Senior 12. Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

Endurance too. Seemed to struggle in the last qtr
English was pummelled and fatigued early too. Paying off now. Not that English is the benchmark or ceiling, just an interesting comparison.
Ger games in now and he may well be our elite ruckman in a premiership side ala Soldo :p

Funny that recent flags have bern won without elite rucks though...

Just a taste of what’s to come, held his own on one of the competitions best ruckman for a while, he’s still physically underdeveloped but needs games into him sharing the ruck duties as well as playing KP forward... He’s hands are usually very clean and safe normally a wonderful strong mark, so today might have been conditions or nerves related... He’ll come up against certain opposition in upcoming games to go we’re he will be able to showcase more of his talents ruck and forward...

Just a taste of what’s to come, held his own on one of the competitions best ruckman for a while, he’s still physically underdeveloped but needs games into him sharing the ruck duties as well as playing KP forward... He’s hands are usually very clean and safe normally a wonderful strong mark, so today might have been conditions or nerves related... He’ll come up against certain opposition in upcoming games to go we’re he will be able to showcase more of his talents ruck and forward...

You should amend this to "he looks underdeveloped". There was a boundary throw-in ruck contest in today's game where Nic Nat clearly thought "I'm just gonna move this kid off his line and take this", but TDK didn't budge and instead won or halved the contest. I think he's stronger than he looks, and will only get bigger. But I doubt AR will let him get too big, his athleticism is going to be too much of an asset.

You should amend this to "he looks underdeveloped". There was a boundary throw-in ruck contest in today's game where Nic Nat clearly thought "I'm just gonna move this kid off his line and take this", but TDK didn't budge and instead won or halved the contest. I think he's stronger than he looks, and will only get bigger. But I doubt AR will let him get too big, his athleticism is going to be too much of an asset.
Look your probably right that he’s stronger than he looks, he’s still probably at least 5kg light on IMO without as you mentioned not getting too heavy and hindering he’s mobility speed and jumping power, he’s listed at 203cm and 97kg McKay is 204cm 99kg he needs another 2kg Casboult and Kruezer both 200cm 101kg, great if he can add on that 4/5kg more for better strength and power...

TDK can play as a ruck or KPF

In time they will realise why he can play both equally well

I think they know that but unless things change...and they can change...it's ruck first and foremost which is perfectly fine.

The thing with TDK is that even in his poorer games, effort can never be questioned. That's a huge plus for him and for what coaches want to see.

Hard to say whether he'll make for one of the better ruck-men in the league, but he will make for one of the more aggressive ones.

Showed a bit today. Hands will come but made NN take notice. Time for an English style development and Russell strength work in the offseason. Play the boy now.
Undoubtedly needs a couple more games. I have been desperate to get him in for some "blooding". It is apparent however that he is not ready to assume the
mantle full time as yet. If he replaces Pitto any time soon will be relying on Levi for 30-40% chop out, which is not a bad thing at this stage. Ideally another
three games coming home with Pitto still the staple, and possibly a Kreuzer swansong (if retirement is a consideration - absolutely his choice)

I think they know that but unless things change...and they can change...it's ruck first and foremost which is perfectly fine.

The thing with TDK is that even in his poorer games, effort can never be questioned. That's a huge plus for him and for what coaches want to see.

Hard to say whether he'll make for one of the better ruck-men in the league, but he will make for one of the more aggressive ones.

Don't care where he is predominantly used, he will play either role well

I get where you're coming from, but you're also talking about the bottom third or so of the list, so there is some leeway and you want to take the taller talent earlier in that list development cycle.

Looking back, there weren't a whole host of quality mids on the board at that point anyway: Petruccelle, Constable, Murphy, Ballard, Worpel, Baker and McPherson, of which I would have only been interested in Petruccelle for that level of draft value. TDK was a solid pick, the only thing I dispute is people who have reclassified him as a ruck instead of a forward/ruck.
In your opinion, why's TDK dropping the marks? Seems to always get his hands onto the ball, but then pops out.
Must've happened at least 4-5 times.

his hands are his only glaring weakness.

get him some marking practice or wear that glue glove cloke used to use lol

his athleticism and size means he can get in the right position. just needs to stick it!
You get the feeling that when he starts clunking them, he's just not going to stop
The most important thing at this stage of his development is getting to the right spots first and foremost, and he's definitely doing this.
Was painful to see the momentum of the game switch so much when Pittonet was sent back into the ruck.
TDK MUST play every game for the rest of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think his hands are a problem. I think it was a mixture of nerves and fatigue, that will come. I don’t mind him dropping the marks because atleast he was getting to the contest everytime
Yup, important thing for young talls is just getting to the contest

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think his hands are a problem. I think it was a mixture of nerves and fatigue, that will come. I don’t mind him dropping the marks because atleast he was getting to the contest everytime

My 1st thought when he dropped the chest mark in the last - we will trade him for that, ala Josh K. Good players just don't drop these marks. :oops:
Believe it or not, that comment was made at the time of Judd trade, when I lost my nana - yep I know doesn't happen a lot with me, right? :D Let's hope we have learnt something.:thumbsu:

Well if you consider the gaps that are still on our list, such as additional mid field support for Cripps, some small defenders and small forwards, then the priority wasn’t for a tall ruck forward at that time.
So who Rucks when Pittonet and Kreuzer are injured?

Like I said “at that time”.
Agro
The draft is there to plan for the future.
A club get one pick out in eighteen selections.
Great selection and strategy considering our ruck stocks and their age profile at the time. Interesting to note that Geelong apparently offered Carlton a first round selection for Dekoning during the trade period last year.

You get the feeling that when he starts clunking them, he's just not going to stop
The most important thing at this stage of his development is getting to the right spots first and foremost, and he's definitely doing this.
Was painful to see the momentum of the game switch so much when Pittonet was sent back into the ruck.
TDK MUST play every game for the rest of the year
I'm not going to commit to every game, even though there's not a stack of games remaining he still might get tired/sore/etc.

I'm going to be interested to see how he fares against a less athletically gifted opponent. If he can get on top - jumping over, running ahead and outworking, etc - and stark winning consecutive contests (marks or taps) then he might really get on a roll.

Agro
The draft is there to plan for the future.
A club get one pick out in eighteen selections.
Great selection and strategy considering our ruck stocks and their age profile at the time. Interesting to note that Geelong apparently offered Carlton a first round selection for Dekoning during the trade period last year.

Yes and our most pressing requirement “at that time” was additional midfield support for Cripps and additional midfield depth not another ruckman.

Don’t get me wrong I am glad we have TDK.

In your opinion, why's TDK dropping the marks? Seems to always get his hands onto the ball, but then pops out.
Must've happened at least 4-5 times.
Nerves early - fatigue in them ones when he was rucking he used most petrol getting contest to contest after wrestling with NN -- like the one he bobbled on the wing in the last -- just had no energy left by time got to ball ..don't forget these scratch matches wouldn't have much contested stoppage work with 14-16 a side .. he needs a tune of games slowly building his time on ball .. otherwise we kill him .. they not even able to train in a full group ..

Yes and our most pressing requirement “at that time” was additional midfield support for Cripps and additional midfield depth not another ruckman.

Don’t get me wrong I am glad we have TDK.
I'm in the same boat, was pissed off we didn't take another mid, like Constable etc who I believe was still available.

In hindsight though I'm wrapped to ha e TDK, quite a sizable asset.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back