News Marty Frederick signs with Claremont

Remove this Banner Ad

A few of us on here, me included, thought Freddy might get fingered but no bloody way. He had a great debut.

Apologies Marty, unlike Fonzie, I will say “I was wrong“.

Oh God the melts if he gets the nod over Thilthorpe will be glorious
Unfortunately, this won't happen. Thilthorpe has already pretty much been dubbed the next Wayne Carey. David King was all over him on First Crack last night.
Thilthorpe was bloody good for them but is Jacob Koschitzke still eligible? He was probably a shade better IMO.

he was ok, dont get sucked into that as a performance of any note, he was well protected by the defensive group and at the end of the day did what he had to do, i dont recall a one-on-one defensive win which is the type of thing you need to see before making any judgements, the half back sweeper role is the easiest in footy, time will tell, the real question is does he replace bonner because bonner was actually good in his games this year?
:drunk:
You are entitled to your opinion, but just a few observations. Firstly Bonner was AWFUL as a half back. Awful & delistable. Yes he was actually playing great this year, but that's because the coaches finally listened to Bigfooty & played him as a wing/forward.

As for Frederick, yes he had quite a few uncontested possessions, but he showed great composure when put under any opposition pressure, and was flawless in his disposals and decision-making, something in the order of 90% effective, with zero clangers. Both Bergman and Jones have had excellent debuts, but neither can boast that.

Is he a guaranteed 200 gamer blah, blah? No not at all, but he def showed he has the DNA to make it as an AFL player. He still has a way to go to be in our fiirst-22, so, much of the effusiveness here has to do with the low expectations many had, and that he an was unexpected surprise.

An excellent debut, and we can all look forward to seeing his continued development. Keep on the same trajectory, and we wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
Still only 20 I thought he had been at the club for 4 or 5 yrs lol.

Debutant Martin Frederick ran riot in Port Adelaide’s massive win over St Kilda under lights at the Adelaide Oval.

The youngster finished with 23 disposals and five score involvements as Port Adelaide demolished a hapless St Kilda.

Coach Ken Hinkley was delighted with the 20-year-old and believes that his impressive performance is largely down to the hard work put in over the last 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are so many of our players average-to-poor in the 2's then good in the 1s? Seems system related.
SANFL comp is more of a one on one comp, the skills are poorer, and therefore the space doesn't open up as much.

It is no surprise that running machines like DBJ and Marty can look vanilla at SANFL level, but when they step up and are surrounded by better skilled players, who can get the ball to them and/or they get it themselves, they use their running strengths to greater advantage at AFL level than at SANFL.

Jones on the other hand has the strength and power to be a dominate one on one player at SANFL level, so when he steps up to AFL it looks like its business as usual for him.

he was ok, dont get sucked into that as a performance of any note, he was well protected by the defensive group and at the end of the day did what he had to do, i dont recall a one-on-one defensive win which is the type of thing you need to see before making any judgements, the half back sweeper role is the easiest in footy, time will tell, the real question is does he replace bonner because bonner was actually good in his games this year?

lol

i mentioned this is the gameday thread Screenshot_20210426-154115_Kayo Sports.jpg

Thats Frederick (178cm 78kgs) one out with Max King (202cm 88kg) inside 50 with two saints players and houston bearing down. Guess who won that contest?

lol

i mentioned this is the gameday threadView attachment 1112161

Thats Frederick (178cm 78kgs) one out with Max King (202cm 88kg) inside 50 with two saints players and houston bearing down. Guess who won that contest?
Thanks for finding that. I remember he beat King on a one on one contest, but couldn't remember when it was.

Why are so many of our players average-to-poor in the 2's then good in the 1s? Seems system related.

Because the 2’s aren’t 2’s in the proper sense, the SANFL thinks it’s a league that matters for its own sake. So 8 of the 10 teams are trying to win their little premiership, and the league is stacked with reliable plodders who keep the standard weighed down.

Learning to play AFL football in the SANFL is kind of like learning to ice skate in a swimming pool.

Last edited:
Because the 2’s aren’t 2’s in the proper sense, the SANFL thinks it’s a league that matters for its own sake. So 8 of the 10 teams are trying to win their little premiership, and the league is stacked with reliable plodders who keep the standard weighed down.

Learning to play AFL football in the SANFL is kind of like learning to learning to ice skate in a swimming pool.
People probably need to realise the way guys are playing in terms of their role & the system is more important than shooting the lights out and demanding selection.

Ken mentioned that David Rodan presented Manguru Marty Flash Frederick with his guernsey.

Was that shown in the pre-match?

Ken mentioned that David Rodan presented Manguru Marty Flash Frederick with his guernsey.

Was that shown in the pre-match?

No. Was a short video on the clubs instagram story before the match though.

“It’s a dream come true,” Frederick said. “Ever since I started and started following footy and Port Adelaide, I can’t describe it at the moment. “I’m just wanting to celebrate with my family and friends. “Aliir and Majak (Daw) were pioneers so I’ve always looked up to them and it’s even better when I make my debut with a guy like Aliir who is always happy and always gets around me.

“It’s massive for me, my community and my family.”

Frederick’s story is incredible. As a child he and his twin brother Michael Frederick - now playing with Fremantle - had never seen a football until one landed in their backyard.

He came through the Portland Football Club, in Port Adelaide’s heartland as a Port supporter and was part of the club’s Multicultural Next Generation Academy set up from the age of 16 before being claimed as a Category B rookie in the 2018 AFL National Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back