Roast The Origins of Our Current Struggles, laid bare

Remove this Banner Ad

Behold, laid bare and colour-coded for ease of understanding; the origins of the shitty situation we find ourselves on-field.

A few notes;
  • This doesn't include the 2023 draft, as it would be unfair to include those kids this early. McKercher and Duurmas have both shown good signs, as has Riley Hardeman.
  • This does not include the rookie draft/mid season draft.
  • Nor does it include trades/free agents.
Over the last 12~ years we have only 'hit' on 14.2% of our draft picks. In the past 12 years in the National Draft we have successfully recruited only seven players who turned into genuinely good AFL footballers. Of those seven, two of which now play for different teams, and two of which are young kids selected in the 2022 draft.

Quite simply, the era of Cam Joyce and Glenn Luff left this club's playing stocks in tatters. Instead of adding an average of 2 solid best 22 guys per year, we were left with players who couldn't get games, couldn't stay healthy, or were just outright poor footballers.

Basically no team has ever won the flag without a solid 5-10 years of building a competitive list via good selections at the draft table in the lead up to their premiership tilt, and looking at this outline of how poor North's recruitment has been over the last decade-plus really makes it clear how much trouble we're in.

1714225845079.png

I still believe a lot of those players would’ve done well at other clubs. It’s our development. Luff, Brady, Joyce… Whatever. The common theme is a kid looks promising, gets to our club, and doesn’t make it.

Bit rough not counting Jy as a good pick but counting Ben McKay as one.

Bit rough not counting Jy as a good pick but counting Ben McKay as one.
Maybe.
Concussions have left him a shell of his peak.

Maybe.
Concussions have left him a shell of his peak.
In the last year. before that he was one of our best players. (Same with Ben Jacobs unfortunately.)

Jy gets smashed around the head every game and never gets protection from the umpires either.

I agree with most of what you're saying, a couple of players unlucky with injury - EVW, maybe Will Walker and Flynn Perez but alot of busts, especially before 2021.

Behold, laid bare and colour-coded for ease of understanding; the origins of the shitty situation we find ourselves on-field.

A few notes;
  • This doesn't include the 2023 draft, as it would be unfair to include those kids this early. McKercher and Duurmas have both shown good signs, as has Riley Hardeman.
  • This does not include the rookie draft/mid season draft.
  • Nor does it include trades/free agents.
Over the last 12~ years we have only 'hit' on 14.2% of our draft picks. In the past 12 years in the National Draft we have successfully recruited only seven players who turned into genuinely good AFL footballers. Of those seven, two of which now play for different teams, and two of which are young kids selected in the 2022 draft.

Quite simply, the era of Cam Joyce and Glenn Luff left this club's playing stocks in tatters. Instead of adding an average of 2 solid best 22 guys per year, we were left with players who couldn't get games, couldn't stay healthy, or were just outright poor footballers.

Basically no team has ever won the flag without a solid 5-10 years of building a competitive list via good selections at the draft table in the lead up to their premiership tilt, and looking at this outline of how poor North's recruitment has been over the last decade-plus really makes it clear how much trouble we're in.

View attachment 1973069
Totally flawed analysis as does not explain why we were more competitive mid last year even post Logue's ACL than the first 7 rounds of this year.

Might have had something to do with who was coaching those games.

BJ as a bad pick?
Thats Ben Best Tagger In The League Til His Head Got Smashed Jacobs to you.

Jacobs getting injured a key reason behind the decline we mismanaged.

This is not analysis, it’s simplistic venting about stuff that’s been said thousands of times, but with graphics. At midnight. In its own thread like it’s something new. I really think you need to take a break. Have fun with your lovely kid and don’t spend so much time on stuff that is out of your control.

This is not analysis, it’s simplistic venting about stuff that’s been said thousands of times, but with graphics. At midnight. In its own thread like it’s something new. I really think you need to take a break. Have fun with your lovely kid and don’t spend so much time on stuff that is out of your control.

The reality is we have to get Sheez/Wardlaw/Coldy/Zane up to 50 games asap and we're going to be s**t until midway through 2025 at least.

I don't have an important contacts at the club, but the old bloke who sits at the tram stop on Abbotsford Street drinking tawny port has said consistently since Clarko was appointed not to expect anything before mid 2025.

Their strike rate is pretty good too. Maybe they know someone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair it’s a lot better than the hysteria elsewhere atm

Fwiw I found this thread helpful as a newer supporter.
Thanks. Yeah ignore the nuffies attacking me. It's not based on anything to do with the actual content of the post.

Thanks. Yeah ignore the nuffies attacking me. It's not based on anything to do with the actual content of the post.
I hope you don’t take mine as an attack. The post had no new content so nothing to attack, it was just packaged differently and I thought didn’t warrant a new thread. Mostly I’m concerned that you are awake in the middle of the night regurgitating this when it makes no difference to anyone, it’s not good for your mental health.

In the last year. before that he was one of our best players. (Same with Ben Jacobs unfortunately.)

Jy gets smashed around the head every game and never gets protection from the umpires either.

I agree with most of what you're saying, a couple of players unlucky with injury - EVW, maybe Will Walker and Flynn Perez but alot of busts, especially before 2021.
I have every confidence that Jy will work through this slump and come out the other side a better player. However, I’m not so sure of us being able to resolve our obvious structural issues that completely drains the team of any confidence week in, week out. There was not a single improvement this week from last week - from a team performance point of view. We were picked apart at will once more. Every single time we seemed to be putting things together, we managed to allow the most ludicrously simple goal 5 seconds after the ball up in the centre. I have never, ever seen a team get outmarked in contested situations with such monotonous regularity. Even if the ball does come to ground, 95% of the time it falls directly do the opposition - back, midfield and forward.

🤣 I guess these days, I seem to be viewing our team through the opposite of rose-coloured glasses…
Poop-coloured contacts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back