Yarran gone for weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll get 2 or 3 weeks - you can't go about punching blokes in the head.

But it's not as bad as some are saying. Chapman was shaping up to him and trying to rough him up. Definitely not in the Hall v Staker category.

Good thing he probably won't play against Collingwood, otherwise Varcoe would probly injure him.

On the video Chapman pushes etc but doesn't throw a punch like Yarran did. Only one guy lost his cool and that was Yarran. Chapman didn't try to throw full on punch because like all the players he knows cameras will pick anything like that up and you get weeks. Players push and shove all the time these days but never actually throw a full punch. Yarran threw a good punch but he also threw it at someone who wasn't expecting a punch because normally a player pulls back from doing that in this day and age.

It was a cheapie for Yarran who lost his cool so he gets the weeks.

This. End thread.

"Punch"? Yarran didn't even close his fist. He slapped at Chapman's face, and scratched him. Nothing more.
He has 3 stitches above his eye. You don't get that from a scratch. It was just a fast clean strong punch. Quick hands like that and it might not look much on video but the power is there.

He'll get 2 or 3 weeks - you can't go about punching blokes in the head.

But it's not as bad as some are saying. Chapman was shaping up to him and trying to rough him up. Definitely not in the Hall v Staker category.
Was listening on the radio and Gerard whately didn't hold back on how bad it was

When I saw the footage it didn't remotley resemble what he described

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted a link earlier from the AFL website which asked various players who they'd least like to come up against in the boxing ring. Both Chapman (still at Geelong, at the time) and Yarran were mentioned, more than once, and I think Chapman was the consensus answer from the Geelong players that responded. So, while there would be a few players (especially younger players, that might be fairly new to that particular exercise) that wouldn't have much of a clue, I think it's reasonable to assume that both Chapman and Yarran go alright. And, by extension, that they'd probably be quite handy without gloves, as well.
Perhaps it's an indictment on the Geelong pugilists that Chappy was their intra-club Golden Gloves champion, but whenever he enters the AFL Octagon, he gets knocked to the canvas with such ease.

I don't get the people cheering this on, if you want boxing then watch boxing.

It was clearly outside the rules and also what a player would expect on the field.

Not a dog act and it was provoked, however it was the wrong thing to do. 3-2 is fair, we don't want blokes letting loose on the field.

684387-1c5349a4-1c2d-11e4-8adb-938012f29f27.jpg

Conca didn't get a single week off for this.

I'll laugh if Yarran gets more then 2 weeks.

I would like to see Yarran come out and use racism as the reason for the punch. Say he heard Chapman racially abuse him and that is how he reacted, hold a press conference saying he knows violence is the wrong way to go about dealing with it and acknowledging what he did was wrong but that is the first reaction that came to him when Chapman made fun of his race, draw as much public attention as he can. See how the AFL responds to that.

I would like to see Yarran come out and use racism as the reason for the punch. Say he heard Chapman racially abuse him and that is how he reacted, hold a press conference saying he knows violence is the wrong way to go about dealing with it and acknowledging what he did was wrong but that is the first reaction that came to him when Chapman made fun of his race, draw as much public attention as he can. See how the AFL responds to that.
If racist comments were made (have only seen one article in which Chapman preemptively front-footed that whisper), fair enough that that should be taken into account, but if the idea is that Yarran should make up a story involving racism to beat the charge, that would be reprehensible (as it was when Syd Jackson accused Lee Adamson in 1970 to beat a charge after the second semi in 1970).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back