List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

McCluggage is a future Captain of the club , he's highly valued and in a successful club with a few years of success likely coming , so it would take a monster of an offer for him to leave imo. Unless there's some change in his personal life but as far as anyone can tell he's very happy here.
Hope you don’t mind me posting on your board

I think after chasing Oliver and throwing huge $$ at Gulden - Adelaide will throw a big contract McCluggage’s way
I think you would match though as the compo even if Band 1 will be inadequate, unless you miss the 8 then a top 10 pick you may take ?

FWIW I think he stays but no doubt some good offers on the table

I get the sentimental value of keeping Berry, and I'm sure he's an absolutely lovely bloke, but I don't rate him as a player. He makes too many mistakes at critical times, most obviously in the Grand Final. I'd rather let him move on and open up opportunities for others.

Neg. Berry's good for culture and is a fine player. He just can't kick too good. All teams have players like that.

We can agree to disagree then. I stand by comments above.

Who do you replace Berry with tomorrow that is currently outside best 23 and playing VFL? Ie who do you think is playing VFL who is a better player than Berry? That is the question you're asking.

We should keep Berry but if someone wants to give him 4 or 5 years on a motza I'd be having a think about it.

I'd be preferring to give him 2 but I suppose being a free agent someone's going to give him the LT security.

I think after chasing Oliver and throwing huge $$ at Gulden - Adelaide will throw a big contract McCluggage’s way
I think you would match though as the compo even if Band 1 will be inadequate, unless you miss the 8 then a top 10 pick you may take ?

Serious question, why would McCluggage want to play in Adelaide over a Victorian club if he leaves? Geelong seems like a perfect option for him.
Adelaide would be better off looking at getting someone who hasn't moved or who wants to (re)settle in Adelaide.

We should keep Berry but if someone wants to give him 4 or 5 years on a motza I'd be having a think about it.

I'd be preferring to give him 2 but I suppose being a free agent someone's going to give him the LT security.
If a team wants to run the gauntlet on his shoulders standing up for another 4-5 years, we should definitely have a think about moving on.

Would offer 2 with a trigger for games played to get a third. Couple of young draftees alone coming in next year that could well pass him by then.

Who do you replace Berry with tomorrow that is currently outside best 23 and playing VFL? Ie who do you think is playing VFL who is a better player than Berry? That is the question you're asking.
No, it isn't, or I would have said so. I said Berry leaving can create more opportunities for other players. And those players can become better than Berry with a bit of time. Berry is an eight year veteran and is of course better than Reece Torrent is now, but after 30 games it's entirely possible Torrent becomes the better player.

You're also ignoring that the cap space Berry will chew up on a new deal can be offered to another veteran who could perform better for us.

Adelaide looks dysfunctional though and I don't think Hugh wants to play in the spotlight so to speak. My guess is Geelong would be the biggest rival, subject to what offers are on the table.

To get Hugh, I think Adelaide would have to table an offer that no sane club would offer a player. Big big overs.

No, it isn't, or I would have said so. I said Berry leaving can create more opportunities for other players. And those players can become better than Berry with a bit of time. Berry is an eight year veteran and is of course better than Reece Torrent is now, but after 30 games it's entirely possible Torrent becomes the better player.

You're also ignoring that the cap space Berry will chew up on a new deal can be offered to another veteran who could perform better for us.

We are in a premiership window. Which players are better than Berry tomorrow? That is the equation. Have you seen our list profile? Who are these 'other players' you refer to?

It takes on average two to five seasons for a player to become a consistent contributor at AFL level. So lets assume its roughly 50 games for whoever replaces Berry AND that they can get to Berry's level of contribution within 50 games. These are very generous assumptions. By that time Neale et al will be probably in the last year of their career / some will be retired and the window we have now will be vastly different.

Getting rid of Berry to replace him with some yet to be determined player from the VFL who will take years to develop makes no sense. The only way it makes sense is if Berry gets a godfather offer that it doesn't make sense to match. Again, a complete hypothetical.

We are in a premiership window.
This year? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Which players are better than Berry tomorrow? That is the equation. Have you seen our list profile? Who are these 'other players' you refer to?
No, you're presenting a false equation, unless you think we're winning the flag this year. I'd say Torrent, Reville and Sharp all have the potential to be better than Berry by this time next year if they're given an extended run in the seniors.

It takes on average two to five seasons for a player to become a consistent contributor at AFL level.
Source?

Getting rid of Berry to replace him with some yet to be determined player from the VFL who will take years to develop makes no sense. The only way it makes sense is if Berry gets a godfather offer that it doesn't make sense to match. Again, a complete hypothetical.
Why do you continue to ignore that the cap space Berry will chew up on a new deal can be offered to another veteran (an AFL veteran, at that) who could perform better for us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to get some more polish/ quality in the midfield and half forward group. We usually win inside 50’s and dominate territory but it’s mainly from hack kicks forward and scrappy play. We have too few that genuinely punish the opposition with their kicking skills and decision making.

That’s why Kiddy is arguably our most important player. Every time he touched the ball I was confident he was hitting a moving target and getting us going.

I’m hoping Gilder continues his development in the backline in the academy. Looks like the type of player we need back there and has the athleticism to play different roles.

This year? Wake up and smell the coffee.

No, you're presenting a false equation, unless you think we're winning the flag this year. I'd say Torrent, Reville and Sharp all have the potential to be better than Berry by this time next year if they're given an extended run in the seniors.

Source?

Why do you continue to ignore that the cap space Berry will chew up on a new deal can be offered to another veteran (an AFL veteran, at that) who could perform better for us?

So if torrent and sharp are to be as good as Berry by this time next year i assume youre dropping Berry right now (who was one of our best on last night) and playing one of them for the rest of the season. Such a laughable proposition.

So you don’t think we are in a premiership window? Rebuild?

I don’t know how much cap space Berry will ‘chew up’. I’m not privy to the details. As you would say, source re amount?

So if torrent and sharp are to be as good as Berry by this time next year i assume youre dropping Berry right now (who was one of our best on last night) and playing one of them for the rest of the season. Such a laughable proposition.
Yep, happy to do so.

So you don’t think we are in a premiership window? Rebuild?
Once again you're presenting a false choice. We're not winning the flag this year, so I have no problem in pumping games into players in pursuit of a flag next year or subsequent years.

I don’t know how much cap space Berry will ‘chew up’. I’m not privy to the details. As you would say, source re amount?
Nice of you to acknowledge that I asked you for a source for a claim above, to which you didn't answer. I ought to simply give you no answer too, but I'll do better than that, I know Berry is an RFA so he's in the top 25% of earners in the club. That should give you an idea. And here's your source for that information.

Yep, happy to do so.

Once again you're presenting a false choice. We're not winning the flag this year, so I have no problem in pumping games into players in pursuit of a flag next year or subsequent years.

Nice of you to acknowledge that I asked you for a source for a claim above, to which you didn't answer. I ought to simply give you no answer too, but I'll do better than that, I know Berry is an RFA so he's in the top 25% of earners in the club. That should give you an idea. And here's your source for that information.

lol @ the bold, you’re bananas Johnny!

It has been covered off in this thread why Berry is in the top 25%. I don’t know what the figure of his new deal will be, by the sounds of it neither do you.

lol @ the bold, you’re bananas Johnny!
You're entitled to your opinion.

It has been covered off in this thread why Berry is in the top 25%. I don’t know what the figure of his new deal will be, by the sounds of it neither do you.
Correct, I'm not a club insider. But I didn't claim to know what his cap figure was, just that it's sizeable enough to recruit another veteran who could perform better than Berry for us.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Correct, I'm not a club insider. But I didn't claim to know what his cap figure was, just that it's sizeable enough to recruit another veteran who could perform better than Berry for us.

Thank you I always wondered.

What veteran options would you replace berry with in 2025?

Anyone claiming 2-4 means season over has to be of a most pessimistic nature. I know some people like to emotionally insulate themselves by assuming the worst, but until finals is a mathematical impossibility the season is still in play.

Thank you I always wondered.

What veteran options would you replace berry with in 2025?
That'd be for our recruiters to decide, I'm certainly no recruiter. But since you're asking for my opinion, out of the players who are out of contract I like Ollie Florent, Conor Nash, Alex Davies and Jack Graham. I wouldn't mind seeing how Cam Zurhaar goes in a better team also. Probably others that I've overlooked too.

That'd be for our recruiters to decide, I'm certainly no recruiter. But since you're asking for my opinion, out of the players who are out of contract I like Ollie Florent, Conor Nash, Alex Davies and Jack Graham. I wouldn't mind seeing how Cam Zurhaar goes in a better team also. Probably others that I've overlooked too.

So you want to trade for a player. With what picks?

Anyone claiming 2-4 means season over has to be of a most pessimistic nature. I know some people like to emotionally insulate themselves by assuming the worst, but until finals is a mathematical impossibility the season is still in play.
Definitely.

It's just that the way we've clocked out during games this year doesn't instill a lot of confidence that we'll turn it around any time soon.

The next few rounds will be very telling , if we drop a couple against those teams after the GWS games then I'd say this will be our lot for the rest of the year. As a prediction.

Definitely.

It's just that the way we've clocked out during games this year doesn't instill a lot of confidence that we'll turn it around any time soon.

The next few rounds will be very telling , if we drop a couple against those teams after the GWS games then I'd say this will be our lot for the rest of the year. As a prediction.
Do you happen to remember 2001? DO you think we're playing worse than we were at that time early in the year? Sydney were 2-4 in 2005, Geelong had a slow start in 2007. I'm not suggesting this is the way things will go, but a turnaround in form is not without preceedence. We showed last week, our best is good enough.

Do you happen to remember 2001? DO you think we're playing worse than we were at time early in the year? Sydney were 2-4 in 2005, Geelong had a slow start in 2007. I'm not suggesting this is the way things will go, but a turnaround in form is not without preceedence. We showed last week, our best is good enough.

Carlton and GWS were both on four wins after round 12 last year. There's no dominate teams this year too IMO, so a team that times their run perfectly could go all the way.

Back