Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Casson;190[B said:
34869]The back-ended contract is a bonus for any team that wants him and has room in the cap for the next two years to make it possible.[/B] Brisbane need the salary cap room, which basically means they need rid of him, and if they need players instead of draft picks, well we've already heard about more than a few candidates.

I don't know exactly where we're at with our salary cap, but if we're pushing the maximum already we've made a hack job of it considering the age of the list. It sounds like Brisbane need rid of him so badly that we can probably give them a pretty average player and still make them pay some of his contract in the process, since most teams who would bid for him may be turned off by the contractual obligations.

How about we give them back Dalziell? :D

Agree with the bolded part.

Eagles should make a play for Sherman.

We take over his contract, renegotiate a front ended deal over 3 years and Lions get our pick 45. We basically purchase a pick / player upgrade.

Eagles are replacing 3-4 year players with developing rookies, have two big names going on the vets list next season and have a young list, we have cap space to use now and we should use it.:thumbsu:

Here is one out of left field what would people think about picking up Palmer from Freo???

I heard his ego is bruised and Channel ten said he maybe put on the trade table.

Thoughts?

Here is one out of left field what would people think about picking up Palmer from Freo???

I heard his ego is bruised and Channel ten said he maybe put on the trade table.

Thoughts?

Exactly what we need, another midfielder who can't kick :rolleyes:

Get Sherman for sure. Pick 30ish should do the trick. Youngish players with the potential to improve rapidly, who are currently at their lowest value should definitely be targetted. That way you still continue down the youth path with your top picks, whilst accumulating players that fit in with the main age group as well as having games under their belt and can make an immediate impact.

Get Sherman for sure. Pick 30ish should do the trick. Youngish players with the potential to improve rapidly, who are currently at their lowest value should definitely be targetted. That way you still continue down the youth path with your top picks, whilst accumulating players that fit in with the main age group as well as having games under their belt and can make an immediate impact.

If we wanted Sherman we could squeeze them, dependent upon other interest in the market place.

Is contracted for 800k over the next two years and they are trying to free up some cash to play guys that are actually getting a game.

Tell them to pay 200k towards his contract which is fair given they only paid him 100k the first year as it was back ended and give them pick 44.

Would help them keep Drummond and possibly Brennan and not ask Power and Black to take a pay cut.

If we wanted Sherman we could squeeze them, dependent upon other interest in the market place.

Is contracted for 800k over the next two years and they are trying to free up some cash to play guys that are actually getting a game.

Tell them to pay 200k towards his contract which is fair given they only paid him 100k the first year as it was back ended and give them pick 44.

Would help them keep Drummond and possibly Brennan and not ask Power and Black to take a pay cut.

Other sides would offer a better pick than 44 if the Lions kept 25% of his wage under their cap. Would cost us pick 28 or a low pick in the 30's if we can get that from another trade.

Please no, do not want sherman his kicking is very average and goes missing for large chunks of games, hes just a average player that can run fast still cant believe brisbane are paying him that much. would rather take speedy player out of the draft..

His field kicking is apparently not that great, which is something we can ill afford to add to that already deficient area.

If we can get him cheap, i.e. squeeze Brisbane for him then I would be somewhat interested but giving up our 2nd rounder might be too much, esp given his salary taken onboard.

His field kicking is apparently not that great, which is something we can ill afford to add to that already deficient area.

If we can get him cheap, i.e. squeeze Brisbane for him then I would be somewhat interested but giving up our 2nd rounder might be too much, esp given his salary taken onboard.

Exactly.

If we get another pick in the 30's maybe use that but not one of our first 3 picks.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please no, do not want sherman his kicking is very average and goes missing for large chunks of games, hes just a average player that can run fast still cant believe brisbane are paying him that much. would rather take speedy player out of the draft..

Sherman had a very good 2009, thats why he got $900k over 3 years. I'm not across the board with respect to salaries but I'm guessing Rosa would be on a similiar amount (if not more?) and I'd definately prefer Sherman to Rosa.

We don't need yet another 18yr old and I doubt we would get something of awesome value anyway at the pick that we would lose. Sherman is still only 23/24 and would slot in very nicely. His kicking also isn't that bad but his strengths are what we need, a fast winger/mid with goal kicking potential.

If Brisbane pay a % of his salary we should be all over it for a second rounder.

Sherman had a very good 2009, thats why he got $900k over 3 years. I'm not across the board with respect to salaries but I'm guessing Rosa would be on a similiar amount (if not more?) and I'd definately prefer Sherman to Rosa.

We don't need yet another 18yr old and I doubt we would get something of awesome value anyway at the pick that we would lose. Sherman is still only 23/24 and would slot in very nicely. His kicking also isn't that bad but his strengths are what we need, a fast winger/mid with goal kicking potential.

If Brisbane pay a % of his salary we should be all over it for a second rounder.

Probably get Karouker for less $ and about the same draft pick, he has better foot skills though is 3/4 years older, Jon could also play on the wing is the same age.

No way Sherman is worth 800k+ for 2 years... Brissy would have to throw a pick in for someone to pick that up. Ridiculous to think they get a 2nd for him. They need the salary cap relief, and why should any other team do them that favour? We'll give em our 2nd plus a pick over 50 for their first and Sherman - effectively buying an upgrade of a pick.

Probably get Karouker for less $ and about the same draft pick, he has better foot skills though is 3/4 years older, Jon could also play on the wing is the same age.

For that reason alone Sherman > AK for mine.

We would obviously look at getting Brisbane to pay some of Sherman's contract. I don't think we're under any significant salary cap pressure so the extra $50k-$100k isn't exactly hurting us.

Sherman could play in the next Eagles premiership, not so sure about AK. I also think Sherman has more upside. People have short memories, his 2009 was pretty damn good.

We would obviously look at getting Brisbane to pay some of Sherman's contract. I don't think we're under any significant salary cap pressure so the extra $50k-$100k isn't exactly hurting us.

I think we probably are.

After all, salary cap pressure is what led to Stenglein being held on our list until after the national draft last year so his salary would come under this years cap as opposed to last years.

I think we probably are.

After all, salary cap pressure is what led to Stenglein being held on our list until after the national draft last year so his salary would come under this years cap as opposed to last years.

I don't really understand the whole salary cap system... Don't all clubs fill their entire salary cap? Wooden spooners should be using all the money just like premiership clubs. Thats why players don't get long contracts only 2-3 years because pay is always being negotiated. Essentially our young players are getting more even money as there aren't many stars lopsiding the cap.

If any of this is wrong, i'd like to be corrected

I think we probably are.

I would be very surprised if next season we are under cap pressure.

We are shipping out several 23 year olds in McKinely, Spangher and possibly Rosa and replacing them with developing rookies.

Also moving on likes of B Jones, Lynch and Hansen though Hansen may get a payout.

We get to elevate two bigger earners to the vets list next season so only half their salaries count and we also have a very young squad.

Sure Kerr is on decent coin but after him Cox and Glass there is a big gap in quality and experience.

I think we probably are.

Looking at our list it would blow my mind if we were under salary cap pressure. :eek:

i'd say we'd be on the lower part of that remaining 7.5%, surely.

considering we're getting rid of a few 23 year olds also.

I think the confirmation that Brennan is leaving throws a spanner in the works of prying Sherman off Brisbane's hands. Without knowing how much coin Brennan will free up (I'd suspect it's not particularly handsome if he's looking for a payrise), it might tip the scale in favour of hanging onto Sherman rather than giving him to another club in a firesale.

I don't think Brisbane could part with Sherman without having to pay some of his salary at the recipient club, so they might see it in their best interests just to keep him if they can free up enough dollars in the salary cap, with all the other players speculated to be leaving.

It also sounds like Fev is increasingly likely to be cut, which you'd think would give them a little bit more wiggle room. As I said, I don't know what the Lions books are really like, but they'd certainly prefer to hang onto a player rather than pay another club to take him off their hands.

I think the confirmation that Brennan is leaving throws a spanner in the works of prying Sherman off Brisbane's hands. Without knowing how much coin Brennan will free up (I'd suspect it's not particularly handsome if he's looking for a payrise), it might tip the scale in favour of hanging onto Sherman rather than giving him to another club in a firesale.

I don't think Brisbane could part with Sherman without having to pay some of his salary at the recipient club, so they might see it in their best interests just to keep him if they can free up enough dollars in the salary cap, with all the other players speculated to be leaving.

It also sounds like Fev is increasingly likely to be cut, which you'd think would give them a little bit more wiggle room. As I said, I don't know what the Lions books are really like, but they'd certainly prefer to hang onto a player rather than pay another club to take him off their hands.

You don't?

How dare you come on to a respected site like BF and share opinions without the full set of facts.

This is outrageous!

Mods, ban this clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back