Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

A draw doesn't mean it was a good game. Apart from Elliott's mark, the general football skill from both teams was terrible. Fumbles and missed shots everywhere.

A few of our old boys looking very slow but not sure who else should be getting a game.
It was a fantastic game. The pressure was enormous most of the game and the players felt that heat. If you were there and still think that was a fumbly, mistake riddled game I don't have much faith in your judgement. Pressure leads to mistakes. Why did Beau fumble that gimme in the goal square? Referred pressure and an anxiety to kick the goal before he had the pill.

When some of our best are fumbling and turning the pill over there is usually a good reason.

Last edited:
I think Nick’s output is being affected by almost everyone around him being down

With Darcy, I agree overall for the season but his last two weeks have been far better than the previous 5

De Goey yeah. Not sure what’s up with him. He’s not having any real trouble finding the ball despite all the extra attention he gets. He’s just been terrible at disposing of it this year

Sidebottom 100%. I said the exact same thing. He may have a game or moment here and there, but he’s ultimately done. We need to move on like we did O’Bree and Lockyer in 2010

Pendles im 50/05 on. He’s been mostly ok but Father Time is definitely creeping up on him and as much as it pains me to say, I don’t think he or Sidebottom should be playing beyond this year

Pendles l would have play on next year. He gives us more on field not just as a player, but as a on field coach. Plus his form hasn't been terrible this season.
I would play have him playing modified minutes next year, with managing during the season. He would be great for the younger guys to spend another pre season with....
Sidey, who has been a champion of our club, l wouldn't offer a new contract to at season's end. He has said he wants to play on next year, but that may not be with us. I would hope he decides to retire, and be a one club player.

Beau is a MILE in front of Schultz and actually makes opposition nervous.
He tackles with intent to hurt as they say and one of the few pies who do. Wish a few others would take his lead.

For me personally, Beau is one of those players where his stats and what the eyes see don’t align

I’m always staggered when I see people say he hasn’t played well most games when he looks good to me

I even saw people say he didn’t do much last week and I thought he was great last week

I’ll say the same thing now I said back then

Happy to have Schultz. Just not happy with what we paid to get him.

It was simply too much. We needed to be a little stronger at the trade table. One first Rounder (and maybe a player) should have been more than enough.

The first rounder should never have been on the table at all.

I'd play reef for the rets of the year. I get his tank isn't there but I'd start him and have him as either subbed later in the game or if on keep him in.

He needs the game time , the faith and development.

We can NOT rely purely on trading moving forward you need youth pushing through along with trades.
I’d actually play HH for the rest of the year.
He’s looked far more AFL likely IMO.

But HH or Reef….for who?!?

We’re contending at the moment….and we have no injuries.

so I don’t get why everyone wants to “play the kids”.

Note: sidey the only one in notice.

Checkers played in defense in our VFL team and became our leading forward in the seniors!
Hardly fwd to wing scenario!!
Darcy played 3 years fwd before going back!!

If he had potential as a winger…:they’d train it in pre-season and VFL.
“Setting up for success”…..

For me personally, Beau is one of those players where his stats and what the eyes see don’t align

I’m always staggered when I see people say he hasn’t played well most games when he looks good to me

I even saw people say he didn’t do much last week and I thought he was great last week
The eye test is far more reliable than the stats sheet. Players like Beau, Shultz, Cox, Billy Elliott and Frampton can have a number of games where their stats are single figures but their influence is immeasurable.

Considering how bad we played, the draw is a great result.

The only thing worse than DeGoey’s kicking today was his handballing and decision making (trying to handball to players 2 metres away who had opposition players up their ass).

Our first rounder Schultz had another meh game, IQ was below par again, some old timers like Sidey and Howe looked like they ate ready to call it a day. The cliff they are going to fall off is a steep one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m happy to tell you that that you are wrong and are completely dense on this one.

Moore was our best player today, or close to it.

Bro what lol

As I said earlier, Moore’s last two weeks have been a massive improvement on all his previous weeks but almost our best player?

Yeah nah

Considering how bad we played, the draw is a great result.

The only thing worse than DeGoey’s kicking today was his handballing and decision making (trying to handball to players 2 metres away who had opposition players up their ass).

Our first rounder Schultz had another meh game, IQ was below par again, some old timers like Sidey and Howe looked like they ate ready to call it a day. The cliff they are going to fall off is a steep one.
I think Howe looks slower and has less spring but Sidey is still covering the ground as he always has. He had a quiet game but I was stunned to see he only had 7 possessions. One of his passes on his left foot while under pressure was sublime. He still has it. He tackled well too. He will be okay.

What is going on with JDG this season. Apparently champion data have him as having the worst disposal in the competition and watching him today I can see why. He needs to pull his finger out and clean up his act, with our older guys clearly slowing down we can't get away with poor disposal from our key middle/younger players. I thought he let us down today and needed to be alot better.

Sidey & Mitchel in particular looked like window shoppers today.
Everything he does is rushed even when he has time and space. It was like he carried his ADHD out onto the field today.

He was s**t house for a half fumbling but worked defensively into it in 2nd half had a momentblate q3 with his goal.

Overall non event and the trade looks more and more like it shouldn't have been made.

Harrison came on and provided spark and almost did more in a quarter and half the Schultz in 4 quarters.

Dangerfield was traded for pick 9 and 28 to regenerate and lead a ageing Geelong mid group.

Schultz was traded in for looking like similar price to be work horse fwd pocket who is less clean then his departure and less clutch but higher pressure indicators.
Pressure harassing and chasing is the most learnable part of footy and something the club should back Harrison (who is looking to be developing nicely mind you) in to do.

Meanwhile we keep a likely top 10 pick and could of had a crack at some random at pick 32 last year.

People comparing us to what Geelong did forget, Geelong got youth in as well as TOP end elite players in Danger, Cameron, Smith and Thouhey.
They got pick 7 from GC also kept thier first rounders mostly.

Pies have recently traded 6 firsts and also a pick 2 for a bunch of ahit in McMahon and Poulter picks....
Loki….drop it with Schultz.
Danger was only “traded” to appease crows. Was massive unders and not a comparable trade given the landscape these days.
Absolutely no point going back 10 years to find a comparison that fits your narrative.

Our first round pick this year currently hasnt played.
Our previous 2 first rounds picks look largely uninspiring 2-3 years In.
so Schultz had 3-4 years to prove himself before we decide whether it was a good deal!!

He was light years ahead of Ginni from a team standpoint.

I think Howe looks slower and has less spring but Sidey is still covering the ground as he always has. He had a quiet game but I was stunned to see he only had 7 possessions. One of his passes on his left foot while under pressure was sublime. He still has it. He tackled well too. He will be okay.
He had 0 touches at qtr time and 1 touch at half time….

Nick:
When will everyone learn he actually can’t play mid…..nor do we actually want him to. It’s frustrating that hero’s everywhere think he should play in the middle.
He needs to just play behind the ball as an extra mid and do his thing. This continued obsession with supporters that he needs to play mid is mind boggling….

As for some of your other comments. I’m not sure you actually understand what makes a team work well (ps. It’s not the people with the ball).
Maybe go and watch it again and come back to your post…..

I somewhat agree in that I don't think he is ready for FT midfield duties but he needs the education because longbterm he 100% should be there.

I liked HH's game - he might be one who plays better at AFL level.
Jordy couldn't hit the side of a barn today & Checkers left his kicking boots at home.
Billy's mark and goal the only highlight for me.
What about Bobby Hill's banana pass from 40 metres which landed on Billy's chest in the goal square? That was breathtaking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back