Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

I like this, but it is very Central Districts in the 1970-80s

View attachment 1678752

I would really love to see someone take that green, maroon and gold that has some photo shop skill and see what this would look like? Actually embedding a T for Tasmania into the design would give the design some relevance.
View attachment 1678755

So what if Centrals/Footscray used the design fifty years ago? Still a great concept, I’d love to see a club utilise it!

Tassie is a unique state in terms of size, it's only 68k square kilometres. Vic is the smallest mainland state and Tassie is 1/3 of the size. You compare it to NSW, Tassie is less than 1/10th of the size. The club will naturally draw people from all around the state as it's not a long trip to get to Hobart, and they will most likely play a few games in Launceston too.

That's not going to be the case in any other state in Australia. So they are Tasmania, they represent the whole state. The want and need all of the support.
It doesn't matter about the land size as it does the population?

Tasmania is bigger than Sydney in land mass? But Sydney does dwarf Tasmania in population 5.5mil to 600000!

Hobart homes over half the Tasmanian population and deserves to have the first club named after a city with such history and it gives people world wide a location where the club is based? Launceston is 200k away? They're not going to support a Hobart based club, don't think that they will. lol!

I live on the Gold Coast! 10 minutes from Carrara Stadium, 10 years ago the Gold Coast was granted the 17th AFL licence! And I lived through this so I know what I'm talking about!

AFL supporters didn't stop barracking for their original AFL clubs? And haven't embraced the Gold Coast club as their own. There's no incentive to do so? We ignore the Suns if anything? I couldn't tell you who their captain is or who their best players are! But I can recall every detail of the Essendon Football Clubs history.

Every game is shown on television so you still support your AFL club and go to Gold Coast stadium when your AFL club is playing there. You consider travelling, and this is only a consideration because it's shown on television anyway, going to Brisbane, which is only 40 minutes aways? Some Melbourne suburbs are further away from the MCG and Docklands than the Gold Coast is from Brisbane! Launceston is 2 hours away from Hobart? If people from the Gold Coast don't travel to Brisbane then no one will be prepared to travel further every second week? haha!

You need the support of the Hobart locals! Tap into their footballing community! I cannot stress this point enough! I've seen first hand am expansion club come to live and fail because they don't know what they're doing, from club colours to theme song, to jumper design to access to the stadium.

Hobart locals will make up the base supporters group. Your members. They will turn up every week because it's their team! You overlook this and you risk isolating the club to irrelevance? 300000 population and you need close to 30000 supporters to turn up every second week. You'll get that if you call the first Tasmanian club Hobart,

Plus no other club is named after a state?

York Park in Launceston could hold 18000 and if they could increase their stadium capacity to 28000 they would become a viable AFL commodity. To get a Tasmanian rivalry would increase the footballing talent from Tasmania and spark interest in the league much like every other state. You'll notice that they all have 2 clubs playing out of them!

There's no reason that Tasmania won't eventually have 2 clubs as well!

Tasmania is bigger than Sydney in land mass? But Sydney does dwarf Tasmania in population 5.5mil to 600000!

Hobart homes over half the Tasmanian population and deserves to have the first club named after a city with such history and it gives people world wide a location where the club is based? Launceston is 200k away? They're not going to support a Hobart based club, don't think that they will. lol!

I live on the Gold Coast! 10 minutes from Carrara Stadium, 10 years ago the Gold Coast was granted the 17th AFL licence! And I lived through this so I know what I'm talking about!

AFL supporters didn't stop barracking for their original AFL clubs? And haven't embraced the Gold Coast club as their own. There's no incentive to do so? We ignore the Suns if anything? I couldn't tell you who their captain is or who their best players are! But I can recall every detail of the Essendon Football Clubs history.

Every game is shown on television so you still support your AFL club and go to Gold Coast stadium when your AFL club is playing there. You consider travelling, and this is only a consideration because it's shown on television anyway, going to Brisbane, which is only 40 minutes aways? Some Melbourne suburbs are further away from the MCG and Docklands than the Gold Coast is from Brisbane! Launceston is 2 hours away from Hobart? If people from the Gold Coast don't travel to Brisbane then no one will be prepared to travel further every second week? haha!

You need the support of the Hobart locals! Tap into their footballing community! I cannot stress this point enough! I've seen first hand am expansion club come to live and fail because they don't know what they're doing, from club colours to theme song, to jumper design to access to the stadium.

Hobart locals will make up the base supporters group. Your members. They will turn up every week because it's their team! You overlook this and you risk isolating the club to irrelevance? 300000 population and you need close to 30000 supporters to turn up every second week. You'll get that if you call the first Tasmanian club Hobart,

York Park in Launceston could hold 18000 and if they could increase their stadium capacity to 28000 they would become a viable AFL commodity. To get a Tasmanian rivalry would increase the footballing talent from Tasmania and spark interest in the league much like every other state. You'll notice that they all have 2 clubs playing out of them!

I like the fairytale idea of two teams but it wouldn’t happen or at least not for another 60 years. (I would say never but plenty of people said we would never get ONE so)

If the suns had have had any form of success a lot of those people would have jumped on board, at least as their second team. They were more going after the second generation of fan anyway.

West Coast didn’t call themselves Perth but despite this they did pretty well.

West Coast didn’t call themselves Perth but despite this they did pretty well.
You could argue that calling themselves West Coast instead of Perth has been a huge benefit for them because more of the WA population supports them because it's their team rather than being Perth's team.

You could argue that calling themselves West Coast instead of Perth has been a huge benefit for them because more of the WA population supports them because it's their team rather than being Perth's team.
Or, it has nothing to do with the name and it's similar to the Adelaide V Port Adelaide situation, where Adelaide were the first team so everyone in SA (without an allegiance already) supported them. Then when Port came in, they took a minority of supporters from the Crows.

You have a questionable use of '?', do you know how to use them! (?)

Personally, I really don't want a team logo slapped on the centre of that guernsey. The standalone stripe is strong enough for a home design.

AFL have tried with GWS and Gold Coast to include logos on the guernsey and we don't regard them as strong designs.
Establish a good strong design (like Rubber Arm 's designs above, and magpienato 's a few pages back) and leave it at that for years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I really don't want a team logo slapped on the centre of that guernsey. The standalone stripe is strong enough for a home design.

AFL have tried with GWS and Gold Coast to include logos on the guernsey and we don't regard them as strong designs.
Establish a good strong design (like RubberArms' designs above) and leave it at that for years.
Really like these! First one if my favourite, maybe just a little wider though.

Establish a good strong design (like Rubber Arm 's designs above, and magpienato 's a few pages back) and leave it at that for years.
Fully onboard with you there, I feel tassie should keep it simple yet effective as a traditional footy design. This isn't a newly created team like GWS and Gold Coast, so stick to traditional designs. I was just curious to see what it'd look like

Similar design to your first one but closer to the colour pallet of what the state team is currently using, which I personally prefer:
1683591438484.png

1867e4fde726f9ee40abdc59a3b68a0a88cb5616-16x9-x0y329w1854h1043.jpg

I don't want the map of Tasmania on the jumper, personally. This isn't State of Origin
Simplicity is the key. Stripes always worked, whether a tri-panel, an oldskool Central Districts-style design, or something else

Rubber Arm's ideas above are a good sort of basis IMO
But then again, what do I know :p

Hey guys :) I've been thinking about how a Tassie team's guernsey could look should we be granted a license to join the league as a stand-alone club (not a relocation).

I don't think we should enter the league with the traditional map jumper for a couple of reasons:
  • It's a state of origin jumper. We'd be entering the league as a club representing a state, rather than as a state (same as the Adelaide Crows).
  • Whilst very traditional, it's a pretty bland design.
In saying that, I think a Tassie Devils jumper should still visualise the shape of Tasmania, but in a more stylistic and less literal way.

Here is the design I've come up with:

View attachment 1167949
Love the design mate! Looks unreal. Are you willing to share the mockup template? I'd love to have a go at designing a jumper :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back