Would You Trade Bailey Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he is. I was just mentioning that trading Smith wouldn't make sense when Dunkley (hypothetically speaking) is probably the one surplus to Bulldogs' needs.
Dunkley (at his best) is our best defensive mid. Something we needed last night when Melbourne were running through us at centre clearances. Dunkley was fantastic in that role at the beginning of the year, when he was hitting his kicks as well. Last night his skills were massively off, really poor performance.

Dunkley (at his best) is our best defensive mid. Something we needed last night when Melbourne were running through us at centre clearances. Dunkley was fantastic in that role at the beginning of the year, when he was hitting his kicks as well. Last night his skills were massively off, really poor performance.
I think the problem with Bulldogs is that the talent is heavily centred around the midfield. If the midfield has an off-day, then the whole side collapses because the defence is too weak to hold up. Balance is the difference between Bulldogs and Melbourne.

Maybe you'll disagree, but I think yesterday's centre-bounce problem was more of a coaching issue rather than a personnel issue. Bev continued with an attacking formation and completely ignored a defensive sweeper to stop Petracca and Oliver from walking it out. Sure Libba, Macrae and Dunkley didn't have great games, but there are ways to limit the damage of conceding centre clearances. Not having a defensive sweeper meant conceding clean i50s.

Stringer, Parish, Merrett and Draper did the same thing in round 21 because Bevo set up the same way.

I think taking away from the midfield (which is still elite even without Dunkley) and addressing your biggest weakness is a better long-term strategy than only relying on the midfield to win. That's how I see it, but you're welcome to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the problem with Bulldogs is that the talent is heavily centred around the midfield. If the midfield has an off-day, then the whole side collapses because the defence is too weak to hold up. Balance is the difference between Bulldogs and Melbourne.

Maybe you'll disagree, but I think yesterday's centre-bounce problem was more of a coaching issue rather than a personnel issue. Bev continued with an attacking formation and completely ignored a defensive sweeper to stop Petracca and Oliver from walking it out. Sure Libba, Macrae and Dunkley didn't have great games, but there are ways to limit the damage of conceding centre clearances. Not having a defensive sweeper meant conceding clean i50s.

Stringer, Parish, Merrett and Draper did the same thing in round 21 because Bevo set up the same way.

I think taking away from the midfield (which is still elite even without Dunkley) and addressing your biggest weakness is a better long-term strategy than only relying on the midfield to win. That's how I see it, but you're welcome to disagree.
I agree to an extent.

We have plenty of talent around the park - Keath, Dale, Daniel are all AA calibre in the back half, Williams had a poor game but has been impressive this season, and Duyrea is dependable. Midfield speaks for itself, and in the forward half we have Naughton, Weightman, Bruce returning from a knee injury and Jamarra coming through. At many stages throughout the year we have been strong enough to stand up even when the midfield isn't 100%. I don't think we are quite as dependant on our midfield as some may think, but it's certainly something we need to improve on.

Obviously our backline is rebound-centric, but each player is capable of defending well 1v1. What happens is teams are able to exploit matchups too easily, and smart teams such as Melbourne are very good at it. Bevo has to be better in that regard.

Maybe you'll disagree, but I think yesterday's centre-bounce problem was more of a coaching issue rather than a personnel issue.

This I agree with and have said so in other threads. We clearly attempted to put away Melbourne during the first half of the third (when we were all over them). Our positioning and play was attacking minded, which left Melbourne to essentially stroll through our midfield set up and take advantage of the 6-6-6. I am sure Bevo won't make a similar mistake next year.

Dunkley before doing his shoulder was a top 10 player in the AFL. Was our best performing mid and was a massive reason why we were 6-0. He hasn't been the same since coming back, and hopefully a solid off-season will have him reproducing the same form.

I agree to an extent.

We have plenty of talent around the park - Keath, Dale, Daniel are all AA calibre in the back half, Williams had a poor game but has been impressive this season, and Duyrea is dependable. Midfield speaks for itself, and in the forward half we have Naughton, Weightman, Bruce returning from a knee injury and Jamarra coming through. At many stages throughout the year we have been strong enough to stand up even when the midfield isn't 100%. I don't think we are quite as dependant on our midfield as some may think, but it's certainly something we need to improve on.

Obviously our backline is rebound-centric, but each player is capable of defending well 1v1. What happens is teams are able to exploit matchups too easily, and smart teams such as Melbourne are very good at it. Bevo has to be better in that regard.

This I agree with and have said so in other threads. We clearly attempted to put away Melbourne during the first half of the third (when we were all over them). Our positioning and play was attacking minded, which left Melbourne to essentially stroll through our midfield set up and take advantage of the 6-6-6. I am sure Bevo won't make a similar mistake next year.

Dunkley before doing his shoulder was a top 10 player in the AFL. Was our best performing mid and was a massive reason why we were 6-0. He hasn't been the same since coming back, and hopefully a solid off-season will have him reproducing the same form.
Dogs are the second best side in the comp so this is all relative, but I'm looking at what Bulldogs could do to take their game to the next level.

Dunkley is talented without a doubt and he'll be great again with some continuity. You guys have 6 guys that could start in most team's first-choice midfield rotation. Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Smith and Treloar is a stacked midfield group. Not even Melbourne's midfield is that deep.
Though it is a great midfield, I believe your midfield is capable of performing to the same level without one of Libba, Dunkley, Smith or Treloar. I chose Dunkley by process of elimination because that's the most believable scenario (even though he is about to sign an extension).

Obviously this is all hypothetical given no A-grade KPD or ruckman requested for a trade yet. It'll be interesting to see what they do over the off-season.

Wowee, what a strange thread.
Smith's upside is ridiculously good. We are only witnessing glimpses of it every now and again but just imagine what he will be doing in another years time.
He just managed 24 disposals and 2 goals in this years finals series. Needs another preseason to bulk right up and I think we will be looking at a top 5 player in the game in the not too distant future.

Dogs are the second best side in the comp so this is all relative, but I'm looking at what Bulldogs could do to take their game to the next level.

Dunkley is talented without a doubt and he'll be great again with some continuity. You guys have 6 guys that could start in most team's first-choice midfield rotation. Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Smith and Treloar is a stacked midfield group. Not even Melbourne's midfield is that deep.
Though it is a great midfield, I believe your midfield is capable of performing to the same level without one of Libba, Dunkley, Smith or Treloar. I chose Dunkley by process of elimination because that's the most believable scenario (even though he is about to sign an extension).

Obviously this is all hypothetical given no A-grade KPD or ruckman requested for a trade yet. It'll be interesting to see what they do over the off-season.
Fair enough. Suppose it's subjective, but I reckon we have to at least wait until halfway through next year to determine whether Dunkley is expendable.

I’d say North would be covering the salary mostly too though in that 2 years. Maybe North add another 2nd rounder but I don’t see what gets lost in losing Bailey that’s as significant as getting a top 3 ruck in the comp during premiership mode
This is worse than the OP

A glorious read. Waiting for the follow-ups like: "would your trade Luke Jackson?", "Would you trade Connor Rozee?", "Would you trade Sam Walsh?" etc. Genuinely baffling idea, just baffling.

I appreciate threads like these.

It makes my trade and draft ideas look sane and sober by comparison.

Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would You Trade Bailey Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back