List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely don't understand this. Yes the football operations needed an overhaul but if his commercial, stakeholder and fiscal management were as strong as they appear it makes no sense to me at all.
Absolutely. Makes no sense at all. And if he was pushed, and it looks absolutely like he was, that's a big payout. Have made profit past 3 years and after many years of effort cleared our debt. Last thing we need is to payout $$ to appease a coach.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If this was a demand of Clarko’s, then I’m fine with it.

A CEO is not a position where you can evaluate somebody by focusing on their strengths and ignoring their weaknesses. Commercially he was fantastic, but in regard to football operations he failed to bring in an experienced operator that he could delegate to.

It’s hard to divide blame between Buckley and Amarfio, but essentially nearly every football decision that Amarfio was involved in was a complete failure. We never properly replaced Geoff Walsh after the 2016 season and our onfield results since then speak for themselves.
Even though only recently appointed President, Sonja has been on the board as a Director the entire time (2-3 years), what's her responsibility in this?

Think he made it clear in the letter, shock jocks like Caro and her relentlessly muck raking nonsense made it impossible.
I Can’t stand that they have got their scalp.
What Ben has been able to achieve in the last 3 years off field is remarkable. And let’s not forget that he has played a part in what’s to come in the near future.

Gutted.
Couldn't agree more. Completely gutted.
Tremendous achievements off field in the COVID period, with most clubs making big losses. For a small club like ours that would have been devastating for our future - his work has secured us for the long term as North Melbourne Football Club, located at Arden St. Where we should be.

Absolutely. Makes no sense at all. And if he was pushed, and it looks absolutely like he was, that's a big payout. Have made profit past 3 years and after many years of effort cleared our debt. Last thing we need is to payout $$ to appease a coach.

He's on a rolling contract, there won't be a pay out.

I’m on top of the world champ. We finally have a coach who has an idea on how a club should be run. It should be music to everyone’s ears. It’s been a while between drinks….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agreed that it's too long between drinks.
Don't agree this is good though - we need a coach & Footy GM that know football and can manage on field AND we need business savvy execs to manage the business (commercial, government relations, future funds, membership etc) to ensure our sustainability and invest in the future.

Why one or the other? We need both and this is a terrible decision. If the Board have allowed Clarko to influence this and Amarfio was pushed, then we have a very weak Board (& one who would now be writing a big cheque).

A strong Board would have given us both.

Seems to be a bit of revision going on. He had some wins and we are in a great position financially, but hard to say he hit it out of the park.

Let’s not forget we had almost cleared our debt before Ben joined.

The work on Arden precinct sounds like a big plus and improving our financial position through COVID was a positive, but it’s not like we maintained onfield performance while managing the books.

We handled the hub poorly, our recruiters left mid season, we have reached the lowest depths on field that North have seen.

I’ve heard that Ben’s people leadership wasn’t great. Lack of communication meant the broader staff (outside his executive team) felt disconnected. Hard to unite under those circumstances. A pretty common failing of senior leaders unfortunately.

Mark Brayshaw doesn’t feel right to me. I hope we keep this momentum going and head hunt the best on the business.

Seems to be a bit of revision going on. He had some wins and we are in a great position financially, but hard to say he hit it out of the park.

Let’s not forget we had almost cleared our debt before Ben joined.

The work on Arden precinct sounds like a big plus and improving our financial position through COVID was a positive, but it’s not like we maintained onfield performance while managing the books.

We handled the hub poorly, our recruiters left mid season, we have reached the lowest depths on field that North have seen.

I’ve heard that Ben’s people leadership wasn’t great. Lack of communication meant the broader staff (outside his executive team) felt disconnected. Hard to unite under those circumstances. A pretty common failing of senior leaders unfortunately.

Mark Brayshaw doesn’t feel right to me. I hope we keep this momentum going and head hunt the best on the business.
Recruiters had to go in my opinion - some pretty poor selections for a few years now. No great loss, although I think only 1 (Luff) due to some performance scrutiny, others had new jobs etc.

The off field is even more remarkable given COVID and poor on field - achieving record membership, securing big sponsors, government investments etc during a rebuild. No easy task.

Hearing the opposite from within / around the club, much loved and respected, friendly, knows everyone and apparently very generous. Given everyone been working remote for so long I'd say that's not a bad report card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben A did a very good job (not perfect) and has left the place in a great position for his successor whoever that may be.

Reading his statement it looks like a main reason for his resignation was the continual sniping and innuendo that has plagued his tenure.

I'm extremely thankful for the job Ben did under rather adverse circumstances.

Hopefully he remains involved with the club in some capacity.

As for his successor, from the names being bandied about I'd be thrilled if we could land Tom Harley - he seems like a very good operator.

I’m on top of the world champ. We finally have a coach who has an idea on how a club should be run. It should be music to everyone’s ears. It’s been a while between drinks….

Good for you. But here's a tip, dance to the music, celebrate Clarko's arrival and look forward to the future. Refrain from pissing on people's graves because it makes you look somewhat petty. Also, the champ bit - might be time to retire that one as it's become a bit of a signpost.

Recruiters had to go in my opinion - some pretty poor selections for a few years now. No great loss, although I think only 1 (Luff) due to some performance scrutiny, others had new jobs etc.

The off field is even more remarkable given COVID and poor on field - achieving record membership, securing big sponsors, government investments etc during a rebuild. No easy task.

Hearing the opposite from within / around the club, much loved and respected, friendly, knows everyone and apparently very generous. Given everyone been working remote for so long I'd say that's not a bad report card.

Luff doesn't seem to have surfaced in clubland. Finnigan took a job in Hawthorn's recruiting (at a lower level than he was at Arden St) and Birthisel left the industry for a job elsewhere is the way I recall it. I expect we will miss Finnigan, not so much Luff, and I don't know about Birthisel, but take it on face value that he genuinely left on good terms and with the club's blessing after completing studies to pursue a career in another field.

I think like everything, it's neither black nor white, and there's nuance to their job performance. Sure we've had some unfortunate drafting and list management decisions over a long period of time but we've also had some recent wins. Last year's crop seems to have been a good haul, but it's perhaps a bit early to be certain of that as our 2020 group appeared to be on track for great things this time last year. It's fair to say though, that with the top 3 placings in the Syd Barker going to 24, 23, and 22 year olds, that our drafting has had some wins over the past 5-6 years.

Good for you. But here's a tip, dance to the music, celebrate Clarko's arrival and look forward to the future. Refrain from pissing on people's graves because it makes you look somewhat petty. Also, the champ bit - might be time to retire that one as it's become a bit of a signpost.

It’s a footy forum bud, where people post their opinions. Stating I was ‘pissing on his grave’ is laughable. I have poured thousands of dollars into this club over the past 30 odd years. Respectfully, I will say what I want and call it as I see it.

Ben A did a very good job (not perfect) and has left the place in a great position for his successor whoever that may be.

Reading his statement it looks like a main reason for his resignation was the continual sniping and innuendo that has plagued his tenure.

I'm extremely thankful for the job Ben did under rather adverse circumstances.

Hopefully he remains involved with the club in some capacity.

As for his successor, from the names being bandied about I'd be thrilled if we could land Tom Harley - he seems like a very good operator.
Media have unfairly crucified him which no doubt would have had an impact, certainly suggests so in his statement. Caro in particular is nasty and vindictive and seemingly targeting him for a while.

Could also have been helped if the president just made a statement supporting him, clearly not an option if Clarko pushing him out

It’s a footy forum bud, where people post their opinions. Stating I was ‘pissing on his grave’ is laughable. I have poured thousands of dollars into this club over the past 30 odd years. Respectfully, I will say what I want and call it as I see it.

Sorry, how is this at all relevant to the discussion at hand?

Sorry, how is this at all relevant to the discussion at hand?

I was accused of ‘pissing on a grave’ after putting forward an opinion and stating facts. I am well within my right to express my opinions, like every other paid up member.

I was accused of ‘pissing on a grave’ after putting forward an opinion and stating facts. I am well within my right to express my opinions, like every other paid up member.

That's correct, you are. This is an internet discussion forum after all.

I'm just curious why you didn't say that in the first place as opposed to applying the self aggrandizing "poured thousands of dollars into this club" mayo.

That's correct, you are. This is an internet discussion forum after all.

I'm just curious why you didn't say that in the first place as opposed to applying the self aggrandizing "poured thousands of dollars into this club" mayo.

Is this curiosity really how you want to spend your Saturday?

The previous poster felt that my criticism was unwarranted, that my criticism was in some way a personal insult. The reference to ‘pouring thousands of dollars into the club’ was to clearly point out that myself, along with many others are not just spectators. We have a vested interest in the matter and it was in no way an attempt to blow my own horn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back