BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

I come onto this thread every Monday to see if there is any news and im still let down. Feels like it will be the case for quite a while

I come onto this thread every Monday to see if there is any news and im still let down. Feels like it will be the case for quite a while
Occasionally there's a little bit of news on the AFL Gaming HuB Facebook group from people who say they've been testing it. Last one I saw had someone saying WW are taking their time because they want it to beat AFL Live 1. There's a lot of posts to sift through to find it though. It may have been deleted although it's not overly interesting anyway.

It's crazy how little hype Tru Blu want to create for this game. They don't even want to acknowledge it's existence.

Occasionally there's a little bit of news on the AFL Gaming HuB Facebook group from people who say they've been testing it. Last one I saw had someone saying WW are taking their time because they want it to beat AFL Live 1. There's a lot of posts to sift through to find it though. It may have been deleted although it's not overly interesting anyway.

It's crazy how little hype Tru Blu want to create for this game. They don't even want to acknowledge it's existence.

Its truly crazy. We all know AFL gaming is a tough market, just seems strange that Tru Blu's marketing strategy is to not promote at all, just throw it out a random day in the off season and hope for the best.
And yeah ive seen that group. About 3-4 weeks ago, someone made a comment that he was going to check it out, that no further changes were going to be made to the game at the end of that week. But then other people say its miles away. No idea what to believe, but i guess it gives hope :) Im not going to lie, ive been smashing the game on my phone just hoping that ill get a console version soon

Setting the targets high... AFL Live is six years old.... just saying :p

It's depressing.

I have a dirty confession to make, I'm playing AFL 2 again. I've never played a complete season and I'm curious what effort WW put into the GF post game. Yes, I have no life. Anyway, reason I mention is all the issues with the game have come flooding back. But the main one is the lack of defence. It's just that same old tap-handball-kick-mark-goal dynamic over again. And the bug - if I can call it that - where your CHB just runs in to the centre square at every bounce is a game killer. I do like that that you have to watch when and how you tackle, but that's about it. Hard to think of anything else which is definitely better than AFL 1. Oh - that it was on PSN. Not having to change discs is probably the main reason I squeeze in the odd game.

Wow, love to be a fly on that wall with them conceding that they can't make a better game they're supposedly the successor at.

So just all silent until WW release their broken mess I'm assuming?
"How to release games" by Tru Blu.
  1. Do not release anything about the game, ignore all social media enquiries and comments. Do not acknowledge the game is under construction in any way, so as to not generate any hype or excitement for the game.
  2. 2 weeks before release date, announce title and release 5 screenshots (3 of actual gameplay). Still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.
  3. 3 days before release date, release 2 minute trailer and 3 more screenshots. Still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.
  4. Release game. Obviously, still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.

"How to release games" by Tru Blu.
  1. Do not release anything about the game, ignore all social media enquiries and comments. Do not acknowledge the game is under construction in any way, so as to not generate any hype or excitement for the game.
  2. 2 weeks before release date, announce title and release 5 screenshots (3 of actual gameplay). Still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.
  3. 3 days before release date, release 2 minute trailer and 3 more screenshots. Still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.
  4. Release game. Obviously, still ignore all social media enquiries and comments.

You forgot:

5. Release a terrible product.

You forgot:

5. Release a terrible product.
Don_Bradman_Cricket_14_Box_Art.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it's a Monday I feel I should point out the irony that dozens of posters on this very board loathed AFL 1 on release. Mainly because of the ball up thing which was a learning curve issue but still. If only we knew that six years later it would remain the gold standard.

In the first few weeks of release few could clear the ball and people were complaining that the game was just a rolling scrum. I tried to find an old thread on this but I notice there are 27 parts to the original AFL 1 discussion (!)- will take a while to dig up the convo when the game was actually released. Possibly between part 10 and part 15.

As it's a Monday I feel I should point out the irony that dozens of posters on this very board loathed AFL 1 on release. Mainly because of the ball up thing which was a learning curve issue but still. If only we knew that six years later it would remain the gold standard.

Yeah, the main complaint was that it was too much of a tackle-fest. But once they released a patch which sped the players up and people got used to it, the game was pretty good.

That's not to say that AFL Live 1 was perfect or fantastic. I don't think anyone would suggest that. But once you did get over that initial learning curve, it was playable in spite of its few quirks and bugs, as opposed to Live 2, which was a broken-down mess which couldn't hope to be salvaged by any post-release patches.

Yeah, the main complaint was that it was too much of a tackle-fest. But once they released a patch which sped the players up and people got used to it, the game was pretty good.

That's not to say that AFL Live 1 was perfect or fantastic. I don't think anyone would suggest that. But once you did get over that initial learning curve, it was playable in spite of its few quirks and bugs, as opposed to Live 2, which was a broken-down mess which couldn't hope to be salvaged by any post-release patches.
Really? I found it easier to play kick-mark type footy on 1 than in 2. 2 I was doing a lot more handballs

I recall when playing AFL Live 1, that there would be about 50-60 ball-ups per match....
In a match with 5-minute quarters.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the game, but I think some hold it up as this perfect specimen, when it really did lack in some areas.
I also have no doubt, given their other games, that Big Ant would have been well and truly capable of improving upon the game in areas such as these (and more) in future iterations, had they been able to.

The thing that craps me the most is that... since AFL Live 2's release, Big Ant have been credited with Don Bradman Cricket 14, Table Top, Dan Bradman Cricket on ps4 and xbox1, rugby league live, a lacrosse game and are currently working on a dirt track game and the next cricket game..... And Wicked Witch have pushed live 2 onto mobile, made a Rugby game that was delayed as hell, and nothing except a picture of a smiling umpire suggests there's something further on the horizon.

I recall when playing AFL Live 1, that there would be about 50-60 ball-ups per match....
In a match with 5-minute quarters.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the game, but I think some hold it up as this perfect specimen, when it really did lack in some areas.
I also have no doubt, given their other games, that Big Ant would have been well and truly capable of improving upon the game in areas such as these (and more) in future iterations, had they been able to.

We certainly don't hold it as the definitive AFL game by a long stretch, it was planned to be the first in a series and as a base we're pretty proud of it - IMO it's the best AFL game ever made, it was made with passion and knowledge of the game.

I go to the EB Stores every week, see AFL Live 1 constantly for sale in the "Best Selling Preowned", which is crazy for a six year old game that has had sequels. I am a die-hard, go every week AFL Fan (regardless of whether we are expected to win or lose or get flogged :( ), and like a lot of people here I lament what could have been.

We certainly don't hold it as the definitive AFL game by a long stretch, it was planned to be the first in a series and as a base we're pretty proud of it - IMO it's the best AFL game ever made, it was made with passion and knowledge of the game.

I go to the EB Stores every week, see AFL Live 1 constantly for sale in the "Best Selling Preowned", which is crazy for a six year old game that has had sequels. I am a die-hard, go every week AFL Fan (regardless of whether we are expected to win or lose or get flogged :( ), and like a lot of people here I lament what could have been.

I'll gladly second you on that Ross. AFL Live 1 had the making of a dynasty for AFL Gamers. Sure you guys weren't gonna get it 100% spot on the first time but the engine you guys had and the actual gameplay is by far the best for an AFL game that I've played.

oh what could have been if we had a 3rd or 4th game in the Big Ant series :( ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back