Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Boy are these victory laps going to look silly if he’s named as an emergency in a side that’s named with a sub-190cm CHF and FF.
Not really.
The club obviously thinks he’s worth consideration to be included in the team.

If he was as unprepared as so many are saying, he would not be in the squad.

I’ll support Whatever the club decides.

Not really.
The club obviously thinks he’s worth consideration to be included in the team.

If he was as unprepared as so many are saying, he would not be in the squad.

I’ll support Whatever the club decides.

Great news for Calsher if he gets named - I’ll be cheering as hard for him as anyone. However if he doesn’t get named in a side without a solitary KPF playing in it due to suspension and injury then it’s hardly the ‘TOLD YOU SO’ moment you’re so desperate for and would be more so the opposite. Hoping he does get picked though and kicks a bag on the day - I’ll be happily wrong if he’s more than ready to kill it at AFL level.

Great news for Calsher if he gets named - I’ll be cheering as hard for him as anyone. However if he doesn’t get named in a side without a solitary KPF playing in it due to suspension and injury then it’s hardly the ‘TOLD YOU SO’ moment you’re so desperate for and would be more so the opposite. Hoping he does get picked though and kicks a bag on the day - I’ll be happily wrong if he’s more than ready to kill it at AFL level.
Yes, yes. I’m so desperate for validation bc my life is empty.

Be calm my brother

If he comes into the side and takes one strong mark and kicks a goal, thats more then Chol has done all season.
What rubbish.

If they don't do a social media post, it ain't happening.

They will definitely be doing one for Calsher when it's his time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he should play but I'm not under the delusion that he would be deserving of a game at Geelong over Cameron and Hawkins.

However he's at Hawthorn and even if we rank him as our 6th best key forward behind Lewis, Chol, Gunston, Ramsden and DGB. 3 of those aren't playing and putting him 3rd inline if available forwards and Ramsden will need to ruck.

And even with Chol, Gunston, Ramsden/serong last week we were down a tall or 2.

Serong and Chol out need to bring him in.

And he still might not be even if he plays.

We are not exactly flush with key forwards at the moment.

Like every draftee, he is not the finished product and has work to do.
Watson has work to do too.

The debate was never if Dear was the finished product, or not.
We ALL AGREE he is not.

...and given we are not "flush with key forwards" he is the best available to play.
So he should play bc his form merits it.
That is all.

Everything else is BS.

Boy are these victory laps going to look silly if he’s named as an emergency in a side that’s selected a sub-190cm CHF and FF.

If that happens, it's not a victory or loss for anyone.

I'm not surprised either way, often being named is a reward for good form to tell blokes they're close.

That in itself is a huge step forward for Calsher and the club.

So excited about this guy, as we all should be.

He's kicked 9 goals from his last 4 games, if he sustains that average over 21 rounds he's on track to be the leagues leading goal kicker.

As it stand right now he's had the most shots on goal and sits 8th for total goals.

This:

If you've watched all the footage, there's been potential for a lot bigger return on the goals front.

The same guys banging on about Watson's shots at goal, are discounting Calsher's at VFL level.

It's a great metric to illustrate potential, beyond the actual goals he has kicked, which as pointed out, is an average that would push him up into the higher echelon of VFL goal kickers.

But there's also plenty of times poor kicks haven't hit him as well, or he's missed the goals completely because he's rushed things or executed poorly.

This is an awesome conversation to be involved in. We just need a few guys to come on an fill some gaps and it all turns around pretty damn quickly.

The problem right now is weak links that expose the team as a whole. The more of those are replaced, or made solid, the more wins we're going to get.

Like every draftee, he is not the finished product and has work to do.
Watson has work to do too.
Part of the appeal in playing for a bottom 4 club is you get your opportunities earlier than you would playing for a top 8 club, we're not going to know if he's ready until he gets onto the ground. I'd say Watson wasn't ready, we gave him a taste early to see what his appetite for hard work and development is like, nothing wrong with giving Dear a taste too just to set his expectations.

Part of the appeal in playing for a bottom 4 club is you get your opportunities earlier than you would playing for a top 8 club, we're not going to know if he's ready until he gets onto the ground. I'd say Watson wasn't ready, we gave him a taste early to see what his appetite for hard work and development is like, nothing wrong with giving Dear a taste too just to set his expectations.
Perfectly said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back