Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

he really needs to pump out some goals this week

I can’t think of the last standout game he’s had. So much potential but @ pick 61 maybe this is it. Feels like he was going better in 2022.

Last edited:
He somehow has problems to get into games. Get too little ball and he is not a big pressure player off the ball. Not sure what his problem is. Positioning, workrate, team role. He is so fast and became a pretty good shot for goal. I expected him to increase his disposals number naturally because of a better tank after a few preseasons which should result in more goals as well. But this has stagnated currently. Which a frustrating because his raw potential early in his career looked the goods...

If his intro prior to the start of the game is anything to go on he is a fan favourite, but we need more from Freddie.

When he’s switched on and running like the clappers with the ball, it’s electrifying.

But we need more than just occasional bursts of brilliance.
I think we are all hoping he will do something magical. I guess the good news is he can, but we haven't seen it for a while. Now would be good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If his intro prior to the start of the game is anything to go on he is a fan favourite, but we need more from Freddie.

When he’s switched on and running like the clappers with the ball, it’s electrifying.

But we need more than just occasional bursts of brilliance.

Occasional bursts of brilliance is really all we need if the rest of the side is sorted. Look at his stats and compare them to Bobby Hill over the last couple of years. Very similar output, yet people would salivate over having Hill in our side.

Outside a freakish GF performance (and another anomaly last week versus the bottom side), Hill is basically the same as Freddy with 10 touches average and fluctuating mostly between 0-1-2 goals. Averaging around 1.3-1.4 goals and 4-5 score involvements per game.

Occasional bursts of brilliance is really all we need if the rest of the side is sorted. Look at his stats and compare them to Bobby Hill over the last couple of years. Very similar output, yet people would salivate over having Hill in our side.

Outside a freakish GF performance (and another anomaly last week versus the bottom side), Hill is basically the same as Freddy with 10 touches average and fluctuating mostly between 0-1-2 goals. Averaging around 1.3-1.4 goals and 4-5 score involvements per game.
Freddy is one of those players that is going to benefit immensely from us being a genuine top 4 team. Same with Sturt and Amiss. The blokes who get into good spots all the time but get burned by poor decisions or execution.

I wasn’t aware of Freddie’s stats being so similar to Bobby Hill’s. It gives Freddie’s game some perspective Alfonz, but you just can’t help but think that Freddie is capable of giving more than he currently does.

Personally I think some of takes in here are weird. We’ve been a noticeably better team when Frederick is playing.

Having a player with his speed and skill on the HFF is a luxury most teams don’t have. The fact he score roughly a goal a game playing that role makes him better than most that do.

Seems to be a bit down the week after he returns from injury. That’s the only criticism I’d have. Very important player for us.

Half of Frederick’s role is to drag a defender as far away from the leading lanes as possible. When the opposition go with him, its job done but he’s invisible, if they let him go we need to be better at identifying he’s free and utilise him more as he’s one of our most reliable shots on goal.
A lot of our mids burn him, just like they burn Sturt and Amiss, it’s why it’s so good when one of our forwards are taking the kick I50 as they know who’s not getting closely marked and can usually get the ball to them. All of Treacy, Amiss, Sturt and Frederick are great at finding a target.

Half of Frederick’s role is to drag a defender as far away from the leading lanes as possible. When the opposition go with him, its job done but he’s invisible, if they let him go we need to be better at identifying he’s free and utilise him more as he’s one of our most reliable shots on goal.
A lot of our mids burn him, just like they burn Sturt and Amiss, it’s why it’s so good when one of our forwards are taking the kick I50 as they know who’s not getting closely marked and can usually get the ball to them. All of Treacy, Amiss, Sturt and Frederick are great at finding a target.
A lot of his runs to drag defenders away would be towards the fat side? Serong and Brayshaw are great balanced mids and will lead us to our first flag or die trying, but their weakest elements are vision ball in hand and long kicking. The more the ball in future is in the hands of Young and Johnson and other longer kicking mids, the more he'll get used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back