies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's obvious teams just don't allow us to move the ball through the middle anymore, feels like Malthouse era again with how much we play the boundary. The problem is, we still got outnumbered when kicking long to a contest, Essendon seemed to cover the ground a lot better. Age & lack of speed is biggest concern. Almost have to think about putting someone like McCreery into the middle to get some speed around the ball.

Clock definitely ticking for Sidey. After we get past Carlton we have a lighter set of challenges ahead in terms of opponents and an ideal opportunity to provide some extended match opportunities to the next potential 200 gamer. I’d be starting with Harvey. Looks like a winger to me. Start him in the 22 vs Carlton and then the sub can be either another young challenger, or Steele
I think some of these 'past it' calls are premature.

There are young blokes like Quaynor who are playing below standard also. Crisp is another who comes to mind.

A few individuals are struggling at the moment either because of confidence, conditioning or some other reason.

I’ll tell you what impressed me, we brought some serious heat through the middle and our half forward line an Essendon were able to chain out of that time and again. Couldn’t believe they broke it away so often, generally we clear so much of that ball.

As for the result, draws are always like this, missed opportunity’s to rue. We were lucky in the end Longfords kick from right in front missed. At least we got 2 points.

When Checkers missed everything with those two kicks late in the last quarter, he was literally out on his feet. He looked completely done to me. He may have even struggled to show some emotion!

I know you’re not otherwise being critical of him, but he’s such a workhorse for us. He takes so much contact but gets up to do it again and again and again. I can’t imagine what our forward line would have looked like the last six years without him there.
I love Checkers! What he does as an undersized key forward often without support is astonishing.

I think some of these 'past it' calls are premature.

There are young blokes like Quaynor who are playing below standard also. Crisp is another who comes to mind.

A few individuals are struggling at the moment either because of confidence, conditioning or some other reason.

I definitely wouldn’t be throwing the baby out with the bath water but at the same time we need to be getting 50 games into the next generation.

Markov is demanding his spot back so IQ needs to lift. Don’t think Crisp has any challengers, he’s not playing great but just needs to lift. And stop going the predictable don’t argue every single time

A workhorse beast. He takes so much punishment every quarter of every game. He goes like a machine but he’s not, fatigue and all the brutal punishment he takes has to take a toll by that stage of a game. That happens.

Im even happier with how we are building into the season. We didnt lose but reading comments on here, half the team is gone. So for everyone canning our players, our worst is sitting on the edge of the eight. In reality I only have Sydney and GWS ahead of us right now. It’s a season where there will be a lot of surprise losses. I am expecting we will finish on the edge of the top four depending on results. Have patience and celebrate this amazing ride we are on.

We out scored them yesterday except for the first five minutes! We played well. The players were out on their feet in the last quarter. Great game of footy. The two points may be a huge point of difference at the end of the season.

The players busted their arses yesterday. Some of you keyboard warriors should be ashamed. In fact come back in September and apologise.
Seriously the attacks on warriors of our team are a joke.

We didnt lose yesterday, without Sidebottom, Mitchell, Quaynor, Howe, Crisp, WHE, DeGoey (who btw was one of our best players), Shultz, should I go on…that then was a monumental effort to get even close🤣🤣

Ive wanted HH in for a long time but he looked good because he had fresh legs when everyone else had nothing left to give.

Be respectful and celebrate this team.
We are NOT done yet.

Go pies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s like ‘Knee Jerk’ central in here.

Last week we had a powerful win and were on top of the world.

Five days later we had an almighty struggle, yet still didn’t lose.

Many who played well against Port were ‘good’. Now, after yesterday, they are ‘bad’.

We can’t play like we did against Port every week.

He was s**t house for a half fumbling but worked defensively into it in 2nd half had a momentblate q3 with his goal.

Overall non event and the trade looks more and more like it shouldn't have been made.

Harrison came on and provided spark and almost did more in a quarter and half the Schultz in 4 quarters.

Dangerfield was traded for pick 9 and 28 to regenerate and lead a ageing Geelong mid group.

Schultz was traded in for looking like similar price to be work horse fwd pocket who is less clean then his departure and less clutch but higher pressure indicators.
Pressure harassing and chasing is the most learnable part of footy and something the club should back Harrison (who is looking to be developing nicely mind you) in to do.

Meanwhile we keep a likely top 10 pick and could of had a crack at some random at pick 32 last year.

People comparing us to what Geelong did forget, Geelong got youth in as well as TOP end elite players in Danger, Cameron, Smith and Thouhey.
They got pick 7 from GC also kept thier first rounders mostly.

Pies have recently traded 6 firsts and also a pick 2 for a bunch of ahit in McMahon and Poulter picks....
And in the past 8 years we have played in two grand finals (and came within a non whistle blow of winning two flags) and 4 preliminary finals and the Cats until 2022 had been consistently knocked out of the finals race even with all of their hyped superstar recruits.

We were the only team who made them panic and shake them up in 2022 as well with a far less talented team. We have achieved wonders considering our purported terrible recruiting strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back