Happy Australia Day 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

People voted No because they didn't believe it needed to be locked into the constitution forever and a day. It was just seen as a "feel good" exercise for the ALP and the left that was poorly planned and delivered.

Cmon Bicks.

I think you know it was more than just a “feel good” project.

A rushed over-reach? Sure. But the intentions behind the voice were pretty solid.

Unless you feel the campaign by the NO side didn’t attempt to muddy the waters with patently false narratives AND the YES campaign didn’t promise things that can’t be reasonably promised?

I’d be surprised if anyone but the hardest card carrying party shills couldn’t see the reality of the political mistakes and resultant targeting from both sides.

Every discussion involving politics doesn’t have to be so one sided in its thinking.

I’m guessing Albo will get lambasted for the tax changes by the same people who supported Howard’s breaking of non-core promises?

I’m guessing Albo will get a free pass regarding the tax changes from everyone who went nuts when Howard floated the idea of a non-core promise?

It’s quite a boring way to discuss what can otherwise be potentially interesting topics.

Unfortunately the only people who want to talk politics end up being the exact people that cannot have a balanced discussion. Everyone else is sick of where it always ends up.

So, by discussing politics I guess I have broken my own rule … now I’ve had my periodic contradictory hypercritical rant about the ranters … promise to stay out of the politics discussions for a while.

If you listen to some people out there that just complain about everything, they would rather have australia day on Feb 30th every year

Most people just want the public holiday … and never think what the day means to other people.

It’s why it will move away from the date with an awful history attached.

The middle of the curve aren’t bolted on to Jan 26th.

It’s interesting that growing up in the 70s and 80s Australia Day wasn’t massive - it was a holiday long weekend which most people were keen for. It was ramped up by the media and shops late 90s and 2000s selling flags, tattoos stubby holders etc. and it went ballistic with the Hottest 100, bbqs, parties etc. in recent years it has declined as people became aware that it wasn’t the perfect choice of date and divided some communities particularly those with Aboriginal members.
if we could change the date to a date that suits everyone it would be excellent for Australia and all of it’s inhabitants to truly celebrate where we are now - an exciting multicultural nation that enjoys many unique aspects of life.

You’ve always got the same excuse when losing a referendum: people didn’t understand…
You mean those dozens of other referendums when I've said that??

What a weird thing to say.

Referendums are historically difficult to get up. In this case, there was a massive misinformation campaign around it, including the idea that Indigenous people didn't want it, when more than 80% supported it.

In this case, I agree with Mutineer. It was politically naive for the ALP to pursue it once there wasn't bipartisan support. As you've said yourself, Sanders - Australia hasn't been racially progressive in its past, and getting this up was always going to be a challenge when there wasn't clear community support.

People voted No because they didn't believe it needed to be locked into the constitution forever and a day. It was just seen as a "feel good" exercise for the ALP and the left that was poorly planned and delivered.
Look - I actually agree with this.

But are you denying that "if you don't know, vote no" wasn't a massive part of the LNP messaging?

The good ‘ol “Everyone is stupid and easily misled … except me.” Instead of understanding that your position might be in the minority for another reason.

I voted YES, but completely understand why most voted NO. The result will just move the conversation to another solution that suits us as a nation. Does not mean that Australians don’t want First Nations people to have a voice.

The same will happen with the Australia Day. The discussion will eventually point us to a better solution. Surely May 8 is the perfect date for all Aussie larrikins to have a party. :)
Indigenous people have a voice. They make up 3% of the population in Australia.
I think Italians make up 4%, so they deserve just as much a voice.

We need to stop thinking this country belongs to only 3% of the population. It belongs to all of us

We need to stop thinking this country belongs to only 3% of the population. It belongs to all of us
So - the fact that they had been here for 40,000 years before Cook is just something you think is irrelevant. That's fine, though obviously I'm one of the folks who disagree on that.

Do you also feel that the issues around Indigenous health, incarceration and poverty should also be ignored - that they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

The fact that Aboriginal Australians are only 3% of the population is one of the reasons that they needed a voice - they're not enough of a voting block to legislate change. It gave them the chance to speak directly to parliament around the decisions that directly affected them.

It was politically naive to think there was the level of support for it that it would pass a referendum, of course.

To be fair - you started this thread as a way of peacocking your own identity politics. It has no place anywhere other than the politics thread.

It's not arrogant to disagree with you.
Not one word of fact. This was his statement.

"
Happy Birthday To The Greatest Country In The World.

"Feel free to share stories and photos from past or present, or just what you're up to on this special day
:)"

Anyway, there's a reason folks ignore the politics thread, so it's probably time to tap out of this one too - at least until it starts discussing footy.
Not much footy happens on Australia Day...

So - the fact that they had been here for 40,000 years before Cook is just something you think is irrelevant. That's fine, though obviously I'm one of the folks who disagree on that.

Do you also feel that the issues around Indigenous health, incarceration and poverty should also be ignored - that they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

The fact that Aboriginal Australians are only 3% of the population is one of the reasons that they needed a voice - they're not enough of a voting block to legislate change. It gave them the chance to speak directly to parliament around the decisions that directly affected them.

It was politically naive to think there was the level of support for it that it would pass a referendum, of course.
I think most reasonable people would agree with this and that more needs to be done to address it

Personally, I didn't see anything in providing a voice to parliament that would deliver on any of these

It’s interesting that growing up in the 70s and 80s Australia Day wasn’t massive - it was a holiday long weekend which most people were keen for. It was ramped up by the media and shops late 90s and 2000s selling flags, tattoos stubby holders etc. and it went ballistic with the Hottest 100, bbqs, parties etc. in recent years it has declined as people became aware that it wasn’t the perfect choice of date and divided some communities particularly those with Aboriginal members.
if we could change the date to a date that suits everyone it would be excellent for Australia and all of it’s inhabitants to truly celebrate where we are now - an exciting multicultural nation that enjoys many unique aspects of life.
That’s what I’d like. 🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but that 3% used to be 100% didn't it? I don't recall any genocide perpetuated against Italians.

Surely a day can be found that allows all Australians to celebrate but also gives indigenous people the respect they deserved in 1788.

Fxxk me..

Are we still talking about this?..

The day has been and gone for another year.

Save this until around january the 10th next year when the hard right and the hard left will once again drag this date whinge/argument up again as a means to, once again, trigger their base..

Private company decides its not gonna stock cheap chinese made crap thats got the Aussie flag plastered all over it..

“Whaaaaaa, i’m gonna have a three week meltdown over it and go and abuse some of their staff”…

Seriously.. this country.
IMG_1636.gif

You mean those dozens of other referendums when I've said that??

What a weird thing to say.

Referendums are historically difficult to get up. In this case, there was a massive misinformation campaign around it, including the idea that Indigenous people didn't want it, when more than 80% supported it.

In this case, I agree with Mutineer. It was politically naive for the ALP to pursue it once there wasn't bipartisan support. As you've said yourself, Sanders - Australia hasn't been racially progressive in its past, and getting this up was always going to be a challenge when there wasn't clear community support.
Not weird at all. The statement is perfectly correct.
You have just misinterpreted the rhetorical "you", i.e., "one".

Save this until around january the 10th next year when the hard right and the hard left will once again drag this date whinge/argument up again as a means to, once again, trigger their base..

You mean it will get raised as a PR marketing exercise for enormous supermarket conglomorates, then harped in on by a conservative dominated mainstream media who understand that it never fails to rile up their consumer base who spent a little bit too much time exposed to lead paint as children and who can be relied upon to get very upset at entirely imagined conversations with people that are totally forcing a 'woke lefty agenda' even though they've never met such a person and can't really identify when or where this supposedly happened.

This thread was pages of the same people shouting at clouds before someone was silly enough to take the bait.

Oh save us from those communist checks notes woolworths and coles.

This is not just a few dissenting people though Bicks.

Do you think it's appropriate we should have an Australia Day on a date when 40% (& growing) population don't think it's appropriate?

If you can't see that being a problem, I can't help you.
I really think it’s a foregone conclusion. More and more people think the date should be changed. More and more councils are cancelling celebrations on the day. Less and less people buying little Australian flags and thongs. Soon it’ll just be a few angry people screaming about keeping it and everyone will just ignore it. Government won’t have to do anything. It’s gone.

I really think it’s a foregone conclusion. More and more people think the date should be changed. More and more councils are cancelling celebrations on the day. Less and less people buying little Australian flags and thongs. Soon it’ll just be a few angry people screaming about keeping it and everyone will just ignore it. Government won’t have to do anything. It’s gone.
Why. Are ratepayers smashing council doors down to abandon the celebrations?

Don't be a fool.
Indigenous people never owned this country and never will.

What you and your lefty woke friends are doing is being decisive and putting one group of people as more important than others.
They aren't, and never will be.

Anyway, there's a reason folks ignore the politics thread, so it's probably time to tap out of this one too - at least until it starts discussing footy.
Hope you Had A Great Australia Day mate.

Wake up and realize why you live in the best country in the world, and quit trying destroy it.🇦🇺

Yes but that 3% used to be 100% didn't it? I don't recall any genocide perpetuated against Italians.

Surely a day can be found that allows all Australians to celebrate but also gives indigenous people the respect they deserved in 1788.
Use to?
Yes. Will never be that way again.

Indigenous people get plenty of respect, but there's no turning back. Migrants have made this country into what it is today. There's no turning back, and nor should we.

Don't be a fool.
Indigenous people never owned this country and never will.

What you and your lefty woke friends are doing is being decisive and putting one group of people as more important than others.
They aren't, and never will be.
Well good to see we have hit peak Adelaide Bigfooty now.

Congrats to all involved, time to shut down the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back