Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.7%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 262 44.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder that Hannebery beat Fyfe in 2015 who was the clear best player for the season, Hannebery got 5 votes in the last game most likely due to a 5 he received from one of the coaches. Hannebery came 5th in the Brownlow and 6th in the MVP.
Robbie Gray won the coaches award in 2014, Fyfe won the Brownlow and MVP that year. Gray didn’t finish top 10 in the Brownlow and finished 9th in the MVP.
Im sure if I really tried I could find plenty of instances where the coaches probably got it more wrong than the umps or the players did.

Just a reminder that Hannebery beat Fyfe in 2015 who was the clear best player for the season, Hannebery got 5 votes in the last game most likely due to a 5 he received from one of the coaches. Hannebery came 5th in the Brownlow and 6th in the MVP.
Robbie Gray won the coaches award in 2014, Fyfe won the Brownlow and MVP that year. Gray didn’t finish top 10 in the Brownlow and finished 9th in the MVP.
Im sure if I really tried I could find plenty of instances where the coaches probably got it more wrong than the umps or the players did.
We all could mate, but deluded Danny only brings up the coaches to suit his Clayton Oliver agenda. Truth is, most people in this forum and the AFL landscape would choose Cripps. Not just based on football ability, but also terrific leadership to bring a club together. If you asked the question who would you rather rally a football club, 100% the answer is going to be Cripps without question and you’d need to seek mental help if you said Oliver. On football ability, I will admit - Oliver is far more consistent at winning the ball but sometimes that prolific ball winning ability doesn’t translate to significant damage while everything Cripps does leads to scores. Just look at the score involvements and goals the past few years too.

I mean even during the years people were calling Cripps a cripple during that 2020-21 patch, he still kicked more goals on average than Oliver. However, it’s not just all about goals being a midfielder and I feel most would argue, Cripps gets far more out of his disposals than Oliver does regardless of Cripps not racking up 30+ touches a game.

We all could mate, but deluded Danny only brings up the coaches to suit his Clayton Oliver agenda. Truth is, most people in this forum and the AFL landscape would choose Cripps. Not just based on football ability, but also terrific leadership to bring a club together. If you asked the question who would you rather rally a football club, 100% the answer is going to be Cripps without question and you’d need to seek mental help if you said Oliver. On football ability, I will admit - Oliver is far more consistent at winning the ball but sometimes that prolific ball winning ability doesn’t translate to significant damage while everything Cripps does leads to scores. Just look at the score involvements and goals the past few years too.

I mean even during the years people were calling Cripps a cripple during that 2020-21 patch, he still kicked more goals on average than Oliver. However, it’s not just all about goals being a midfielder and I feel most would argue, Cripps gets far more out of his disposals than Oliver does regardless of Cripps not racking up 30+ touches a game.
No they wouldn't. Most experts put Oliver ahead of Cripps. I mean how can you even talk about Cripps when he played a full season and only just squeezed into the squad? You think Oliver would ever play a full season and not be a starting18 AA? lol

Cripps is a plodder and Oliver is lightning fast across the ground. How about defensively? Oliver smashes Cripps defensively. Cripps has horrendous lateral movement and gets danced around so easily. The same doesn't happen to Oliver.

Oliver doesn't have damage? What world are you living in. Please explain why the coaches voted him the most damaging player in the game 2 years in a row LOL. And he usually beats Petracca in the dees bnf. So basically, the 18 coaches rated Oliver as the most damaging player in the game for 2 years in a row and the dees coaching panel voted him the best dees player.

And you talk about Cripps' hurt factor but the stats show that their disposal efficiency is basically the same. The stats don't back up anything that you're saying.

Let's look at Cripps final against the lions. 13 possessions and 2 junk time goals. Inexcusable. If Oliver played for the blues he would have had 35 touches and you guys would've won. The inconsistency of Cripps is exactly why he's not a top 30 player in the league anymore and will probably never make an AA team again.

How about the final against Sydney? 21 possessions. 7 of which were clangers. Gross. This guy plays 1 good game for every 3 average games. Oliver plays at Cripps' floor maybe once every 5 years.

Aside from maybe the first nine or ten games of 2022, when exactly has Cripps been performing better than Oliver over the past four years? Definitely not 2020 or 2021. Definitely not the second half of 2022. Before Oliver missed a large run of games in 2023, he was considered an AA lock while people were complaining about how poor Cripps' form was.

Fwiw, I rate both players but I feel like Oliver's behaviour off the field (which has been piss poor) has skewed peoples' judgement on him as a player.

Last edited:
Aside from maybe the first nine or ten games of 2022, when exactly has Cripps been performing better than Oliver over the past four years? Definitely not 2020 or 2021. Definitely not the second half of 2022. Before Oliver missed a large run of games in 2023, he was considered an AA lock while people were complaining about how poor Cripps' form was.

Fwiw, I rate both players but I feel like Oliver's behaviour off the field (which has been piss poor) has skewed peoples' judgement on him as a player.
Spot on. No idea when Cripps was allegedly better than Oliver. Certainly wasn't 2021 or 2022 and it certainly wasn't 2023 in terms of games played. What did Cripps come in their BnF? 5th? marginally ahead of Blake Acres. The audacity to come 5th in a Bnf and compare him to one of the greats.

Im a Pies supporters so i ****n hate Carlton but id take Cripps in a heartbeat over Oliver. For many reasons that dont even need saying..

Spot on. No idea when Cripps was allegedly better than Oliver. Certainly wasn't 2021 or 2022 and it certainly wasn't 2023 in terms of games played. What did Cripps come in their BnF? 5th? marginally ahead of Blake Acres. The audacity to come 5th in a Bnf and compare him to one of the greats.
Where did Clarry come in Melbournes bnf this year?

where would Cripps even be in our midfield as he's behind Oliver, Cripps and Viney. And he can't kick goals anymore. Maybe he can rest forward and rotate with Tom Sparrow or something.

No they wouldn't. Most experts put Oliver ahead of Cripps. I mean how can you even talk about Cripps when he played a full season and only just squeezed into the squad? You think Oliver would ever play a full season and not be a starting18 AA? lol

Cripps is a plodder and Oliver is lightning fast across the ground. How about defensively? Oliver smashes Cripps defensively. Cripps has horrendous lateral movement and gets danced around so easily. The same doesn't happen to Oliver.

Oliver doesn't have damage? What world are you living in. Please explain why the coaches voted him the most damaging player in the game 2 years in a row LOL. And he usually beats Petracca in the dees bnf. So basically, the 18 coaches rated Oliver as the most damaging player in the game for 2 years in a row and the dees coaching panel voted him the best dees player.

And you talk about Cripps' hurt factor but the stats show that their disposal efficiency is basically the same. The stats don't back up anything that you're saying.

Let's look at Cripps final against the lions. 13 possessions and 2 junk time goals. Inexcusable. If Oliver played for the blues he would have had 35 touches and you guys would've won. The inconsistency of Cripps is exactly why he's not a top 30 player in the league anymore and will probably never make an AA team again.

How about the final against Sydney? 21 possessions. 7 of which were clangers. Gross. This guy plays 1 good game for every 3 average games. Oliver plays at Cripps' floor maybe once every 5 years.

What about the final in between where Cripps and Oliver went head to head Danny? The one you have conveniently avoided.

The coaches had Cripps = 3rd best on ground. Oliver nowhere to be seen.

More clearances, more score involvements, more contested possessions, better DE%, less turnovers, and sent Oliver further into a spiral that could ultimately ruin his career.

It would be somewhat fitting if his last ever game were him getting torched by a bigger and better Brownlow Medallist.

What about the final in between where Cripps and Oliver went head to head Danny? The one you have conveniently avoided.

The coaches had Cripps = 3rd best on ground. Oliver nowhere to be seen.

More clearances, more score involvements, more contested possessions, better DE%, less turnovers, and sent Oliver further into a spiral that could ultimately ruin his career.

It would be somewhat fitting if his last ever game were him getting torched by a bigger and better Brownlow Medallist.
Typical to use 1 game instead of the sample size of 180 games of afl lol.

So if you're using the coaches votes as a guide, then you'll admit that Oliver was the best player in the game in 2021 and 2022. Where was plodder Cripps?

Using the same logic, Zorko is better than Cripps, considering Cripps had 13 touches in a cut throat final :)

Oliver wins the BnF in a flag team, Cripps comes 5th in the BnF when his team gets smashed in the prelim.

Paddy '13 touches in a prelim' Cripps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Oliver has had a pre-season from hell. Isn't even training with the main group yet, will probably miss half the season and Sportsbet still has Cripps and Oliver as $18 for the Brownlow. lol

Not even going to bother responding to Danny. Never seen someone live through a player as much as him, borderline obsession. Truth is he uses the coaches awards as his benchmark because Oliver has never won an AFLPA MVP or Brownlow.

I respect your opinion @YoungRedLeg but to say he had a worse back end to 2022 than Oliver is insane to me. We can go back and forth on this but rather just leave it at agree to disagree. Yes Oliver had a better 2020 to 2021 patch but when Cripps is at his best, 2018,19,22, he’s a game changer and can single handedly drag his team over the line. I truly hope you’re not like Danny and cherry pick games “oh look at the prelim” and Sydney. For starters, I don’t see Oliver getting tagged in finals let alone the regular season. Coaches know Oliver isn’t damaging enough with his disposal to warrant a tag while Cripps single handedly changes the midfield battle at times (less so now with a more functioning engine room).

Like come on Danny, I know you’re obsessed with Oliver and love to live your life through a single player but there’s a reason he’s never won an AFLPA MVP award voted by the players. You can cry it’s a rigged vote all you want but not even the players rate him!

Truth is, Oliver is a fantastic player. You’d take him in your team any day of the week but as this poll suggests and you can cry about it Danny - most people prefer and would take Cripps.

Not even going to bother responding to Danny. Never seen someone live through a player as much as him, borderline obsession. Truth is he uses the coaches awards as his benchmark because Oliver has never won an AFLPA MVP or Brownlow.

I respect your opinion @YoungRedLeg but to say he had a worse back end to 2022 than Oliver is insane to me. We can go back and forth on this but rather just leave it at agree to disagree. Yes Oliver had a better 2020 to 2021 patch but when Cripps is at his best, 2018,19,22, he’s a game changer and can single handedly drag his team over the line. I truly hope you’re not like Danny and cherry pick games “oh look at the prelim” and Sydney. For starters, I don’t see Oliver getting tagged in finals let alone the regular season. Coaches know Oliver isn’t damaging enough with his disposal to warrant a tag while Cripps single handedly changes the midfield battle at times (less so now with a more functioning engine room).

Like come on Danny, I know you’re obsessed with Oliver and love to live your life through a single player but there’s a reason he’s never won an AFLPA MVP award voted by the players. You can cry it’s a rigged vote all you want but not even the players rate him!

Truth is, Oliver is a fantastic player. You’d take him in your team any day of the week but as this poll suggests and you can cry about it Danny - most people prefer and would take Cripps.
Oliver was better than Cripps in the back end of 2022. Cripps dropped off dramatically after round 10 while Oliver maintained his form throughout the entire year. You're allowed to find that view 'insane' but I can remember many posters in this thread wondering what was up with Cripps' form towards the end of 2022.

And the claim that Oliver doesn't get tagged is plain wrong. He was tagged like crazy in the semi final against Brisbane in 2022. And I can remember multiple H and A games where coaches have sent players to limit Oliver's influence (e.g. the Freo game in 2022 and the Essendon game in 2023). I'd say that Oliver deals with tags far more often than Trac does.

As for 'cherry picking,' I've lost count of the number of times Carlton fans have used the brownlow as evidence to suggest that Cripps is the better player. Neither Bont nor Trac have won a brownlow and nobody with a straight face could say that they're inferior to Cripps.

Last edited:

Oliver doesn't get tagged? You gotta be kidding right? 😳 😂

None of the coaches would take Cripps over Oliver. That's been proven. The coaches had their say. And are yo ureally going to use the brownlow as a metric? if so, that says a lot about you.

You're the one cherry picking games. Look at all the stats, look at all the accolades across their whole career. Oliver is not only better, but significantly.

How can you even justify saying cripps after he came 5th in thr blues bnf in a full injury free season? 😳

i
is that why he was trash this year? There's always excuses with cripps. Oliver's shoulders are worse but you don't hear any excuses coming out of dees fans mouths.
Remember when Carlton fans last year were like 'Cripps had to ruck 3 contests a game last year and that's why he was so poor'. lol

i

is that why he was trash this year? There's always excuses with cripps. Oliver's shoulders are worse but you don't hear any excuses coming out of dees fans mouths.
Remember when Carlton fans last year were like 'Cripps had to ruck 3 contests a game last year and that's why he was so poor'. lol
22 brownlows votes would suggest he was a bit better than trash 😂

Back