Would You Trade Bailey Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great finals series but even then I think he's massively overrated still. He has a long way to go.

Not a team in the comp who wouldn't want him, BUT there was a bit of a narrative starting before last night that he was a genuine bona-fide A grade mid, which I think is too early. That's the reason I think he is being overrated.

His kicking is hit and miss. Sure he can hit them from 55 like v Port, but he still has as many shanks as he does nailing a kick - and even v Brisbane one of his goals was actually a floater from 30 that almost got touched. A goal doesn't automatically equal good kick. His decision making is also poor. Note his shot at goal to end the round 23 match, more or less cost them a shot at top 4 and the opportunity to have a week off.

Just on that, it's not a criticism, he's only a 3rd year player. He shouldn't be expected to be a bona-fide complete player yet. Just that I don't think the Dogs get on the trade table what he's potentially able to produce down the track - his best is yet to come.

To answer the question, no they shouldn't trade him. He's a better age for JUH, Darcy, Naughton, Weightman - trading him now would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. They're in the enviable position of having a win now opportunity while having the draft picks of a bottom side.

They need to draft more mids - Libba 29, Treloar 28, Macrae & Hunter 27, Bont 26, Dunkley 25 by start of 2022. Not old by any means but they need to start planning the list for when they're lead by Darcy, JUH & Naughton. Come 2026 the young mids from 2021 and 2022 drafts will be 22-23, ready to take over and Libba, Hunter, Treloar will be gone, with Macrae, Bont & Dunkley 30+.
So the last thing they want to do is trade their best young mid, when the likes of Lipinski want out and West, Richards aren't guaranteed to hang around.

Overall, their biggest issue right now is height, they have a lot of quite short players around the ground and English impacts the game more as a player shorter than his height. But it's not enough that they should sacrifice a Geelong type sustained run by trading out their only good young mid, even if he isn't a complete player right now.

Problem is Dunkley wants to stay now, and his value is low after getting injured the past 2 years. He seems to be surplus to needs though, unless he can recapture his form from rounds 1-6.
I know he wants to stay, but will he if Bulldogs approach him about a move?

The challenge for the club is that he's probably the only one with value that makes sense to move on (given West can replace him). Bulldogs know they can't continue to ignore the ruck/KPD situation, but how do they address that?

Though you won't get two firsts, you can still get a first rounder which should be enough to trade for a solid KPD. Dogs are an attractive destination at the moment so they should have no problem finding someone.

St Kilda, Essendon and Richmond will probably give a first rounder.

Macrae, Libba, Bont and Dunkley are our inside mids. So what you do is you compliment those by shifting a player who can also play outside like ummm Bailey Smith. Baz will be a full time mid very soon
??

You shift an outside player to the wing/high half forward when you have a midfield full of inside guys?

Wouldn't you want him right there with them in the middle??

Haha Smith is playing as a wing as he is the other inside mids aren’t very good wingers. So he plays out of position as Macrae, treloar, Dunkley, libba and Bont aren’t as good on a wing as him. And still he puts in a very good year.

It’s only a matter of time before he moves into the centre square and fully shows off his talents

Sorry, but since when is 185cm, 86kg at 20 years of age considered small?

And why are you labelling him as soft? And not powerful? Have you actually ever seen a game that he plays? Burst mid with immense power and strength away from stoppages. It’s his 1 wood. The fact he’s a brilliant runner and a long kick of the footy is a further testament to his versatility and ability to adapt to a wing role to help fit in our other mids in the centre square.

I guess the GC are screwed with the tiny physique of Matt Rowell and Touk Miller. Both sub 180cm and 80~kg. Shame. Thought they were okay coming out of the middle til today.

If you’re going to troll this terribly, post it in the bay.

Sorry, but since when is 185cm, 86kg at 20 years of age considered small?

And why are you labelling him as soft? And not powerful? Have you actually ever seen a game that he plays? Burst mid with immense power and strength away from stoppages. It’s his 1 wood. The fact he’s a brilliant runner and a long kick of the footy is a further testament to his versatility and ability to adapt to a wing role to help fit in our other mids in the centre square.

I guess the GC are screwed with the tiny physique of Matt Rowell and Touk Miller. Both sub 180cm and 80~kg. Shame. Thought they were okay coming out of the middle til today.

If you’re going to troll this terribly, post it in the bay.
186?

Jack Ziebell is 188 isn't he?

6dda438e7ba6c903370f01aceb736fcd.jpeg

And Mitch Wallis is listed as 185!

images (1) (1).jpeg

Last edited:
186?

Jack Ziebell is 188 isn't he?

View attachment 1246511
Keep trying to justify your piss ant argument, chief 😂 He’s 185cm and that’s not what I’d consider ‘tiny’. But sure, this poorly screengrabbed image of him and another AFL player moving vaguely near each other is unarguable evidence! Also good job trying to edit in other images after you posted and got a reply. Uppercut incoming!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would 'plenty' get a Ruckman and a key defender in return though?

It's not about sacking him because he's no good - it's about filling glaring gaps that the Bulldogs have.

They can pick up a ruck and key defender without having to trade a 20 year old. Aren't they going to pick a ruck/defender up FS this year?

Maybe they should trade Jamarra for Tom Hickey.

Tbh I see a few Brandon Ellis similarities early days who dominated early with zero attention. This thread might look dumb but I’ll watch with some interest either way

Keep trying to justify your piss ant argument, chief 😂 He’s 185cm and that’s not what I’d consider ‘tiny’. But sure, this poorly screengrabbed image of him and another AFL player moving vaguely near each other is unarguable evidence!
??

You said 186. I didn't say tiny. I didn't say he was soft.
You're all over the place man.

If Mitch Wallis is 185, then there is no chance Smith is 185.

Dunkley is the one I would be looking at trading if I'm the dogs, see if they can get a quality ruck and or key defender. Smith is already a good player and as much as I think he's a campaigner, he'll have a great career.

No I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith. He has the power to burst away from stoppages like Petracca and Danger. Give him a few years.

If I were Bulldogs, I'd find an A-grade ruckman or KPD and use Dunkley as the trade-bait. He has decent value and I really don't think they need him.
Dunkley is in talks about signing a contract extension

I don't think Smith has all that much upside.

In terms of limitations, he's small, and an outside player. He's not very creative, and pretty much kicks long down the line almost every time he gets it.
For an AFL footballer, he's very timid when the heat is on.

Upside is he's super fit, and an amazing runner. At this stage, probably due to very uncontested style he plays, he's very durable. I think he's only missed one game hasn't he?
He's young.

Right now, I'd say he's a handy player, that adds value as the 4th - 5th best mid. He gets little attention from the opposition as they are focussing on Bont, Macrae, Liberace, Dunkley, Treloar, Hunter etc.

The question is, how much better will he become?

He won't get bigger. He won't get faster. Very rare for a timid outside player to become a tough inside player. His poise will improve with experience, but this will coincide with the opposition putting more work into him.

When you looks at the real good mids, they all have a physical edge on their opponents - and they are can rip apart games by winning contests.

Is that something that Smith will ever be able to do? And therefore, will he ever be much more than Ok-good?

One thing is for certain, he'd have currency right now.

So should the Bulldogs sell high? Perhaps use the currency to get a ruckman in, and maybe a Luke Dunstan type cheapie to help Libba with the heavy lifting?

Um what? I feel like the only thing you got right was his decision making is a bit iffy. Far from timid and far from an outside player. His natural position is onball. We have been using him in different roles to fit the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would You Trade Bailey Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back