WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

100% correct. They will now be competitive with the top sides. They needed 8-10 for this and 12+ to really challenge. Even more so with Point Cook.

Should be a very interesting season. I expect a few upsets and to have at least 3 competitive games per round. Hopefully 4.
Possibly the top 7 will be competitive which it will be as yarraville and Pc close the gap !
PCC had a great year last year undefeated , how well will they go as we know it’s a huge jump , hopefully they surprise us

Last edited:

Caroline Springs
Werribee Districts
Altona

Those three clear out on top
Spotty
Hoppers
Yarraville
Point cook
Point cook centrals

The bottom 5 could finish in any order.

Hearing a few hoppers blokes now shopping themselves around now Dorgan has gone and Pickess will be at VFL level all year.

They didn't have a reserves depth last year, and I can't see an influx of players coming in with Contessa.

This could be a rebuild year for them.

Rumours Sam Darley heading to Point Cook Bulldogs. Another ex Footscray VFL bloke to align with the group Interesting..

100% correct. They will now be competitive with the top sides. They needed 8-10 for this and 12+ to really challenge. Even more so with Point Cook.

Should be a very interesting season. I expect a few upsets and to have at least 3 competitive games per round. Hopefully 4.
I think you’re right, it will be good once they’re up for the challenge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you just heard? At the pub?
From a bloke?
Must be true then!
I'm guessing when you put a post on you Facebook looking for Senior Men & Women players 38 days before the 1st game, and the league shares it, then I'm guessing you are probably struggling for numbers

Hoppers advertising on Facebook for senior players - are things dire down there at the moment?
I found that strange too when I saw that. Hoppers have always been one of those clubs with players beating down the door to try and get in.

Their juniors are nowhere near as strong as they used to be
The number of new clubs in what used to be their areas has significantly reduced the quality and quantity of players coming through.

Unfortunately, they are the victim's of significant expansion in a smallish geographical area

I think the biggest issue for div 1 clubs now is fringe players just don’t want to play for free in the reserves when they cant get a senior game.
They just go to a lower division on handy money and this is a major factor why the reserves comp has declined in standard and why so many clubs have started struggling with numbers for the reserves.
Hoppers were calling on ex players last season to help fill their reserves team but it’s certainly not a problem only hoppers crossing face, I think most clubs have experienced this in some way.
It’s not so much of an issue at lower grades but really good div 1 reserve players are getting anywhere from $200-$500 per game in div 2 & 3.

I think the biggest issue for div 1 clubs now is fringe players just don’t want to play for free in the reserves when they cant get a senior game.
They just go to a lower division on handy money and this is a major factor why the reserves comp has declined in standard and why so many clubs have started struggling with numbers for the reserves.
Hoppers were calling on ex players last season to help fill their reserves team but it’s certainly not a problem only hoppers crossing face, I think most clubs have experienced this in some way.
It’s not so much of an issue at lower grades but really good div 1 reserve players are getting anywhere from $200-$500 per game in div 2 & 3.
I agree to a certain extent but it’s hoppers juniors is why they find themselves in this position. As mentioned above, they struggle due to their area and more clubs around them now.
They lose reserve players in their mid/late 20s to div two like everyone else, difference being , other clubs have those losses covered due to having strong juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back