Prediction Will we make finals in 2023? AFL responds with "...not on my watch"

Will we make finals in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

if we are going to challenge for the 8 we need to be beating the Saints and Lions in the next few weeks. must win ALL our home games! the Collingwood game is really going to hurt us come round 24....

Lose to Saints and we can just about kiss the season goodbye. Are the Saints really any good? It just feels to me they're punching way above their weight , where they sit on the ladder.
At this stage there are five standout teams: Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane and Port.

Then there are three absolutely useless teams: North, Hawks and West Coast.

The remaining ten teams (including us) are all varying shades of mediocre and will only be making up the numbers in September.

At this stage there are five standout teams: Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane and Port.

The remaining ten teams (including us) are all varying shades of mediocre and will only be making up the numbers in September.

Saints are more of a standout team than Port. At least they have a percentage fitting of a top four team, and a mean as **** defense - which tends to bode well for any premiership run.

Saints are more of a standout team than Port. At least they have a percentage fitting of a top four team, and a mean as * defense - which tends to bode well for any premiership run.
They shit the bed big time against Port.

Have they beaten anyone good yet?

They s**t the bed big time against Port.

Have they beaten anyone good yet?
Beat the Dogs and Bombers relatively convincingly. Only just lost to Pies and Port

If Port's up there, Saints deserve to be

I'd say there's a bunch of teams competing for the last two spots in the eight (Bombers, Swans, us, Bulldogs, maybe Carlton etc)

Lose to Saints and we can just about kiss the season goodbye. Are the Saints really any good? It just feels to me they're punching way above their weight , where they sit on the ladder.
Watching the saints last quarter against powaa and how every forward 50 entry was horrible they seem like they aren't that good to me unless that game was an anomaly. That doesn't seem to be the case after that awful game last week against North. I think they are very good defensively but have a lot of trouble scoring.

Last edited:

I agree with all this.

Only thing would be Victorian teams can sometimes get on a run come finals being able to play away finals at home. In terms of the ladder for the minor round you have basically nailed it.

Port isn't a standout team. They haven't beaten any quality and won't away from Adelaide oval. Look at their wins. Beat Brisbane round 1 who put in one of their worst performances in the past 5 years. That was equivalent to us beating Geelong at home round 1 a couple of seasons ago. Round 2 they get pumped by pies. Round three they get pumped by us last quarter. Round 4 they beat swans who don't have a decent midfield or any real forward options. They also have a ravaged backline which I can't quite remember if that happened in this game or later. Granted that was a good win up there but they were very lucky with the swans choking late.

Round 5 they beat the Bulldogs in a wet weather slog at home. A win but the Bulldogs were off that night and the conditions suited powaa. Round 6 they beat up on the rabble that is wce. Round 7 they beat saints that are missing numerous players and were ripe for the taking. Combine that with the saints playing terribly that night. Round 8 they barely get over the line against Essendon who let's be honest are pretty average. Powaa are average and will get found out big time later in the year and in finals if they make it. The AFL has granted them a soft draw and they have been lucky to date with which teams they played at certain times. Their supporters will turn on them when they are exposed later when it matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port isn't a standout team. They haven't beaten any quality and won't away from Adelaide oval. Look at their wins. Beat Brisbane round 1 who put in one of their worst performances in the past 5 years. That was equivalent to us beating Geelong at home round 1 a couple of seasons ago. Round 2 they get pumped by pies. Round three they get pumped by us last quarter. Round 4 they beat swans who don't have a decent midfield or any real forward options. They also have a ravaged backline which I can't quite remember if that happened in this game or later. Granted that was a good win up there but they were very lucky with the swans choking late.

Round 5 they beat the Bulldogs in a wet weather slog at home. A win but the Bulldogs were off that night and the conditions suited powaa. Round 6 they beat up on the rabble that is wce. Round 7 they beat saints that are missing numerous players and were ripe for the taking. Combine that with the saints playing terribly that night. Round 8 they barely get over the line against Essendon who let's be honest are pretty average. Powaa are average and will get found out big time later in the year and in finals if they make it.

There are not many quality teams though. I think they are a big chance to finish top 4 given their draw and anything is possible from there.

They have to finish top four though. They won't be able to win three finals including a GF away from home. Brisbane and Port need a top four finish.

Round 5 they beat the Bulldogs in a wet weather slog at home. A win but the Bulldogs were off that night and the conditions suited powaa. Round 6 they beat up on the rabble that is wce. Round 7 they beat saints that are missing numerous players and were ripe for the taking. Combine that with the saints playing terribly that night. Round 8 they barely get over the line against Essendon who let's be honest are pretty average. Powaa are average and will get found out big time later in the year and in finals if they make it. The AFL has granted them a soft draw and they have been lucky to date with which teams they played at certain times. Their supporters will turn on them when they are exposed later when it matters.

You only beat what’s in front of you. Port travelling very nicely at the minute and are a lock for finals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You only beat what’s in front of you. Port travelling very nicely at the minute and are a lock for finals

They will make finals but they will most likely be out first week. Their supporters actually think they are in with a chance this year. Speaking of powaa there's rumours that Bergman might be looking around elsewhere. He's been one of their best this year. I wouldn't mind the crows speaking to him if powaa won't pay him or unless he's made his mind up that he's going back to Victoria. He's a good player.

Last edited:

Port finishing a likely 5th to 8th will make the Kenny decision interesting...

Port finishing a likely 5th to 8th will make the Kenny decision interesting...
I think they may have boxed themself in to extend Kenny. Tredrea speaking out against him might actually have the reverse effect of powaa keeping him on.

I think they may have boxed themself in to extend Kenny. Tredrea speaking out against him might actually have the reverse effect of powaa keeping him on.
Port having a semi-succesful year is perfect for us...

Port and Crows are both in with a Finals chance. If Port can make the Finals then so can we, if judging by the last 8 games. We have 1 less win than Port, but a better score percentage.

They will make finals but they will most likely be out first week. Their supporters actually think they are in with a chance this year. Speaking of powaa there's rumours that Bergman might be looking around elsewhere. He's been one of their best this year. I wouldn't mind the crows speaking to him if powaa won't pay him or unless he's made his mind up that he's going back to Victoria. He's a good player.

History strongly suggests good players don’t go from Port to Crows or Crows to Port

Suggest he heads to VIC if he goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Will we make finals in 2023? AFL responds with "...not on my watch"

Back