Warning Negative Question Ahead. Vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can take this game right up to the Hawks. If we run, chase, harass and hit them with the same intensity we showed on the weekend, we will be right in it.

An important game for us. We don't need to win it, but we really need to show some spine.

Line in the sand game.... anyone???

We need to stay mentally focussed for four quarters. This may be tough against a solid more experienced side. I can see Hawthorn are stonger in all areas of the field, however, if we continue to provide a "contest" at each stoppage and are cleaner with our disposals, which we can only better oursleves at, we may have a chance at winning or moreso being competitve.

I loved watching Lonergan/Myers/Hislop/Reimers and to some degree Stanton Houli and Lovett go the hard ball against the bigger bodied Adelaide players on Friday night. If they can provide some consistency and avoid injuries, regardless of the final score, I'll be very impressed!

They have been off the past couple of weeks and as the Hawthorn poster pointed out - they no longer have a 'quarterback' with Dew, Hodge and Guerra all out.

Sewell is playing injured and there must still be a doubt on Lewis as well.

They are vulnerable.

Agreed. We are.

I'm more than a little nervous.

No Chance. I suggest you read Fridays Herald Sun Column "The Great Ruck Myth"

Campbell (11.9% hit out to advantage success rate) and Taylor (10.5%) rank third and fourth in effectiveness. The only Ruckmen to rank above them in this stat are Sandilands (1st 13,6%) and Lade (13.4%). Cox ranks fifth (10.3%), though I also believe him to be the best individual ruckman.
But as a duo, there are no combination that are close to as effective.

I agree! :thumbsu:

P.S. I however have a similar train of thought as Gerard Healy.

With only Hodge an Dew as maybes to come in (Hodge often Rusty after a layoff too I might add) why could you not replicate Melb's performance against us

We can only hope :)
How quick do these matches sell out usually? Like say I wanted to go watch Ess V Wce?
I went to Kang V Sydney this year that was great. I wanna see my own team play now though lol!

We can only hope :)
How quick do these matches sell out usually? Like say I wanted to go watch Ess V Wce?
I went to Kang V Sydney this year that was great. I wanna see my own team play now though lol!

Your best bet is probably an MCG match.

Telstra Dome games sell out very, very fast. The game against WC last year :)D:D:D great game) was sold out quickly, and completely.

I sat right at the back of the Telstra dome last time and I could see everything perfectly!
do you miss out on much at the MCG up the back? is everything just a tiny speck? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the game?
Do you still believe the Hawks ruck team are 9th at best?

Yes I do. They are top notch around the ground, no question about it, but in the ruck, they still aren't great.

I made a point of watching the ruck contests very closely on Saturday night, and I did that for the first quarter and a bit, before I really got drawn into the game.

I saw Hille winning a lot of the ball, and even Bellchambers in his first game getting some good hitouts.

Hille had the most hitouts of anyone on the ground, and he wasn't rucking against a first gamer.

Anyway, one game does not make or break a player/combo's ranking. Well done, you got more hitouts as a pair than us. That doesn't make you better than the players I listed.

To restate: Hawthorn's ruckmen are exceptional around the ground, not exceptional in the actual ruck.

I saw Hille winning a lot of the ball, and even Bellchambers in his first game getting some good hitouts.

Herald Sun stats had Essendon as a team with 27 Hit outs, Hille was credited with all of them. I missed the game but that is inferring that Bellcahmbers got none. Anyone got the correct stats, or is the HUN correct.
Going to drum the same effectiveness line, but the Hawks ruckmen, despite each having less hitouts than Hille, used their taps to more advantage, giving their crumbers better use of the ball.

If only Laycock would pull his thumb out of his ass, he has the ability. We potentially could be up their with the best combos. Damn You Lazy Laycock! Damn you to Hell!

Herald Sun stats had Essendon as a team with 27 Hit outs, Hille was credited with all of them. I missed the game but that is inferring that Bellcahmbers got none. Anyone got the correct stats, or is the HUN correct.
Going to drum the same effectiveness line, but the Hawks ruckmen, despite each having less hitouts than Hille, used their taps to more advantage, giving their crumbers better use of the ball.

If only Laycock would pull his thumb out of his ass, he has the ability. We potentially could be up their with the best combos. Damn You Lazy Laycock! Damn you to Hell!

I could have sworn I saw Tommy win at least one, but I'll defer to the stats men.

The better use of the ball by Hawthorn's crumbers doesn't make Hille any worse of a ruckman. His hitouts are his work, and our midfield's weakness doesn't take away from that.

rubbish. Just hitting the ball is not jobe done. It's half the job, It is difficult but if you are able to hit it to where your crumbers should be, then you are much more effective at starting a play for your team. Its comparable to a good basketball centre who can tap it straight to a team mate.

rubbish. Just hitting the ball is not jobe done. It's half the job, It is difficult but if you are able to hit it to where your crumbers should be, then you are much more effective at starting a play for your team. Its comparable to a good basketball centre who can tap it straight to a team mate.

Say Hille gets the ball down, straight to the player, right where he wanted it to go. That player doesn't dispose of it quick enough, and is tackled. Effective hit out? Hille did his job, and did exactly what he wanted.

The stat is too subjective for mine.

Say Hille gets the ball down, straight to the player, right where he wanted it to go. That player doesn't dispose of it quick enough, and is tackled. Effective hit out? Hille did his job, and did exactly what he wanted.

The stat is too subjective for mine.

Yes Hille has done his Job. But getting it to one of your players gives you a hell of a lot better chance of setting up a play than just randomly hitting it fifty/fifty contests that are going nowhere. Besides, the player with the ball who is tackled would be extremely unlucky to be pinged for holding the ball in the midst of the throng. That is why it can take many bounces to get the ball clear sometimes. I did not say it was an easy thing to do, hence their effectiveness rates are generally below 25%.
That said, your crumbers have a better chance of doing something if they get the ball, than if they don't. It's not rocket science. It can be a subjective stat, but it is an essential one IMO. Being a ruckman is a thankless job sometimes, your best games may not be the ones where you have taken ten marks and kick goals. You may have very little stats wise, but your hit outs may have set your team up all day. As a ruckman, you have no doubt learnt this, as I did back in my day.

Anywayz, as long as Hille keeps doing what he is doing, we will both be happy.

Yes Hille has done his Job. But getting it to one of your players gives you a hell of a lot better chance of setting up a play than just randomly hitting it fifty/fifty contests that are going nowhere. Besides, the player with the ball who is tackled would be extremely unlucky to be pinged for holding the ball in the midst of the throng. That is why it can take many bounces to get the ball clear sometimes. I did not say it was an easy thing to do, hence their effectiveness rates are generally below 25%.
That said, your crumbers have a better chance of doing something if they get the ball, than if they don't. It's not rocket science. It can be a subjective stat, but it is an essential one IMO. Being a ruckman is a thankless job sometimes, your best games may not be the ones where you have taken ten marks and kick goals. You may have very little stats wise, but your hit outs may have set your team up all day. As a ruckman, you have no doubt learnt this, as I did back in my day.

Anywayz, as long as Hille keeps doing what he is doing, we will both be happy.

Hypothetically, if you put the same Dean Cox (i.e. he's playing at an identical level) into Geelong's midfield, and into Melbourne's midfield, he'd have a higher efficiency rating at Geelong. Hence the stat not being a fair one.

Naturally, but what stat does is not corrupted by that. Russell Robertson would be a much better forward at Geelong. Brent stanton would be a better player at Geelong. When a team all gels, every players stats get a lift. Is Dean Cox only the best ruckman because he had Judd, Cousins and Kerr at his feet? I don't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back