Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happens, the direction needs to come from above in some part. But I get the general feeling AFL Vic don’t care too much about KD and will happily let some clubs fold, or merge. Perhaps that’s what needs to happen.

Is a senior only competition viable? Many of the clubs around Kyabram are struggling for juniors or at least 1 grade anyway. If a few of the teams with juniors did leave (Murch, Dookie, SE, perhaps Undera) could Rushworth, Merrigum, Lancaster, Stanhope and Girgarre, Tally and whoever else remain and play without junior football? It’s a point of difference at least.

Or is it going to be that some of the remaining clubs create mergers and also join other leagues to bolster their juniors and take the pressure of what is happening each year.

It’s been the same story the last few years since Covid and I don’t see any solution without changes being made and some direction from the AFL.
IMO , the AFL are localised junior comp eccentric which is driven by their primary( or overwhelming ) objective being to simplify the identifying of junior elite talent .
Community football and what football / netball means to the community is of distant interest .
I can’t see AFL backing away from their intent to have all kids in junior only comps which significantly affects senior playing numbers .
It is amplified significantly within the KDL due to proximity of clubs to major cities / junior comps .
A senior only comp IMO is not sustainable, it’s merely a 2-3 year delay and therefore I think there is likely to become a severe breaking point within the next 2-3 years .
I believe clubs/ leagues around the state are unfortunately going to be forced to decide either fold or move away from AFL / AFL Vic.

I’ve seen some recent press advertising that Nagambie has 112 junior soccer members.

Unfortunately for all the dominance in junior soccer, it all falls to pieces once players turn 18 and leave the sport in droves.

I’d suggest that the Tabilk junior model is doing nothing for Avenel, and appears to be giving a free hit to soccer in Nagambie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back