Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it, couldn’t see how AFLGM could knock it on the head

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They could knock it back by replicating the support that has been given to them for the past 10 years by way of KDFNL being administered by them .
The KDFNL , AFLGM’s own administered league being impacted by an attempt to whack the picola league is a massive failure .

They could knock it back by replicating the support that has been given to them for the past 10 years by way of KDFNL being administered by them .
The KDFNL , AFLGM’s own administered league being impacted by an attempt to whack the picola league is a massive failure .

How is it an attempt to whack the Picola league?? Looks like 7 clubs united in the same wants, central location, junior development and affiliation

Does make you wonder what the Murray league gain from this
With all the extra workload of administrating an additional league?
Are they upping their admin staffing from the one operations manager?
Are they gaining additional funding?
Are they becoming a type of mini independent hub ?
Or is it just so the extra club (Tocumwal ) they took on board last year can have a new home and not hinder the rest of their pre-existing clubs with non-competitive teams as originally stated?

How is it an attempt to whack the Picola league?? Looks like 7 clubs united in the same wants, central location, junior development and affiliation

It commenced with afl trying whack the PDFNL for not being affiliated , as they have in the past .
Some structure as the pdfnl has and the KDFNL has been trying to establish and many of the clubs haven’t had an issue travelling in the past , and joined the leagues knowing the travel existed and in the KDL’s case that they didn’t have the same junior structure .
Nice story history suggests otherwise .

Does make you wonder what the Murray league gain from this
With all the extra workload of administrating an additional league?
Are they upping their admin staffing from the one operations manager?
Are they gaining additional funding?
Are they becoming a type of mini independent hub ?
Or is it just so the extra club (Tocumwal ) they took on board last year can have a new home and not hinder the rest of their pre-existing clubs with non-competitive teams as originally stated?
Attempting to control football within the region to
Limit impact on MFL. Has been occurring for decades with many very interesting tactics .
Picola League not being affiliated means AFL are supportive of any and as much disruption as well .

Last edited:
I'm hearing they have! 😬

Fact or speculation?

If AFL GM have in fact vetoed the new district league they should come out publicly ASAP and state this, or at least if in ongoing discussions still they should also be up front and state that.
This proposal has the potential to impact 3 of the leagues locally significantly - and also one other if Broadford's application is indeed dependent on the future structure and operation of the KDFNL and whether it has any current clubs move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact or speculation?

If AFL GM have in fact vetoed the new district league they should come out publicly ASAP and state this, or at least if in ongoing discussions still they should also be up front and state that.
This proposal has the potential to impact 3 of the leagues locally significantly - and also one other if Broadford's application is indeed dependent on the future structure and operation of the KDFNL and whether it has any current clubs move.
New league meeting is tomorrow night to vote in broadford. Emails got sent out today about Murray league div 2 is a no go and ardmona couldn't get all their stuff together so not competing in 2024

New league meeting is tomorrow night to vote in broadford. Emails got sent out today about Murray league div 2 is a no go and ardmona couldn't get all their stuff together so not competing in 2024
The person who ensured it got as much publicity as possible hasn’t been heard of since its demise .
Fired plenty of shots and gave high hopes during the process .

This is how AFL think they are supporting grassroots footy they don’t give a s**t
The majority of clubs within the league may support AFL’s decision . If the case and they have done what the majority wanted and what they have deemed is best for football , are they in the wrong to have made that decision ?
How they derived at that decision and what took place prior is another point .

The majority of clubs within the league may support AFL’s decision . If the case and they have done what the majority wanted and what they have deemed is best for football , are they in the wrong to have made that decision ?
How they derived at that decision and what took place prior is another point .
The only people that are disappointed are the 1's that purely wanted the league to go ahead? Me personally? I didn't care eitherway? I understand why those clubs had interest in leaving. More around the opportunity to build from within with extra side's & them all playing together on the same day at the same venue!

But I can also understand why AFL GM have done what they have done! No matter what anyone says, on paper everything looks fine! But it's a huge risk not only for the clubs leaving but the clubs staying in their respective league's!

Stability is probably the biggest thing everyone is currently asking for at the moment hence why I reckon they've said "Sorry not this year"! If the league did go ahead & struggled & within 3-5yrs folded then the clubs that left their respective leagues are then most likely knocking on the door to come back? Which creates a divide? But on the other hand if the league was successful then you have another 10 clubs asking what is right for them? Should they continue to stay or should they test the waters??

I know it looks as simple as the league isn't going ahead because the AFL GM said no? But there's many many factors that go along with it that could cause disastrous results! Hence why I believe they voted in favour of stability at this current time!

That's just my 2 cents! 👍🏾

Interesting.

Like smooth mover, I wasn't fussed either way with how it would all pan out but on one front, AFL Vic says they won't get involved in the shitstorm that is the Central Victoria debacle, saying we have no power to force leagues to do things.

On another front, AFL Vic is telling (or forcing?) a league not to do something ...

How does the dictionary define "hypocrisy"?

The only people that are disappointed are the 1's that purely wanted the league to go ahead? Me personally? I didn't care eitherway? I understand why those clubs had interest in leaving. More around the opportunity to build from within with extra side's & them all playing together on the same day at the same venue!

But I can also understand why AFL GM have done what they have done! No matter what anyone says, on paper everything looks fine! But it's a huge risk not only for the clubs leaving but the clubs staying in their respective league's!

Stability is probably the biggest thing everyone is currently asking for at the moment hence why I reckon they've said "Sorry not this year"! If the league did go ahead & struggled & within 3-5yrs folded then the clubs that left their respective leagues are then most likely knocking on the door to come back? Which creates a divide? But on the other hand if the league was successful then you have another 10 clubs asking what is right for them? Should they continue to stay or should they test the waters??

I know it looks as simple as the league isn't going ahead because the AFL GM said no? But there's many many factors that go along with it that could cause disastrous results! Hence why I believe they voted in favour of stability at this current time!

That's just my 2 cents! 👍🏾
Some really good points there Smooth.

Hopefully AFLGM and the KDL see how desperate clubs are to have the junior pathway sorted out.

What we had in 2023 was tough to navigate with only 8 clubs in the Under 18s and 7 clubs in the Under 14s. How can we avoid these junior competitions falling over completely? Is there any scope to have Under 11s in the KDL also? In 2024, there will be 5 KDL clubs fielding Under 10s teams in the GMJL. There is certainly appetite for the complete pathway at community level.

To have a number of clubs within the KDL who are Seniors and Reserves only, is a real concern. There were rounds in 2023, where only one game of Reserves footy was played for the whole day! Hosting minimal crowds impact the running costs and engaging power of clubs.

In my opinion: Avenel, Nagambie and Tally could each start a 4ths & 5ths team in 2024, as they have representation in the GMJL in some form, that would give 10 clubs in the 4ths. Broadford would also add another.

I worry for 3 of the clubs directly around Kyabram, as the current St Augs/Ky Bombers junior arrangement appears to be building up Kyabram and Lancaster at the detriment of the others. If I were leading Girgarre, Stanhope or Merrigum; I would be concerned about where future players are coming from and be asking questions about how we can get juniors within our ranks.

Perhaps this whole exercise won’t be for nothing as it has shown that a number of clubs (beyond the 4 that committed) are seriously looking at their options for the future.

I do wonder where Tocumwal, Katandra and Tungamah will land now?

Could the AFLGM create a 18 team competition this month by directing Tocumwal, Tungamah, Katandra and Broadford into the KDL?

Two pools of 9, one pool that has juniors and one that doesn’t?

Or will the status quo remain?

Watch this space!

Last edited:
Some really good points there Smooth.

Hopefully AFLGM and the KDL see how desperate clubs are to have the junior pathway sorted out.

What we had in 2023 was tough to navigate with only 8 clubs in the Under 18s and 7 clubs in the Under 14s. How can we avoid these junior competitions falling over completely? Is there any scope to have Under 11s in the KDL also? In 2024, there will be 5 KDL clubs fielding Under 10s teams in the GMJL. There is certainly appetite for the complete pathway at community level.

To have a number of clubs within the KDL who are Seniors and Reserves only, is a real concern. There were rounds in 2023, where only one game of Reserves footy was played for the whole day! Hosting minimal crowds impact the running costs and engaging power of clubs.

In my opinion: Avenel, Nagambie and Tally could each start a 4ths & 5ths team in 2024, as they have representation in the GMJL in some form, that would give 10 clubs in the 4ths. Broadford would also add another.

I worry for 3 of the clubs directly around Kyabram, as the current St Augs/Ky Bombers junior arrangement appears to be building up Kyabram and Lancaster at the detriment of the others. If I were leading Girgarre, Stanhope or Merrigum; I would be concerned about where future players are coming from and be asking questions about how we can get juniors within our ranks.

Perhaps this whole exercise won’t be for nothing as it has shown that a number of clubs (beyond the 4 that committed) are seriously looking at their options for the future.

I do wonder where Tocumwal, Katandra and Tungamah will land now?

Could the AFLGM create a 18 team competition this month by directing Tocumwal, Tungamah, Katandra and Broadford into the KDL?

Two pools of 9, one pool that has juniors and one that doesn’t?

Or will the status quo remain?

Watch this space!
As per usual GK you're on the money & all over the greater points of the league & potential structure! Couldn't agree more with your comments! Hope all is well in the land of plenty..... 👍🏾

GrassKat - this concept is highly logical.

Add the mentioned clubs to get to 18. Put the clubs similarly placed into two grades - one for those with juniors and one for those without.

It means that clubs with juniors should have a full book of football and netball matches at their venue most, if not all, weeks and also clubs don't have situation whereby a team plays once in a month due to the 'luck' of the fixture which helps result in kids following other pursuits because they are not playing regularly.

The ideal scenario that all the football and netball teams play the same team at the same venue should be the ultimate goal for leagues and clubs.

As you say, the whole MDL scenario may prove to have been worth it in time if your idea was to occur and meet the needs of clubs better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back