News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

That's funny, less than 3 weeks ago after the season you had this to say about Duursma

Sounds ALMOST like you've changed your opinion on Duursma because he got traded 🤷‍♂️
Janus with his crazy explanations
The Butcher-lover's gonna need his medication
When he hears Janus's lame exaggerations
There'll be trouble in town, tonight!

Janus with his crazy explanations
The Butcher-lover's gonna need his medication
When he hears Janus's lame exaggerations
There'll be trouble in town, tonight!
Janus, the club is on fire!
Noooo Bigfooty, that's just Xavier Duursma's unprofessionalism.

Duursma was never the fastest or most skilled player, but he always gave 100% and has made the most of his talent to date so it's mixed emotions seeing him go. Unfortunately he's had a few injury riddled seasons, but I don't think that's because of his professionalism or lack of desire. If anything it was probably his desire to get back too soon, which contributed to the injuries. If he struggles at Essendon we'll all sit back and think Port got the most out of him. Time will tell.

Did anyone at the club actually say he wanted to leave for midfield time?

It came from Kane: Further details revealed on Duursma's decision to leave Port Adelaide
“What led to his exit was his exit meeting at Port Adelaide where, and there’s a good relationship between Duursma and Port Adelaide, but he sat down and said, ‘Look, I’m after more midfield time, do you see me as a viable midfield option going forward at this club?’,” Cornes told AFL Trade Radio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason he left had nothing to do with any midfield minutes

On the surface I just figured the club had to find a player with enough value to help get he deals done that they wanted that they felt could be replaced. X seemed to suggest both he and the club had become a bit frustrated with his injuries.

Ok. So noone at the actual club.
Where do you reckon Kane gets his scoops? He is trying to keep his brother in a job, which is tied to the head coach, who gifted him 300 games..... see where this all ties in?

That's funny, less than 3 weeks ago after the season you had this to say about Duursma
Yes, he would have been much better with us next year if he had stuck around. He chose to take the limp dick option and leave - he could have easily said 'Nah, I'll stick around and see out my contract next year' for the reasons I laid out.
Sounds ALMOST like you've changed your opinion on Duursma because he got traded 🤷‍♂️
My posts about strategy, tactics and list composition are based on the idea that the player is giving his all, is doing his job and actually wants to be there. Neither you nor I are privy to what goes on behind closed doors and the attitude each player has - but his lackluster performance at the B&F (which is information I didn't have at the time of posting) tells me that his attitude was poor to average at best. The fact that we didn't do what Melbourne did with Petty and say Duursma is a required player tells me that at best it was mutually agreed that it was beneficial for both parties if Xavier left.

I changed my mind about Duursma not because he got traded, but because he asked to be traded while under contract from a club that had finished top four with little to no input from him as a player. I believed that he would have been disappointed with his season and want to make amends.

I was wrong.

If it had been a case where we had done what Hawthorn did to Burton in the Wingard trade, where Duursma didn't want to go and we had to convince him, I stick to my original assessment that getting rid of him would be a mistake (though in terms of actual structure, getting Zerk-Thatcher to act as that athletic 'third tall' Lever type to Aliir and Ratugolea is probably more important). It's the ease of which he left the club after consecutive poor seasons - he didn't have the fight to say 'Nah, that's not the player I am, I'm much better than that and I'm going to show it next year now that we're getting another defender or two.'

Yes, he would have been much better with us next year if he had stuck around. He chose to take the limp dick option and leave - he could have easily said 'Nah, I'll stick around and see out my contract next year' for the reasons I laid out.

My posts about strategy, tactics and list composition are based on the idea that the player is giving his all, is doing his job and actually wants to be there. Neither you nor I are privy to what goes on behind closed doors and the attitude each player has - but his lackluster performance at the B&F (which is information I didn't have at the time of posting) tells me that his attitude was poor to average at best. The fact that we didn't do what Melbourne did with Petty and say Duursma is a required player tells me that at best it was mutually agreed that it was beneficial for both parties if Xavier left.

I changed my mind about Duursma not because he got traded, but because he asked to be traded while under contract from a club that had finished top four with little to no input from him as a player. I believed that he would have been disappointed with his season and want to make amends.

I was wrong.

If it had been a case where we had done what Hawthorn did to Burton in the Wingard trade, where Duursma didn't want to go and we had to convince him, I stick to my original assessment that getting rid of him would be a mistake (though in terms of actual structure, getting Zerk-Thatcher to act as that athletic 'third tall' Lever type to Aliir and Ratugolea is probably more important). It's the ease of which he left the club after consecutive poor seasons - he didn't have the fight to say 'Nah, that's not the player I am, I'm much better than that and I'm going to show it next year now that we're getting another defender or two.'

Did he want to leave though? Or was he encouraged to leave because we’d made too many other promises and needed more trade capital to get them all over the line?

Did he want to leave though? Or was he encouraged to leave because we’d made too many other promises and needed more trade capital to get them all over the line?

He should've stayed even though he was told he wasn't wanted and to go somewhere else. He should've backed himself in and realised that the inclusion of Zerk-Thatcher would be a game changer for him.

From what ive been told X initiated it, the club was ok with it happening

I was wrong.

Maybe he left because unlike you he could see that the club is wasting its time circling the drain with a gameplan that doesn't work in finals under a proven failure of a coach?

If my number 1 motivator as a player was to win a premiership, I'd have started packing my bags on 15 August too. It's the players who stayed who worry me as to whether they really want to win one or not.

Whether he was pushed or not, does it really matter? Seems like both parties were fine with it.

The club is fine with lots of things they shouldn't be fine with. For example, being very unsuccessful for a very long time and continuing to back in the people who have been the cause of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back