Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing.

What's serong with you?
Real Madrid Football GIF by UEFA

Having stood next to Day recently he wouldn't be far off 195cm himself these days. I've seen pics of Weddle and Day standing next to each other and they look pretty much identical in height.

But yes they are very different players. As previously posted Weddle is very much like prime Kouta (a power athlete / runner who can play multiple positions) and Day is very much like a prime Hird (a super tough, one touch player who is incredibly composed with ball in hand).
A lot of players would be taller than listed in part due to how outdated the stats are.

Weddle has shown himself to be able to play true KPD, physically.

Day is definitely a much different player, Weddle as you said is more of a power athlete, Day is a good athlete but he is a footballer first, with his one touch and skills.

Can really see growth and development in one particular area over the last few weeks with young Weds ………. the area of intensity and the physicality of playing AFL. He is getting more confident in using his body and with his size/power has a bit of that good driver in heavy traffic look about him! Love seeing him in congestion around the middle of the ground 💪. With all the other traits he has could be anything for us 🙏

Lots of talk about what Weddle could turn into or where he could play...I like him where he is. Types like JUH, Naughton, Cameron, Curnow who are fit, fast, and willing to get up the ground and out work you. Weddle can go with them all day, compete in the air, and make you accountable going back the other way.
He will be a nightmare match up in a year or two.

Awesome player to have, well played to the recruiting team for landing that trade.

He's doing wonders down in the backline, but I wonder if he'd get the job on Tom Stewart when we play Geelong? He'd be a great matchup for him either in the air or on the ground, and could definitely hurt him on the scoreboard. Other sides have shown that if you stop Stewart, you basically stop Geelong.

Lots of talk about what Weddle could turn into or where he could play...I like him where he is. Types like JUH, Naughton, Cameron, Curnow who are fit, fast, and willing to get up the ground and out work you. Weddle can go with them all day, compete in the air, and make you accountable going back the other way.
He will be a nightmare match up in a year or two.

Awesome player to have, well played to the recruiting team for landing that trade.
Small correction I think he is a nightmare matchup now. I thought he clearly beat Cameron in the Geelong game when playing on him, he was too fast and agile for Cameron despite our poor center square work for much of that game. And week in week out he has proven that he doesn't get overwrought with anyone he plays on, just keeps being him.

Really want to see him get Curnow for the game against blues.

Speaking of Cameron I would love for Weddle to play the Cameron role at some point.

Just give him free reign to run around wherever from CHF all the way up to the HBF. I don't think there would be any defender in the comp that could go with him for the full game.

Speaking of Cameron I would love for Weddle to play the Cameron role at some point.

Just give him free reign to run around wherever from CHF all the way up to the HBF. I don't think there would be any defender in the comp that could go with him for the full game.

I've been touting this for a little while too. Let him free wheel from the HFF, no one will be able to keep up with him across the ground or air. I reckon he could really burn players running forward after working right up the ground. Plus he can launch them from 50m quite easily.

Hopefully we give it a try sometime this season.

Last edited:

Reckon he would be good for a couple of goals a game in that role.

Reckon he would be good for a couple of goals a game in that role.
Hawthorn had a pretty talented young bloke who started on the wing in the 80s.

Didn't really work out and ended up going bush somewhere where he kicked like a thousand goals at FF, before turning into a bit of a religious nutter.

Athletically though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's doing wonders down in the backline, but I wonder if he'd get the job on Tom Stewart when we play Geelong? He'd be a great matchup for him either in the air or on the ground, and could definitely hurt him on the scoreboard. Other sides have shown that if you stop Stewart, you basically stop Geelong.
well actually we showed that in that match a few years ago, when O'Meara went onto Stewart for the final quarter and held him statless and we won.

I loved Simpsons mid-season write up on Weds …… he asks to play on the oppositions best 😄

Games: 14
Average disposals: 14.9
Average intercept possessions: 4.4

“Weds is a pleasure to coach, he’s always looking to get better, and there’s not much he can’t do on a footy field, so just trying to help him impact games how he wants to. He can intercept mark, he can run all day, he can run down the wing and take four bounces and pump it inside 50, so we’ve seen some glimpses of what he’s capable of, some pretty unbelievable goals throughout the first half of the year. But he also gets big jobs on dangerous forwards and he relishes those challenges, Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, he's played on all these genuine superstars of the competition and he actually almost puts his hand up and comes to me and asks and wants that challenge. He’s going really well and we're really excited about what he could potentially do in the future.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back