VFL Round 13: GOLD COAST SUNS vs ESSENDON

Remove this Banner Ad

Tsatas, Standard stuff, we know his hands are awesome, tackle and pressure was pretty good, kicking execution let him down one or two times. Tagged Fiorini completely out of it in the 2nd half while maintaining his own output. Think Fiorini had 27 in the first half and finished with 33.
Hobbs, typical Hobbs, hard at it, with a touch of class away from the contest but maybe a little careless. Glad he got through.
Shiel, probably our best, classy hands in tight to release others into space, still don’t think he’s massively confident in his body because he doesn’t want to kick it.
Setterfield, glad he got through, still looked a bit hesitant to smash in like he normally does.
Hayes, probably lowered his colours to Read but got burnt a lot by bad turnovers, his intercept marking and ball use is consistently good.
Bryan, split decision with Moyle, Moyle does a lot of bash and crash stuff that Bryan doesn’t but Bryan nice and clean with his skills.
Daveys, both similar, constructive with the footy when they get it and kicked a nice goal each but not bring enough to bring physical heat they need to, it’s all inferred pressure with their speed.
Lual, seriously impressive first quarter and a half where he looked confident and imposing and used it well but faded significantly after that.
Roberts, pretty standard for him, skills are so clean but laid some big tackles and smashed in a couple of times which was pleasing because it’s not something I normally associate with him.
Vigo, really quiet, just couldn’t get into it.
Tex, first time I’ve properly seen him back and I’m fully sold, punches his kicks flat, competes hard and hard to knock off the ball.

If we have Caddy and El Hawli as marking targets in the front half we probably win.

So Tex looked the goods. I’ve got him on the delist list atm. He’s making it pretty interesting tho
Glad they gave him a shot at half back. He just needed to be played in a spot where he could get into the game so that he could show what level he is actually at.

Glad they gave him a shot at half back. He just needed to be played in a spot where he could get into the game so that he could show what level he is actually at.
That's great to hear they've moved him there. Have always thought his skills look up to scratch, just a question of whether he can get it enough (or be fit enough) to make an impact.

This is a good development.

why am I the only one not impressed with any of the AFL listers..

No one lighting it up and demanding selection.
Earlier in the year there was a couple of VFL matches and I was more impressed by the non AFL Bombers than the AFL listed in terms of their potential. These guys that have come in were they selected by the new non Dodoro recruiting regime?

why am I the only one not impressed with any of the AFL listers..

No one lighting it up and demanding selection.
Not the only one. Nobody really bashing the door down.

Shiel probably deserves a full senior game and Caddy ready but that is it unless we get injuries.

Tsatas, Standard stuff, we know his hands are awesome, tackle and pressure was pretty good, kicking execution let him down one or two times. Tagged Fiorini completely out of it in the 2nd half while maintaining his own output. Think Fiorini had 27 in the first half and finished with 33.
Hobbs, typical Hobbs, hard at it, with a touch of class away from the contest but maybe a little careless. Glad he got through.
Shiel, probably our best, classy hands in tight to release others into space, still don’t think he’s massively confident in his body because he doesn’t want to kick it.
Setterfield, glad he got through, still looked a bit hesitant to smash in like he normally does.
Hayes, probably lowered his colours to Read but got burnt a lot by bad turnovers, his intercept marking and ball use is consistently good.
Bryan, split decision with Moyle, Moyle does a lot of bash and crash stuff that Bryan doesn’t but Bryan nice and clean with his skills.
Daveys, both similar, constructive with the footy when they get it and kicked a nice goal each but not bring enough to bring physical heat they need to, it’s all inferred pressure with their speed.
Lual, seriously impressive first quarter and a half where he looked confident and imposing and used it well but faded significantly after that.
Roberts, pretty standard for him, skills are so clean but laid some big tackles and smashed in a couple of times which was pleasing because it’s not something I normally associate with him.
Vigo, really quiet, just couldn’t get into it.
Tex, first time I’ve properly seen him back and I’m fully sold, punches his kicks flat, competes hard and hard to knock off the ball.

If we have Caddy and El Hawli as marking targets in the front half we probably win.
We miss an afl standard key forward more than mid sized guys who could potentially pluck a goal or two. Caddy gives us a pack to crumb off. No Caddy lets the Suns defenders control the high ball with little crumbs for Davey and Davey.

Lual is such a weird prospect. Looks a million bucks but then looks like a VFL rookie at other times.

The other one I am more curious than ever is Tex. Stats say good to very good, and he was. Defensively he was caught out a number of times which allowed the Suns to run the ball in at will. He wasn't alone in this btw. He had mates

I liked they are trying something different. A failed fwd in defence seems to be the career lifeline at Essendon FC. Maybe this can be another

watch this space
At the end of the day "if and when " they finally make it then the AFL will look but that has to happen first . Not like the Victorian clubs have not had success off the back of favorable F/S or draft concessions or Academy picks in the last 20 years. The issue for us is really the fact it has never totally worked for us for whatever reason.

Watching the game yesterday and it was clear that we were woefully lacking for talls. Of course Caddy being held over and Reid, Baldwin and Weid all out didn’t help.

But we have a lot of players in that side that are pacey and apply great pressure - Davey twins, Peris (noting he is not on our list) Tex, Lual. Certainly a bit to work with.

We also looked so much better with a midfield of AFL listed players which is a good sign our injury list is shrinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back