List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

That highlights package for the year looks really good. We all know, however that Campbell hasn't consistently showed enough at the level and next year will be a make or break season.

I think there is definitely enough talent there, I am really hoping that the new coach comes in and gives him the confidence to put it together.

Get him to half back, let him play on someone and focus on a role and then give him a licence to get the ball and run and create.

Chesser's a prime example of why the WAFL team doesn't work. If we had a full setup of League, Reserves, Colts, U10, Auskick etc, he'd be able to go back to the level where he caught Pie Man's attention and build his confidence back up shitmixing kids at half time.

Animated GIF

Again - shep

And I’ll add - waterman
The list of players who showed very little in 4-5 years on the list and never made it would be about 25 times as long as your list of two. Challenge me to trot out some names and I'll be happy to do so. By my reckoning Chesser's a 25/1 shot to suddenly blossom. Even at those odds I wouldn't be wasting my money.

Again - shep

And I’ll add - waterman
Shep always had ability and so did Waterman. Or ( Watermelon) as some disrespectful posters called him.

I hope I'm wrong about Chesser I'm not so confident on him making it. Perhaps as some has suggested time in the midfield may be the making of him.

To me he represents terrible recruiting in that West Coasts list was getting into bad shape. They didn't have the luxury of taking speculate or cute picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah look, its a shame that we appear to have blown this first round pick back in 2021. But I guess you win some, you lose some.

Chuck him back in the WAFL as injury cover, and give him some KPIs to meet to say "you do these things and we'll consider you for team selection". Think that's about the best we can offer him.

Yeah look, its a shame that we appear to have blown this first round pick back in 2021. But I guess you win some, you lose some.

Chuck him back in the WAFL as injury cover, and give him some KPIs to meet to say "you do these things and we'll consider you for team selection". Think that's about the best we can offer him.
Costly error by ROB and co.

Costly error by ROB and co.

Overselling it a bit I think. Chesser certainly hasn't set the world on fire, but holding that against the recruiters assumes there were other, obvious, options that would have been significantly better. Still at least a couple of years away from a definitive answer but to mine "costly error" would be missing out on a superstar, and there just aren't any in that region of the '21 draft.

IMG_5695.jpeg

Port took Josh Sinn with the pick we traded to them

From that list I think Wilmot is the one I’d most like followed by Lohmann

The rest haven’t done that much to suggest Chesser is a bust in comparison to who we might have picked

View attachment 2096798

The rest haven’t done that much to suggest Chesser is a bust in comparison to who we might have picked

JVR too, but I mean how many KPF’s can a team have (and we were always set on a small after loading up on talls in prior drafts).

Hobbs being speculated in trade circles, to get opportunities away from an underperforming Dons midfield. Sinn - basically completely unsighted I think.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So picked up in 21. Does one preseason then is out for a year with an ankle before the season starts (2022). Plays 23 and 24. So coming into, effectively his third year. Spent a good deal of this year building up a tank running up and down the wing. Bit early to cut him I would have thought. Plenty of others on the chopping block before him.

So picked up in 21. Does one preseason then is out for a year with an ankle before the season starts (2022). Plays 23 and 24. So coming into, effectively his third year. Spent a good deal of this year building up a tank running up and down the wing. Bit early to cut him I would have thought. Plenty of others on the chopping block before him.

I don't think anyone begrudges the guy a chance to find his feet. The issue is that players who make it manage to show you some flashes while they are finding their feet.

My concern with Chess is that the flashes have been very few and far between from a decent bit of exposure. Even more worrying is that he seemingly has two below grade (soft) efforts to offset the odd flash he does muster up.

Hopefully it all clicks for him under a new regime because athletically and talent wise I think he has it. Needs a LOT more campaigner about him to make it though IMO.

Shep always had ability and so did Waterman. Or ( Watermelon) as some disrespectful posters called him.

I hope I'm wrong about Chesser I'm not so confident on him making it. Perhaps as some has suggested time in the midfield may be the making of him.

To me he represents terrible recruiting in that West Coasts list was getting into bad shape. They didn't have the luxury of taking speculate or cute picks.
Both of them were fringe players.

View attachment 2096798

That part of the draft was absolutely garbage. I think we did well later, with Hough and J Williams looking good. I'm still optimistic with Bazzo if he stays fit.

I think Chesser will find a role. Might not be a star but has an athelitic profile that will be useful. Would like to see him try HB.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back