West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think West Coast getting priority access to their academy players like Collard without other clubs gazzumping them (like St Kilda) could be a form of draft assistance the AFL could consider giving The Eagles next year and beyond (without necessarily affecting other clubs)

If any club spends more than two season bottom 3 they should get access to their academy kids and two extra rookie spots.

That's it for assistance.

Maybe also the wooden spoon side is guaranteed pick 19 and not a 2nd round pick 19 that slides 10 spots. At least then the wooden spoon 2nd pick gets protected from all the compo and priority picks.

Same rules for everyone on this. No AFL playing favourites of the week.

I don't think that is too much to ask for and it really doesn't adversely affect other teams much if at all.

Last edited:
Good point (maybe for Curtin too who didn't look thrilled being drafted to Adelaide, but he wasn't in the Eagles academy)

The Eagles very rarely publicly complain (least as far as I know) about so called injustices to their club, but I find it telling they were absolutely filthy they couldn't pick up Collard (and credit to their recruiting boss for mentioning in the media)

Both The Eagles and Freo feel (rightfully aggrieved) they cannot get access to their academy picks until after pick 40 but the Suns were able to cash in on 4 top 2 prospects by simply sacrificing their pick 5 this year and doing pick swaps with other clubs.

The Eagles should have been allowed to match The Saints pick on Collard with say a future 2nd round pick (doesn't have to be in 2024 either, if they don't have one, 2025 second rounder)

The AFL needs to try be more flexible to Southern/Western State clubs and their academy kids and the currently flawed system that sees clubs like Freo miss out on talent like Jesse Motlop despite the Dockers spending several years developing him in their academy..
If that offer North made was reported correctly (the three first rounders,) then the Eagle could have picked up Curtin, Hardeman and Collard. Three young, talented WA kids they could have built a dynasty around over the next decade. (We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us imo.)

They have Reid, who everyone raves about but who appears to lack real endurance, instead of three players who can cover all of the ground that Reid can.

If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?

Last edited:
If any club spends more than two season bottom 3 they should get access to their academy kids and two extra rookie spots.

I think this is actually a really fair and reasonable option. Maybe even four or more rookie spots and associated cap space (depending on their ability to accommodate extra players.)

Maybe also the wooden spoon side gets an end of 1st round pick 19 and not a 2nd round pick 19. Then at least then their 2nd pick gets protected from all the compo and priority picks.

I don't think that is too much to ask for and it really doesn't adversely affect other teams much if at all.
Agreed, want anything that's done to be a blanket change not just WC.

If that offer North made was reported correctly (the three first rounders,) then the Eagle could have picked up Curtin, Hardeman and Collard. Three young, talented WA kids they could have built a dynasty around over the next decade. (We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us imo.)

They have Reid, who everyone raves about but who appears to lack real endurance, instead of three players who can cover all of the ground that Reid can.

If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?
🤣🤣🤣🤣.... unbelievable, so those guys would be a HUGE net loss to nth!!

"We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us"

Then you describe nths management for god knows how long to a tee and in the same breath insinuate that there should be no pp given to WC...🤣🤣🤣

"If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?"

If West Coast are bottom 2 again with a lot of 100-point losses again in 2024, then I’m for them getting a priority pick after their first-rounder.

North Melbourne and Carlton were a rabble, but their low points were definitely not lower than West Coast. West Coast copped a 200+ score in the 2020s where teams don’t even come close to scoring that!

West Coast is the level of Melbourne ~2013 right now, so that’s priority pick territory. Another season of that and a priority pick would make sense to me.

Maybe also the wooden spoon side gets an end of 1st round pick 19 and not a 2nd round pick 19. Then at least then their 2nd pick gets protected from all the compo and priority picks.

What if they don't have any academy kids that year?

🤣🤣🤣🤣.... unbelievable, so those guys would be a HUGE net loss to nth!!

"We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us"

If we get Reid but miss Duursma, Goad and Hardeman in the process that's a huge net loss. (We still keep McKercher and WDawson.)

Then you describe nths management for god knows how long to a tee and in the same breath insinuate that there should be no pp given to WC...🤣🤣🤣

"If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?"

So you think its a ridiculous reason for denying a PP?

What if they don't have any academy kids that year?

Too bad.

They use the extra rookie spots.

If clubs get better access they will develop more kids.

Looks like bids from 21 will beallowed to be matched by non expansion states next year.

Gravey train for Lions and Swans no change? Still unlimited.

Lions likely get a top 4 father son again in Ashcroft Mrk 2.

Those changes alone didn't address why teams playing in grand finals need priority access.

Agreed, want anything that's done to be a blanket change not just WC.

Agreed.

Do not want the AFL to throw us a bone based on some formula no one knows or understands.

Want a clear system that applies to ANY club that finishes bottom 3 for 3 years in a row or more.

A clear formula that applies to ANY and EVERY club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, yeah we get it.

Now that Reid's in blue and gold, he's a complete spud and a 'mistake'.

North's offer was the worst of the lot, so they don't really have much to add to a conversation regarding what WCE should have done with pick 1.

Having said that did, did you notice only 1 of the 4 players WCE picked in the ND was a West Australian? It's almost as though WCE will pick who they consider the better talent, despite them being from interstate.

If we get Reid but miss Duursma, Goad and Hardeman in the process that's a huge net loss. (We still keep McKercher and WDawson.)

So you think its a ridiculous reason for denying a PP?
Do you think a club that refuses to invest into KPP's for the better part of 10 years should get a PP when they then let their best KPD leave for free?(sorry, pick #3...)

Hypocritical of me or of the WC supporters who used it as a justification for us not getting PPs this year?
You got some pics for being a basket case and for your club being mismanaged for so long in all areas, yet you say WC don't deserve anything for poor list management....can't have it both ways.

Yeah, yeah we get it.

Now that Reid's in blue and gold, he's a complete spud and a 'mistake'.

I think you'll find i've been sceptical of Reid all season, not so much that he's a spud but more that he's not that much better than the next five players drafted. I think that the output of Duursma + Mckercher > Output of Reid that's all.

He's certainly a good footballer but is he better than Daicos or Sheezel?

North's offer was the worst of the lot, so they don't really have much to add to a conversation regarding what WCE should have done with pick 1.

Having said that did, did you notice only 1 of the 4 players WCE picked in the ND was a West Australian? It's almost as though WCE will pick who they consider the better talent, despite them being from interstate.

Were you one of the people who said we shouldn't get PPs cos we didn't trade JHF for pick 6 and an early and late future first rounder? No wonder you bit that.

Do you think a club that refuses to invest into KPP's for the better part of 10 years should get a PP when they then let their best KPD leave for free?(sorry, pick #3...)

So because we invested in KPPs in eight of the last ten trade/draft periods we shouldn't get the legal (by AFL compo rules) compensation for a RFA who leaves our club and is on a reported 1.4 million dollars this season?

Is that what you're saying?

LOL.

How much can you get wrong in one post?

I think you'll find i've been sceptical of Reid all season, not so much that he's a spud but more that he's not that much better than the next five players drafted. I think that the output of Duursma + Mckercher > Output of Reid that's all.

He's certainly a good footballer but is he better than Daicos or Sheezel?

Were you one of the people who said we shouldn't get PPs cos we didn't trade JHF for pick 6 and an early and late future first rounder? No wonder you bit that.

So because we invested in KPPs in eight of the last ten trade/draft periods we shouldn't get the legal (by AFL compo rules) compensation for a RFA who leaves our club and is on a reported 1.4 million dollars this season?

Is that what you're saying?

LOL.

How much can you get wrong in one post?

Reid will be a terrific player, tho I do think Walter will become a champion of our game.

McKercher should become an A grader and a co-captain at Tassy.

Duursma may end up with his brother.

You got some pics for being a basket case and for your club being mismanaged for so long in all areas, yet you say WC don't deserve anything for poor list management....can't have it both ways.
I don't really believe that comment.

I just re arranged the view that we didn't deserve PPs because we turned down an offer of multiple first rounders for Pick one in 2021 to say exactly the same thing but about your club instead.

I was interested to see how the WC supporters who made that point or supported other posters making it during the year would respond.

Youse finished 9th in 2021 and have had two years in the bottom two. If youse finish last again next year then why shouldn't you get the same access to PPs that we did at the end of 2022? It would be completely unfair and hypocritical to deny that wouldn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back