Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever happens, the direction needs to come from above in some part. But I get the general feeling AFL Vic don’t care too much about KD and will happily let some clubs fold, or merge. Perhaps that’s what needs to happen.

Is a senior only competition viable? Many of the clubs around Kyabram are struggling for juniors or at least 1 grade anyway. If a few of the teams with juniors did leave (Murch, Dookie, SE, perhaps Undera) could Rushworth, Merrigum, Lancaster, Stanhope and Girgarre, Tally and whoever else remain and play without junior football? It’s a point of difference at least.

Or is it going to be that some of the remaining clubs create mergers and also join other leagues to bolster their juniors and take the pressure of what is happening each year.

It’s been the same story the last few years since Covid and I don’t see any solution without changes being made and some direction from the AFL.
IMO , the AFL are localised junior comp eccentric which is driven by their primary( or overwhelming ) objective being to simplify the identifying of junior elite talent .
Community football and what football / netball means to the community is of distant interest .
I can’t see AFL backing away from their intent to have all kids in junior only comps which significantly affects senior playing numbers .
It is amplified significantly within the KDL due to proximity of clubs to major cities / junior comps .
A senior only comp IMO is not sustainable, it’s merely a 2-3 year delay and therefore I think there is likely to become a severe breaking point within the next 2-3 years .
I believe clubs/ leagues around the state are unfortunately going to be forced to decide either fold or move away from AFL / AFL Vic.

Get your Votes In - Top 5 best looking blokes in KDFL? 1- jake mills 2- Rielly Old 3- Jye Borg 4- Darcy Collins 5 - Shannon Campbell

special mention - Brad O'Reilly - Josh Wild and Jack Myers

I’ve seen some recent press advertising that Nagambie has 112 junior soccer members.

Unfortunately for all the dominance in junior soccer, it all falls to pieces once players turn 18 and leave the sport in droves.

I’d suggest that the Tabilk junior model is doing nothing for Avenel, and appears to be giving a free hit to soccer in Nagambie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weeks matches look promising:

2 v 1 - Lanky v MT
3 v 4 - Ave v SE

11 v 12 - DU v Rush
9 v 7 - Gig v Nag

13 v 8 - Long v Merr
14 v 6 - Und v Stan
5 v 10 - Tally v VT

This weeks matches look promising:

2 v 1 - Lanky v MT
3 v 4 - Ave v SE

11 v 12 - DU v Rush
9 v 7 - Gig v Nag

13 v 8 - Long v Merr
14 v 6 - Und v Stan
5 v 10 - Tally v VT
What’s with the footy talk? I thought this was a forum to rate the looks of blokes in the league 🤣🤣

Probably the last time the top 4 will play each other in the same weekend until finals.

I know if may well be a longshot but does anyone have any old copies of the following from the 80s or 90s that they are willing to part with?

I am over east in a few weeks and will be in the Goulburn Valley on Thursday May 30 and would love to secure one or more of as many of these as possible in my travels. If you can help me out, please send me a message.

Football Records from 1980s or 1990s
Kyabram Dist (Record?)
Benalla & Dist (On The Ball)
Echuca (Circle)
Goulburn Valley (Weekender)
Murray (Weekender)
Northern Dist (Record)
Ovens & King (Record)
Picola (Spectator?)
Tungamah (Record?)

Football League History
Picola FL (printed c.1990)

round 5 tips
Shepp east over Avenel by 36 points
Nagambie over gig by 60 points
Murch tool over Lancaster by 18 points
Merrigun over Longwood by 24 points
Tally over VT by 80 points
Dookie over rushy by 60 points
Stanhope over undera by 50 points

Swans to knock off Shepp east by 2 goals

Gig to beat Nagambie in a dog fight, wonder when last time this happened was?

Murch over Lanc by 10pts

Merrigum will pump Longwood. 10 goals +

Tally over VT by 50

Rushy will beat dookie and notch up 2nd win

And stanny will pump undera

Few upsets is what the comp needs!!

Swans to knock off Shepp east by 2 goals

Gig to beat Nagambie in a dog fight, wonder when last time this happened was?

Murch over Lanc by 10pts

Merrigum will pump Longwood. 10 goals +

Tally over VT by 50

Rushy will beat dookie and notch up 2nd win

And stanny will pump undera

Few upsets is what the comp needs!!
Gig beat nagambie by a point in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back