News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he left because unlike you he could see that the club is wasting its time circling the drain with a gameplan that doesn't work in finals under a proven failure of a coach?

If my number 1 motivator as a player was to win a premiership, I'd have started packing my bags on 15 August too. It's the players who stayed who worry me as to whether they really want to win one or not.
Here's a simple test of football IQ: how many of the top eight teams had less than two defenders who averaged 2 or more intercept marks per game?

GWS - Sam Taylor (3.7), Nick Haynes (2.3), Jack Buckley (2.0)
Collingwood - Darcy Moore (3.6), Isaac Quaynor (2.5), Nathan Murphy (2.2)
Brisbane - Harris Andrews (3.5), Jack Payne (2.4)
Melbourne - Jake Lever (3.0), Steven May (2.5)
Carlton - Jacob Weitering (3.7), Brodie Kemp (2.7), Mitch McGovern (2.5), Caleb Marchbank (2.5)
Sydney - Tom McCartin (2.7), Nick Blakey (2.0)
St Kilda - Callum Wilkie (2.8), Josh Battle (2.7), Dougal Howard (2.1)

Port Adelaide - Aliir Aliir (3.1)...next best was McKenzie with 1.8 per game - 57th in the competition. Even at his best, Jonas wasn't what I would call an intecepting defender.

Add Ratugolea (2.8) and Zerk-Thatcher (2.2) and maybe next year we'll actually get somewhere with this 'gameplan that doesn't work in finals under a proven failure of a coach'.

The club is fine with lots of things they shouldn't be fine with. For example, being very unsuccessful for a very long time and continuing to back in the people who have been the cause of this.
What this got to do with Duursma though?

Here's a simple test of football IQ: how many of the top eight teams had less than two defenders who averaged 2 or more intercept marks per game?

Carlton - Jacob Weitering (3.7), Brodie Kemp (2.7), Mitch McGovern (2.5), Caleb Marchbank (2.5)

Port Adelaide - Aliir Aliir (3.1)...next best was McKenzie with 1.8 per game - 57th in the competition. Even at his best, Jonas wasn't what I would call an intecepting defender.

Add Ratugolea (2.8) and Zerk-Thatcher (2.2) and maybe next year we'll actually get somewhere with this 'gameplan that doesn't work in finals under a proven failure of a coach'.

Here's a simple test of football IQ: how many intercept marks per game would Trent McKenzie have averaged if you were statistically fair and removed the 2 games where he was subbed off before quarter time?

Your post is utter nonsense.

If Kane or Rucci are saying it, it's come from people inside the club.
Definitely. When Kane said that about Duursma, my first thought was that he is lying and it is just another bizarre and unneeded propaganda piece from the Kenny Hinkley Football Club.

We have never heard Duursma ever talk about wanting to play midfield and he enjoys playing and is a winger.

They really are special needs down at Alberton. Any possible negativity of the club, no matter how small, is dealt in the media with lies.

They really are so far gone it's not funny.

Maybe he left because unlike you he could see that the club is wasting its time circling the drain with a gameplan that doesn't work in finals under a proven failure of a coach?

If my number 1 motivator as a player was to win a premiership, I'd have started packing my bags on 15 August too. It's the players who stayed who worry me as to whether they really want to win one or not.
The gameplan and the overall attitude of the club is appalling and so against the Creed, you feel like putting on a Woodpeckers or Panthers scarf.

For anyone who knows footy, those two finals loses and both Showdown loses really show where we are at.

Except he chose to go to Essendon...

I think people are missing the point, X had a 1 year gig and after that most probably goodbye yellow brick road.
Not sure what his offer at Essendon is but something like 3 year deal for 1.5 mill wouldn’t be a long way off.
He gets to play at home and is guaranteed good coin for 3 years.
Seriously there was only one option, forget all the midfield bs or other fairy tales.
End of the day like most things in life it comes down to the $.
He took it good on him, anyone would have done the same.

Okay, so to be clear, the reason we didn't win the flag this year is because Trent McKenzie took one less intercept mark per five games than Nick Blakey?

While you're at it Janus, could you re-do those numbers for 2021 and 2022, other years in which we didn't win the premiership? I'm sure you'll come to the same numbers, because this is clearly an ongoing pattern, and not just some bullshit you've dreamed up to justify your eleven years of desperate defending of this dogshit coaching group?

If it’s on BF it has to be true, just like the secret transition from Hinkley to Carr.

I read that as Hinkley to Caro and it disturbed me on many levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, he would have been much better with us next year if he had stuck around. He chose to take the limp dick option and leave - he could have easily said 'Nah, I'll stick around and see out my contract next year' for the reasons I laid out.

My posts about strategy, tactics and list composition are based on the idea that the player is giving his all, is doing his job and actually wants to be there. Neither you nor I are privy to what goes on behind closed doors and the attitude each player has - but his lackluster performance at the B&F (which is information I didn't have at the time of posting) tells me that his attitude was poor to average at best. The fact that we didn't do what Melbourne did with Petty and say Duursma is a required player tells me that at best it was mutually agreed that it was beneficial for both parties if Xavier left.

I changed my mind about Duursma not because he got traded, but because he asked to be traded while under contract from a club that had finished top four with little to no input from him as a player. I believed that he would have been disappointed with his season and want to make amends.

I was wrong.

If it had been a case where we had done what Hawthorn did to Burton in the Wingard trade, where Duursma didn't want to go and we had to convince him, I stick to my original assessment that getting rid of him would be a mistake (though in terms of actual structure, getting Zerk-Thatcher to act as that athletic 'third tall' Lever type to Aliir and Ratugolea is probably more important). It's the ease of which he left the club after consecutive poor seasons - he didn't have the fight to say 'Nah, that's not the player I am, I'm much better than that and I'm going to show it next year now that we're getting another defender or two.'
Do you ever get halfway through a a post and go wait what am I saying?

Duursma may well have said what Davies recounted because he didn't want to say what he was really thinking. Now he is free to say whatever he wants.

I wish him well.

The club is fine with lots of things they shouldn't be fine with. For example, being very unsuccessful for a very long time and continuing to back in the people who have been the cause of this.

It’s weird how we have all these key guys/coveted pieces suddenly wanting out of Kenny’s Cuddle Cult out of their own accord, seemingly at random.

While you're at it Janus, could you re-do those numbers for 2021 and 2022, other years in which we didn't win the premiership? I'm sure you'll come to the same numbers, because this is clearly an ongoing pattern, and not just some bullshit you've dreamed up to justify your eleven years of desperate defending of this dogshit coaching group?

His retconned statistical justifications would make the Reserve Bank proud.

This year’s premiers won a Qualifying Final — against a team boasting oodles of All-Australians and premiership players — despite losing the inside50 count by a staggering 32, clearances by 4, and the free kick count by 6.

Not sure Duursma going to a club that hasn't won a final in 20 years helps this argument.

His retconned statistical justifications would make the Reserve Bank proud.

This year’s premiers won a Qualifying Final — against a team boasting oodles of All-Australians and premiership players — despite losing the inside50 count by a staggering 32, clearances by 4, and the free kick count by 6.
Impossible how can any coach win a qualifying final without “the cattle” ?!?

I see Dougal Howard meets Janus's criteria. I wonder what was being said at the time of his trading away that he didn't fit the gameplan, now that he's an example of a player who can fit the gameplan?

I see Dougal Howard meets Janus's criteria. I wonder what was being said at the time of his trading away that he didn't fit the gameplan, now that he's an example of a player who can fit the gameplan?

I distinctly remember him saying he spoiled instead of intercept marked too much, whatever his absence meant to our lasting benefit while spending the past 4 years getting destroyed by opposition key forwards.

Tex Walker won a Showdown Medal lol.

If Kane or Rucci are saying it, it's come from people inside the club.

Kane made it up to get us to turn on the player, to argue between each other mate, to blame the player not the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back