What is the "Buckley zone defence"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 5, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Apologies if this has been explained elsewhere but I can't find it.
I read a lot of people complaining about our defensive "zone". The 2 matches I've been to this year I've sat at ground level and haven't had an overview of thr field to see what they actually do.
I hope it's not the rubbish I witnessed at a Fremantle game where Lyon has every player standing in rows 10 metres apart waiting for the opposition to come forward.
Thankyou.

Basically no player actually picks up a man, they protect space. So when we have the opposition coming towards their forward 50, our backman move up the ground to protect territory, they dont actually pick up a man. Hence when it all goes to crap like yesterday, you have 2 maybe 3 opposition players loose inside their F50 running into open goals uncontested. Thats what happened to us 7 times yesterday, and Buckley still persisted with it. You think after 3 goals get scored from guys standing in the goal square, you would go man on man. Basically with this game plan, you are hoping the opposition turn it over so we can get them on the turnover and score. Problem is we turn it over just about more then anyother side. We had 55 inside 50's yesterday for 7 goals, so when we do get it in there we hardly score anyway. Hence why we all hate Buckleys game plan.

Ok. :)
I notice the swans have a player like Rampe drop back so this can't happen.

Dead eye Didak, thanks for that. That's what I was dreading it may be. It's a horrible system for stopping kick outs as well as a precision kicker can find the gaps in the zones.

Is it new this year, or have the pies been going with it previously?
I must admit from ground level the defence just looks like a mass of 16 players but I'm sure from up in the ponsford stand you guys would have a perfect view of it.

Most clubs use some form of the zone defense.

Some rely on their key position defenders in more of a one on one contest, and some, like us it seems, rely on a team zone that helps out it's defense at every opportunity.

The problem with any zone defense, in any sport, is it relies on a total buy in from that group of players on the field/court.

So if the players are even slightly off, for any given reason, then it all falls apart, as we have seen this year.

Change in personnel, fitness, intelligence of players, etc etc can also be factors but quite simply if the effort is even a few % off, and it was yesterday, especially after half time, then the zone defense falls apart.

It's not a "Buckley only thing", most teams use some form of it, and for a lot it's extremely effective.

I do ask however what our defensive coaches (namely Ben Hart and his group) teach our players, because at times even they look lost when it comes to implementing what really is a simple defensive system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most clubs use some form of the zone defense.

Some rely on their key position defenders in more of a one on one contest, and some, like us it seems, rely on a team zone that helps out it's defense at every opportunity.

The problem with any zone defense, in any sport, is it relies on a total buy in from that group of players on the field/court.

So if the players are even slightly off, for any given reason, then it all falls apart, as we have seen this year.

Change in personnel, fitness, intelligence of players, etc etc can also be factors but quite simply if the effort is even a few % off, and it was yesterday, especially after half time, then the zone defense falls apart.

It's not a "Buckley only thing", most teams use some form of it, and for a lot it's extremely effective.

I do ask however what our defensive coaches (namely Ben Hart and his group) teach our players, because at times even they look lost when it comes to implementing what really is a simple defensive system.

Our Assistant Coaches are as useless or even more then Bucks

The hallmark of our game plan for 3 years has pretty much been. Get the ball into our forward 50. Defenders push up to the wings and beyond. 30 blokes in our forward 50. No room to take a mark or space to do anything at ground level. When the opposition gets the ball and clears the wing, get in position for a centre bounce, because a goal is about to ensue.

The pressing up works if the opposition don't flood all their players back, but if they do our forward 50 is too crowded whilst theirs is completely open. We need 3 times as many forward 50 entries in order to score the same number of goals.

The hallmark of our game plan for 3 years has pretty much been. Get the ball into our forward 50. Defenders push up to the wings and beyond. 30 blokes in our forward 50. No room to take a mark or space to do anything at ground level. When the opposition gets the ball and clears the wing, get in position for a centre bounce, because a goal is about to ensue.

The pressing up works if the opposition don't flood all their players back, but if they do our forward 50 is too crowded whilst theirs is completely open. We need 3 times as many forward 50 entries in order to score the same number of goals.

And and Descent Coaches work that out Quickly

It's a defensive strategy put in place by Nathan recently. Contrary to popular belief it's not actually named after the coach but by the chance it gives us of winning.
And when they're one and the same...

I will add to what mattys123 said and go further and say that all teams in fact use some form of team zone defence and no team plays man on man. The structure actually works when the team is up and about, see the games versus Cats and Dogs for very recent examples. It fell apart yesterday because collectively they totally dropped the bundle.

Our results would likely be even worse on these occasions if we were man on man, especially against a fast team like Port. Their midfielders would have just streamed into our forward line into all the space and completely carved us up.

These days you have to employ a zone defence or you're screwed. The problem is that we have to make it work.

Btw, yesterday we made it look bad early by turning the ball over by both hand and foot when we were all streaming forward. They were zone breaking clangers of worst kind. Unfortunately, later in the game we appeared to also give up which didn't help.

I will add to what mattys123 said and go further and say that all teams in fact use some form of team zone defence and no team plays man on man. The structure actually works when the team is up and about, see the games versus Cats and Dogs for very recent examples. It fell apart yesterday because collectively they totally dropped the bundle.

Our results would likely be even worse on these occasions if we were man on man, especially against a fast team like Port. Their midfielders would have just streamed into our forward line into all the space and completely carved us up.

These days you have to employ a zone defence or you're screwed. The problem is that we have to make it work.

Btw, yesterday we made it look bad early by turning the ball over by both hand and foot when we were all streaming forward. They were zone breaking clangers of worst kind. Unfortunately, later in the game we appeared to also give up which didn't help.
Well said in the last paragraph the zone fails when you turn over the ball. We bust our balls when we are going forward and when we turn it over we have worked too far up and we look spent getting back into this "defensive zone" setup. Once you do this on repeat we are burning all this energy and the players knackered themselves. It was also quite evident that we were playing dry footy instead of wet weather.

For the most part the goals "over the back" against Port were goals scored from turnovers, i.e. when the zone was not set up. The goals Port scored from kickouts after a Collingwood behind are the really worrisome ones.

Our Assistant Coaches are as useless or even more then Bucks
**** Dave, this really gets on my nerves. You keep saying shitlike this without any foundation. What proof do you actually have apart from sweet **** all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back