Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned Reeves interviewed by the Talking Hawks.

Instead of resting on the bench for an extended period. How come Reeves isn’t instructed by the coaches to spend some time up forward when Meek is in the ruck? The “offensive” part of his game right now is almost non-existent. If he can start taking marks and kicking goals it would elevate his game. He is ranked 18th in the competition for marks and goals kicked among the starting rucks.

Instead of resting on the bench for an extended period. How come Reeves isn’t instructed by the coaches to spend some time up forward when Meek is in the ruck? The “offensive” part of his game right now is almost non-existent. If he can start taking marks and kicking goals it would elevate his game. He is ranked 18th in the competition for marks and goals kicked among the starting rucks.
I think they have tried plonking him forward a few times with no impact

He goes there for a genuine rest
And the opposition just run off him

When you see this at the ground it is like a giraffe galloping behind a hyena

Easy exit and the rest of the defensive structure breaks down

Now you might accept that if on the rare occasion he took a mark and made himself dangerous

Yet to see that

I think they have tried plonking him forward a few times with no impact

He goes there for a genuine rest
And the opposition just run off him

When you see this at the ground it is like a giraffe galloping behind a hyena

Easy exit and the rest of the defensive structure breaks down

Now you might accept that if on the rare occasion he took a mark and made himself dangerous

Yet to see that
A giraffe chasing a hyena...lol!

I think Reeves' best bet for kicking goals is to push forward when in the ruck himself and getting a mark inside our fifty. I recall he did take a couple of marks in the forward line last year and he wasn't a bad kick at goal when he did. He just doesn't present as a target very effectively unfortunately, at least not yet.

I think it’s a fitness issue. He’ll continue to build with time. Will need to continue to be patient but I think he will dominate in a year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting back to where he was last year.

I think the shoulder surgery has played a part in his inability to confidently mark.

Getting back to where he was last year.

I think the shoulder surgery has played a part in his inability to confidently mark.
I remember how promising his forward marking craft looked last year, particularly in the pre-season as second ruck while McEvoy or Lynch played first ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back