Round 1 Debutants

Remove this Banner Ad

snrub

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 27, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Laidley has indicated that Liam Anthony, Jacky Z, Silas and Narni Grima are all a chance to debut in round 1. What are the chances of all 4 forcing their way in to the 22?

Laidley has indicated that Liam Anthony, Jacky Z, Silas and Narni Grima are all a chance to debut in round 1. What are the chances of all 4 forcing their way in to the 22?
All in all, with Laids being Laids, slim to none. IMO it would be a step in the right direction, given our substandard finish to 2008. These kids are all goers, desperate to make the grade, and on the flip side it will put a few of the automatic selections of previous seasons on notice to step up......

Based upon the team that played versus Essendon, I would say that Anthony will play, Ziebell has a chance, and Warren will fill the Jones/Edwards role in the forward line.
It looks like Thompson has the edge over Grima at this point, based on his experience.

He has to play Ziebell. He just has to. The kid is talented and desperate to play.

If some shitman like Power gets a game ahead of him, I'll be gutted.

He has to play Ziebell. He just has to. The kid is talented and desperate to play.

If some shitman like Power gets a game ahead of him, I'll be gutted.

Couldnt have said it better myself SLF.

Warren should get a game as well. Busted his buns in the game against Port.

Grima could also fit in. After all it's Melbourne.

And Anthony looks to be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but part of me can see old safe hands Laidley deciding to go with what he knows in Harris and Jones and Power and Rawlings etc.

Then we lose 5 out of our first 8 and he shits it, realising his contract is up and throws caution to the wind, brings in the youngsters and away we go.

But because of those first five losses, we don't make top four, get bundled out of the finals and the whole sad merry go round continues.

I'll say it now and I know its a big call but if Ziebell doesn't play Round 1, our season is rooted.

I'll say it now and I know its a big call but if Ziebell doesn't play Round 1, our season is rooted.

Stupid calls like the one above deserve equally stupid replies (see this one by me) and an even more stupid punishments.

Therefore, if Ziebell doesn't play round one, and you still make the finals, you should be locked in a toilet cubicle at the MCG for the duration of said games.

Yeah, but part of me can see old safe hands Laidley deciding to go with what he knows in Harris and Jones and Power and Rawlings etc.

Then we lose 5 out of our first 8 and he shits it, realising his contract is up and throws caution to the wind, brings in the youngsters and away we go.

But because of those first five losses, we don't make top four, get bundled out of the finals and the whole sad merry go round continues.

Z is the sex but in the cold light of day, Liam Anthony has been more consistent across the pre-season. If it comes down to a choice, Liam should get a run.

Where would Ziebell play if he was selected round 1? Could he perhaps start as a loose man down back and provide a set up role?

Stupid calls like the one above deserve equally stupid replies (see this one by me) and an even more stupid punishments.

Therefore, if Ziebell doesn't play round one, and you still make the finals, you should be locked in a toilet cubicle at the MCG for the duration of said games.

You be missing the nuances of what I'm saying.

I'm not saying is at a stage yet where he alone will be the difference between a successful season or not (though I reckon he will be a gun)

Its about the culture of the club, about what approach we'll take, whether Laidley is ready to take the risks you need for success or just plod along accepting a sixth to eight finish every year.

We need to get some dynamism into our approach and that means for better or worse, the likes of Ziebell have to be given a go.

Its not like he'll be outclassed out there.

Its about Laidley's attitude as much as anything else.

Z is the sex but in the cold light of day, Liam Anthony has been more consistent across the pre-season. If it comes down to a choice, Liam should get a run.

Agree completely Anthony should be in too.

But Ziebell must play. He must. Even if he gets out there and does nothing, then we can say 'Alright son, you've seen senior footy, you know what it takes, get back to the VFL and put in the work'

The encouraging thing is that IIRC, we played Hansen the first two games of 2007.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back